Re: Upgrades

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by Liberty4Ever, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I like the New feature in the threads. Presumably it takes me to the start of the posts I haven't seen in that thread, which is way more user friendly than starting at the beginning and scrolling, or jumping to the Last Post.

I've had trouble replying to a private message. Everything seems to work, right up until I click the Send button. Then I get an error and the message isn't sent.

104 An Error Has Occurred!: Unable to open 3.txt

I'm not trying to send any graphics or anything special. It's just a simple text message.

As others have said... A big thanks to Ray for implementing the new software, and a big thanks to TxCajun for supporting the changes and the inevitable issues it causes.

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    A big thanks for the updates and all the work that went into it! [smiley=dankk2.gif]

3. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Thanks for all the updates, Ray! I have a problem though. I can't get into some of my old threads to update them: PF9 History, PF9 Dealer List, Who Has Bought a PF9. There's no modify icon to click, How do I edit and update?

Packer.

4. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    I think you can only modify a post for a limited time after it's posted.
    After that, post a new reply.

On a different topic, even with the new script, the load on the server was ridiculous.
    We've got a Pentium 4 CPU running at 2.80GHz, 1024 MB of memory, and it couldn't really keep up.
    We needed a server that is three times as fast in order to really keep up.
    ( For whoever that is browsing right now with Ubuntu, the load average was around 2.8 :) )
    You guys may have noticed the pages just didn't load very fast.

I just reprogrammed the script a bit to try to bring the load down and make the thread list load a lot faster.
    By "thread list" I mean pages like this one:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=501

It worked. If you try that link you should see it loads incredibly fast now.
    The load went from 2.8, meaning the server needed to be 2.8 times fast, to around 0.28,
    meaning we're only using 1/4 of the server's power, and we're using 1/10th of what we
    used to require before the programming change. That does come at a cost, though.
    The "new" icons on the message list page no longer indicate whether or not there is a
    new post you haven't seen. Instead the definition of "new" is a bit murky.
    I'm going to run it this way for a little while and see how it goes. I'd like to have the
    "new" icons working well, but if having them means making the site slow and I
    end up having to shell out $3,500 for a higher end server I may live without "new"
    icons for a couple of months ,at least, until I'm done building the new server that I was planning
    to build anyway.

5. CC_Dave

CC_Dave New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Just thought I would let the Moderators know that for some reason, my stored password was replaced with something else I had never seen before. The user name was 360 and the password became some random mess of letters. I simple logged in and put in my user name and password and replaced the old values stored in my browser. Just though I would mention it in case it happened to anyone else. Exerything else looks fine. Nice looking update. Thanks for all of the effort guys, you do a great job.

Dave
    :)

6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Surly there is a way around this. If I have to add a new reply every time I update a list, then these threads will soon hog up the whole page.

Packer.

7. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Surly there is a way around this. If I have to add a new reply every time I update a list, then these threads will soon hog up the whole page.

Packer.
    [/quote]

I'm afraid that's built in to the board for those times when you don't want people to be able to go back
    and change what they said, those times when you want to hold them accountable for what they said.
    I'm not sure what you mean about hogging up the whole page, though. You've already hogged up the
    whole thread posting "reserved" 10 times as it is. Other than posting a reply to that thread, you could instead
    post a LINK to a page with the list somewhere if you have some web site you can update, or I could make
    you an account on the KTOG server where you could put lists as web pages.

8. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005

Packer.
    [/quote]

I'm afraid that's built in to the board for those times when you don't want people to be able to go back
    and change what they said, those times when you want to hold them accountable for what they said.
    I'm not sure what you mean about hogging up the whole page, though.  You've already hogged up the
    whole thread posting "reserved" 10 times as it is.  Other than posting a reply to that thread, you could instead
    post a LINK to a page with the list somewhere if you have some web site you can update, or I could make
    you an account on the KTOG server where you could put lists as web pages.

[/quote]

Hold us accountable? Is this now Russia? Are we all criminals or first graders? Midiman, how did you get control of this forum, and what have you done with Ray?
    :)
      Those posts contain much-accessed and valued information. Some of them are more than ten posts long. It only makes sense if it is all together in consecutive posts. If I have to recopy all those posts everytine I want to add something, The thread will soon cover the whole forum page. This is just not a workable solution. There was no problem going back and adding the new info by edit with the old system.

I need the reserved sections to add the information as it expands, while keeping it all in the same easily accessable place.

BTW: Now I cannot return PMs because an error message pops up and I lose everything that was typed.

Packer.

9. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    [quote author=Liberty4Ever link=1185078958/0#6 date=1185124317
    I've had trouble replying to a private message. Everything seems to work, right up until I click the Send button. Then I get an error and the message isn't sent.

104 An Error Has Occurred!: Unable to open 3.txt
    [/quote]

IM replies should be fixed now.

10. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    There HAVE in fact been problems of two or more members getting into a ****ing match, then one guy posts calling the
    other a %^!*@ and threatening him. So guy #2 reponds to what guys #1 said, calling him a *#&^# in return.
    Ten minutes later the first guy changes the post to remove the "evidence" of what they said, making it look like
    guy #2 attacked him out of the blue. It's unfortunate that we have that kind of childish behavior, but we do.
    Unfortunately that means in some cases we need to be able to see who said what.

So if they are ten posts long already, just add post #11 with the updated information. I'm not understanding what the problem is.
    Anyway we have about 18 web based message boards we monitor for my work and every single one of them works the same way and
    it seems to work fine for someone to just post a reply when they have new information. If you have a list that is updated daily or something
    then like I said the post can LINK to that list which is somewhere else. I'm afraid I can't reprogram it to allow people to edit posts forever,
    but maybe if I could better understand what the problem is we could come up with another solution. I'm not understanding why it would be
    such a problem if there were 11, 12, or even 30 posts in a thread.

11. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003

Thanks for the compliments. The passwords are now encrypted so that hackers don't get them.

12. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Two Pistol Packer, although I'm not quite understanding your problem, yzguy, TxCajun and I can still modify posts
    if one needs to be modified every now and again.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    True.  Worst case scenario, go in and copy your old post.  Paste it into a PM.  
    Edit as needed and PM it to me with a link and description of the post you want replaced.

14. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    That's just all too complicated. I guess it's now impossible to DO such educational posts anymore, so they will just become extinct now. Too bad! A lot of KTOGers found them valuable. For me at least, the upgrade was a downgrade.

Packer.

15. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    This is just a minor note, but I sometimes use my browser's "Zoom In" feature on people's avatars to see clearly what they are posting. That is no longer possible. I do agree with 2PP that not being able to update lists in a practical manner is a negative for the very few people who use this technique (I don't have occasion to). Adding a "spell check" feature would be handy. You can see one on this board here: http://p64.proboards67.com/

16. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    You guys know that the Google tool bar has a spell checker that works on anything you type in the browser window. I have been using it for about 2 years without any problems. I use it to spell check all of my email messages and my KTOG post.

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    When the installation is complete and all the glitches are out, the added benefits of this new software are absolutely too numerous to mention.  There are dozens of important improvements that the average user would never be aware of.  The ability to modify a post days later is not critical.  There are easy ways around that.  FWIW, I visited several forums today and checked.  Guess what?  I was unable to modify my posts... anywhere.  

18. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    When the installation is complete and all the glitches are out, the added benefits of this new software are absolutely too numerous to mention.  There are dozens of important improvements that the average user would never be aware of.  The ability to modify a post days later is not critical.  There are easy ways around that.  FWIW, I visited several forums today and checked.  Guess what?  I was unable to modify my posts... anywhere.  
    [/quote]
    I also agree w/TPP. Now when a person post in the Trading Post, they will not be able to go back a week later and change the thread heading to SOLD or SPF. Makes it a mess looking for what's really for sale. Just my .02 worth and that's more than I paid to be here so TIFWIW. If it gets to where we don't like it I guess we can take our marbles and go home.
    Ray and Tx - thanks for all you do,
                                                     Joe

19. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    I think for the most part we all behave as adults and the community is what I would term self-moderating (for the most part). With the old YaBB code, 2PP and others could modify posts at any time. This was useful for threads suchs as the "List of people who bought a PF9" and as has been already mentioned is also very useful for threads in the Trade forum. I respectfully request that adding this functionality back to the Forums at least be investigated to see how difficult it would be. I haven't actually looked at the code but it may be as easy as simply replacing a particular section of the new code with the the same section from the old code.

20. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    THANK YOU RAY - AGAIN!

Just some input - the new threads indicator was one of the things I like most about this board and was extremely valuable to me. It seems crazy to me now to have a "mark posts as read" in the upper right hand corner that practically does nothing. I liked being able to glance at what is new since I last read. It allowed me to keep up without going into each thread.

And as to 2pp's points. I agree that the way we have been doing things definately won't work with just adding a new reply at the end - the for sale thread was a great example. It just made sense to go back and edit the first post as "SOLD" so every person looking in the future doesn't have to read through a whole page (or pages) of replies just to find out its not available any more. Again, another time saver. And when info needs to be corrected, it makes sense to go back and correct it so someone doesn't have to ready every post in the thread just to see if there was a correction or a change...

We can deal with both of these things, and the increased speed is awesome! But I do think that at least with regard to these two things (so far) we have not moved ahead.

And again, thank you. I don't want to have you in any way feel like we are being ungrateful because we are not. This is awesome and we appreciate your efforts. What I am trying to do is not complain but provide some input just in case it can be easily accomodated.

-Scott