Re: Looking for info on the Metal Mag Catch

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gnugung, Apr 2, 2010.

1. gnugung

gnugung New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I just replaced the worn plastic mag catch on my P3AT (by removing the frame) with another plastic one from Kel-Tec, and its not much better - it generally stays in, but you can pull it out if you try. It really needs a metal mag catch. I suppose I could grind a flat piece of steel into shape, if I invested the time, but I am not willing to invest the time - time is money. I see the Keltec 9mm PF9 now comes with a metal mag catch. And so does the Ruger .380 LCP! The easiest solution might be to sell this POS and replace it. I am not interested in joining a Kel-Tec R&D team and paying for the privilige! I just want a gun that goes bang every time and the mag doesn't fall out!

2. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Do yourself a huge favor and sand the plastic catch down to dang near flush with the frame. It will make ISPC mag changes impossible, but then again were you really gonna shoot competition with your pocket pistol? :eek: ;D

Anyhow if you sand it significantly the mag dropping will go away and after a range trip or two you will be totally used to shoving the tip of your thumb into the catch.

As a side note I have no idea why Keltec makes the release stick up so high. Folks with big hands always have this problem when shooting because of it.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Consider the mag catch to be adjustable.   ;)

4. gnugung

gnugung New Member

Apr 2, 2010

Engineer88:
    Do yourself a huge favor and sand the plastic catch down to dang near flush with the frame..Folks with big hands always have this problem when shooting because of it.  [/quote]

gnugung: Do yourself a huge favor and don't try to patronize your way out of Keltec's failures by scapegoating the blame onto the customers. The blame is not mine, the blame is Kel-Tec's. I was not unwittingly or negligently pushing the mag catch button, the edge of the catch inside the magazine well that engages the slot in the magazine, was all worn away because the part was made of soft plastic and the magazine it engaged was made of hard steel. I was going to let the legal liability issue slide, but I still have the old mag catch here I could use it in a lawsuit if Keltec company loyalists try deny Keltec's responsibility and pin the blame on me.

5. mcinil

mcinil New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Glad I have small hands. I haven't had any problem with mine but think a metal release would be best.

MC.

6. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    What kind of lawsuit?

You are aware the part is defective and said so on a public forum. KelTec will replace the part for free. Any situation you put yourself in that results in injury due to this worn part is negligence on your part, not Kel Tec's.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    So what, you are going to sue Kel-tec fans here at KTOG? You are were a real piece of work. Sorry you didn't make the IQ cut past 2 posts. ;D

[​IMG]