Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oakie doakie, pretty sure I have my sick pistol squared away, so I'm ready to do some mods/improvements .

First thing I need is a new trigger ...it bites/pinches the hell out of me .
I see the Northwood aluminum trigger mentioned regularly .
Is it the only game in town?
and for the guys that have installed the trigger, has it eliminated the pinch?

rear sight...do i have to make my own, (I have access to a mill) or are there any aftermarket options available?

front sight.
I can see it's staked in...or rather the two plastic tenons are melted/mushroomed to hold it in place .
(guess "pins' would be the proper term, since they're round and not rectangle)

My questions are;
What size are the holes in the slide?
I'm thinking i can fabricate some beads using brass rod .
Either stake 'em in or more likely thread the slide and rod and stake 'em too

dual brass beads "might" be kind of cool....:cool:
maybe...I would like to get rid of the plastic though

lastly , I plan to detail strip the frame and polish ignition internals .
are there any cautions/advise before i start punching out pins?
do i need a new pin set before I punching out pins?
(will the plastic pins be destroyed ?)

Thanks

..l.T.A.

·
Administrator
31,987 Posts
Usually, the frame pins can be re-used, even several times.

Knock them out from the side with the dimple. Replace them the same way.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oakie doakie, pretty sure I have my sick pistol squared away, so I'm ready to do some mods/improvements .

First thing I need is a new trigger ...it bites/pinches the hell out of me .
I see the Northwood aluminum trigger mentioned regularly .
Is it the only game in town?
and for the guys that have installed the trigger, has it eliminated the pinch?
Thanks
..l.T.A.
The aluminum trigger seems good, but putting some shrink wrap on the trigger also takes away the trigger bite, for a lot less money and effort, at least this was my experience.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As far as I know, the only 2 triggers out there are the stock KTs & the Northwood. I have a Northwood & really like it. Since you sound like a machinist/mechanical engineer & appear to have access to a machine shop, you might have access to an anodizing station too. Check out my back anodized Northwood Trigger here: http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=245462&highlight=black+anodized

As for the pins, I had no problem punching them out & reusing them when I completely torn down the gun to install the Northwood Trigger.

Can't help with the sights.

Sean

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
excellent, Gents, Thanks

Roger on the pins, Tx

I'll try the shrink wrap , Ron

Not a machinist and not hardly any kind of engineer Begleysm
Those guys deal with lots of figures and figuring .... I can barely count past ten without taking off my shoes...:p)
I'm sorta of a jack of all trades though and have worn a lot of different hats.
I'm semi retired now and have plenty time on my hands ..

the gun stuff is fun to me, but my friend does own a machine shop and he lets me play on the Bridgeport.
I'm actually thinking about buying a small mill, cause i do a lot of gun stuff .
Strictly a hobby though.

I don't intend to pimp out my PF9 like i do most of my 1911s , but will do some practical mods and tuning .

Sights I can see (fast) and a trigger that doesn't bite is where I'll start

Thanks again all

..l.T.A.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nothing but good have I heard about Pops trigger. I am almost positive my next investment will be the TI 22 conversion, after that tho it's Pops trigger.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Taking some of the curve out of the factory trigger really reduces the pinch during recoil. And it costs nothing. I removed the frame from the grip and placed the front (trigger) end in boiling water for a few minutes; then I clamped the trigger lightly in a vice and let it cool. Much more comfortable. At least one other member accomplished the same thing w/o taking the firearm apart; he used a heat gun on the trigger.

The Northwood website has very detailed instructions for disassembling the PF-9 and putting it together again.

·
Registered
718 Posts
1-50 guns will have a pin that simply refuses to come out without destroying it. I have had a couple of pf9's and p3's that took way more pounding than normal. When I go to put them back together the cause has been frame holes just a hair out of line. You will know as soon as you start if you have one of these. If you do just order a couple of spares from KT. Otherwise they will come out with very light tapping.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1-50 guns will have a pin that simply refuses to come out without destroying it. I have had a couple of pf9's and p3's that took way more pounding than normal. When I go to put them back together the cause has been frame holes just a hair out of line. You will know as soon as you start if you have one of these. If you do just order a couple of spares from KT. Otherwise they will come out with very light tapping.
Thanks Reboot

think i'll just order a pin set just to be safe .
I'm assuming KT has a website to order from??
I'm also assuming they sell mags ...I need a few

I figure I'll stick with OEM mags , unless someone knows of better aftermarket mags.
( like can be found for 1911s)
The OEM mag seems to be of good quality though.
I've never any troubles with MecGar/ACT/Novak mags in my 1911s
Which is what this one "looks" like (to me anyway)..typical Italy made mag

Thing is, I see prices for PF9 mags all over the map.
Midway has 'em for $18 and I've seen some places asking as much as $36 for the same mag :eek:

if they're within a couple bukz of Midway's price , I'll buy 'em from KT when buying the pins

..l.T.A.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hogue and hogue upside down, bike inner tube etc

I see some have installed the Handall grip and some have it upside down. I made a bike inner tube sleeve that smooths out the grip some.
How does the Hogue function in upside down position?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I see some have installed the Handall grip and some have it upside down. I made a bike inner tube sleeve that smooths out the grip some.
How does the Hogue function in upside down position?
I have a hogue jr. On mine, I've had it on both ways, for me, I couldn't tell an advantage over which way it was installed. I do like it on there tho, smooths the grip feel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts