Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
.300HAMR
6.5Grendel

Is it possible to have the barrel bored to a bigger diameter, button rifled and then recoated with QPQ Melonite?

·
Registered
6 Posts
.300HAMR
6.5Grendel

Is it possible to have the barrel bored to a bigger diameter, button rifled and then recoated with QPQ Melonite?
I would also like to know this. If I could take just a regular RDB barrel and bore it out to .350 legend that seems like the easiest to make out of a .223 chamber, just lengthen it within the right tolerance, but I'm unsure if the barrel would be thick enough to withstand that, or if I could get someone with a machine shop to help me turn a .350 AR barrel into a .350 RDB barrel.

If KelTec actually started making more barrels I'd love 6.5, since they've apparently already made them so they MUST have SOME tooling for that, and it would make the gun a do-everything rifle within 1000 yards I'd imagine. But if I can't get that, then a bigger caliber on a modified .223 case like .350 is my best hope for getting something keltec doesn't want me to have that would at least make a better hunting cartridge than .223 itself 😅

They advertised the RDB-C in some places as the RDB Hunter, and I know in some states that require a straight-wall cartridge for hunting it would make perfect sense to release an RDB Hunter version in .350 that could literally be a 50-state hunting compliant rifle, and wouldn't even need a new bolt face, they just have to give us the barrels...

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Then you better buy a Desert tech, Kel tec can hardly keep up with the ones they have. Short sighted.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Then you better buy a Desert tech, Kel tec can hardly keep up with the ones they have. Short sighted.
Desert tech doesn't currently come in 350 legend or 6.5 Grendel (Yes Ive seen Coldbores articles but those are custom Jobs from Es tactical not on their website..). There is a guy on the facebook RDB page that has an RDB in 350 legend but I haven't seen or hear from him if it actually cycles yet.
I also have an MDR but...the Keltec hurt my wallet less and have better triggers from the factory. Recently tested 9 different ammos (5 Factory Match and 1 150gr) in 308 vs my RFB..Im actually surprised that the RFB did so well against my more expensive rifle while still not having a free floated handguard or multi lug bolt.

I think if a 3rd party wanted to do "Upper swaps" the rdb could be as quick to change as an AR (2 pins,maybe a diff bolt and boom).. Keltec isnt a big company and George Kelgren like to keep his finances in the Black..Aftermarket will have to pick this up (Generally how George wants to do things..Just make the rifles the sell best).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I really wish someone would make a Grendel bullpup. I have a RDB, RFB, and a MDR. I love me some bullpups. The Keltecs came with great triggers but my MDR also did. It was 4.25 out of the box and I recently replaced it with a Jard Trigger. It’s easily the best bullpup trigger now with zero creep, barely any reset and a 2.5 pound trigger. I think the only bullpup trigger that’s terrible out of the box is the Tavor.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I really wish someone would make a Grendel bullpup. I have a RDB, RFB, and a MDR. I love me some bullpups. The Keltecs came with great triggers but my MDR also did. It was 4.25 out of the box and I recently replaced it with a Jard Trigger. It’s easily the best bullpup trigger now with zero creep, barely any reset and a 2.5 pound trigger. I think the only bullpup trigger that’s terrible out of the box is the Tavor.
Im just happy Desert tech went 6.5 Creemore..Literally the only bullpup available in that caliber..I might get that barrel later when ammo aint so hard to get nor so expensive.
I wish my MDRX had a 4.25lb trigger..Its heavier than that..Both my RDB and RFB triggers feel much lighter..They also dont use the more common Trigger bar to trigger pack system like the MDR and Tavor use..Which could explain a thing or 2

·
Registered
87 Posts
Throw the Jard in it you won’t regret it. Also if I were you I’d buy the creedmoor barrel now. It’s a 2-4 month back order and by the time you get it they will most likely come down. I’ve been picking up good Hornady Creedmoor hunting ammo for $1 a round locally.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Throw the Jard in it you won’t regret it. Also if I were you I’d buy the creedmoor barrel now. It’s a 2-4 month back order and by the time you get it they will most likely come down. I’ve been picking up good Hornady Creedmoor hunting ammo for $1 a round locally.
Idk..The rifle already cost me a pretty penny..
I wish I could find 6.5 locally for 1$ a round..

·
Registered
87 Posts
It would be nice to get something in Grendel though. I have thousands of Grendel rounds waiting to be shot. Way more than 5.56. It’s crazy that it’s cheaper than 5.56 right now, double the bullet weight and hits the steel so much harder.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Desert tech doesn't currently come in 350 legend or 6.5 Grendel (Yes Ive seen Coldbores articles but those are custom Jobs from Es tactical not on their website..). There is a guy on the facebook RDB page that has an RDB in 350 legend but I haven't seen or hear from him if it actually cycles yet.
I also have an MDR but...the Keltec hurt my wallet less and have better triggers from the factory. Recently tested 9 different ammos (5 Factory Match and 1 150gr) in 308 vs my RFB..Im actually surprised that the RFB did so well against my more expensive rifle while still not having a free floated handguard or multi lug bolt.

I think if a 3rd party wanted to do "Upper swaps" the rdb could be as quick to change as an AR (2 pins,maybe a diff bolt and boom).. Keltec isnt a big company and George Kelgren like to keep his finances in the Black..Aftermarket will have to pick this up (Generally how George wants to do things..Just make the rifles the sell best).
I beleive they offer the 6.5 Grendel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'd like to see these calibers in a Kel-tec rifle
6.5 Grendel
7.62x39
.22lr (even if its a conversion of sorts like the CMMG conversion kit)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well...They made (1)..Dunno why it didnt go into production.
i understand the need to keep tooling costs lower so the rifle can be more affordable in the end, but having more than one caliber available for the RDB would be a marketing plus in a world where caliber changes are almost a must. Like with the MDRX, any AR-15 (bolt and barrel), Tavor does it now as well. Would be nice is all.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i understand the need to keep tooling costs lower so the rifle can be more affordable in the end, but having more than one caliber available for the RDB would be a marketing plus in a world where caliber changes are almost a must. Like with the MDRX, any AR-15 (bolt and barrel), Tavor does it now as well. Would be nice is all.
I think Keltec is more interested in getting guns out vs extras for the same gun. They leave that stuff up to aftermarket..So..I guess if there was a big enough call..someone would make the extra calibers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish they'd open the floodgates here in MA even for a couple days, I'd really like some standard cap pmags. Have to use old, beat up, gi mags.

A 7.62x39 RDB would be fun, it's actually one of my favorite rounds but i'm stuck using it in my SKS, which isn't bad by any means but i'd like it in something more modern.
Try the Gilboa M43 AR style that uses AK mags. Mine is very accurate as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"I think Keltec is more interested in getting guns out"
And this is most of KelTecs problem.
They push guns out with Awful QC. Then people either love them enough to deal with it, or hate the company. They have to loose a load on people sending guns back for repair.. Both in repair cost and in loss of loyalty. Both of mine (Sub2k and RDB) have been back, it's annoying really..
And thanks to ammo being what it is now, I haven't shot my RDB since it's come back in. Just changed the barrel device and sat on it.

And I'd still kill for a 6.5G kit.

·
Registered
502 Posts
And this is most of KelTecs problem.
They push guns out with Awful QC. Then people either love them enough to deal with it, or hate the company. They have to loose a load on people sending guns back for repair.. Both in repair cost and in loss of loyalty. Both of mine (Sub2k and RDB) have been back, it's annoying really..
And thanks to ammo being what it is now, I haven't shot my RDB since it's come back in. Just changed the barrel device and sat on it.

And I'd still kill for a 6.5G kit.
What do you think the average number of returning Rdbs to Kt for qc issues is? There's like 20k of them.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts