Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
There is an article about the Hellion in the latest Firearms News. I don't know when it will hit the newsstands. It stated that everyone who handled it mentioned about the long LOP. I don't remember any other glaring negatives. I got the impression that they liked it.

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
659 Posts
There is an article about the Hellion in the latest Firearms News. I don't know when it will hit the newsstands. It stated that everyone who handled it mentioned about the long LOP. I don't remember any other glaring negatives. I got the impression that they liked it.
Most don't like the selector location in addition to the lop..Thats about it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have them all. They’re in this order for me…
1. AR
2. Hellion
3. AK
4. RDB

RDB is still worthy of being in the discussion so that’s really saying something at its price point.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hunting or Mad Max/ZDay, AR.

Out the door to a gun fight. The mobility of the "optimal use of cover" RDB.

Hope to review the Hellion soon. I got to handle one at LGS. Good quality build. But definitely heavier than RDB...heavier to carry. Heavier to move out from behind cover. Heavier to stop momentum on target. Heavier to move back behind cover. Maybe choose Hellion for Mad Max/Zday, but it would have to be HK91 rugged to prevail over the AR parts anywhere advantage.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FWIW, I finally took a measuring tape to the Hellion. With the stock fully collapsed, LOP is exactly 16". Not 16.5" as previously mentioned. That said, yeah, it's long and won't be for everyone. Interestingly enough though, the Tavor 7 also has a 16" LOP. Not sure why anyone hasn't complained about that...

·
Registered
659 Posts
While it doesn't offer the level of ambidexterity of the RDB, the Senex Arms bullup will use mostly AR-15 parts, including barrels, bolts, and gas blocks. So you can configure it with any micro action caliber you want as long as the mag fits in the magwell. https://www.senexarms.com
While its a cool Idea..Until they have these for sale (and a working live fire prototype) its just an idea.

·
Registered
381 Posts
While its a cool Idea..Until they have these for sale (and a working live fire prototype) its just an idea.
I'm intrigued. If it's fully free floated and allows you to use pretty much any AR-15 barrel, the potential would be unparalleled. Also, from the compatible parts list, it seems like it's DI. Hopefully it'll have an adjustable gas system for suppressed use.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm intrigued. If it's fully free floated and allows you to use pretty much any AR-15 barrel, the potential would be unparalleled. Also, from the compatible parts list, it seems like it's DI. Hopefully it'll have an adjustable gas system for suppressed use.
I'm sure everyone is interested..(who wouldn't be)..
Just be sure to temper them expectations with the knowledge that so far..This is only a sales pitch with a 3d printed mock up
(Shades of Desert Tech Circa Shot show 2014)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm sure everyone is interested..(who wouldn't be)..
Just be sure to temper them expectations with the knowledge that so far..This is only a sales pitch with a 3d printed mock up
(Shades of Desert Tech Circa Shot show 2014)
Exactly. I like the idea but he has lots of hurdles to jump.

I tried to ask some questions in the FAQ section and couldn't. It wouldn't allow me to send them. Things like weight, and trigger feel ( most bullpup triggers suck). My RDB has a decent trigger, the DT MDR trigger felt like a GI trigger which is to say it had to be replaced. I think it cost me $200 for the part. If the aftermarket could make a part to fix the MDR trigger and make the trigger better why couldn't DT make the part and install it during assembly? If they could make a lousy part why couldn't they make it right? If I recall all it was was a trigger bar.

One thing I did notice on the prototype was on the side as it was sitting in the display arms. It looked like there was a slot with part of the action behind it and open to crud. But of course I have no idea what I was actually seeing and couldn't ask. But if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing he has more design work to do IMO. I'm not interested in an action that is always open for crud to get in. I'm reminded of WW1 French designs built like that and that were the pits.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was able to submit a request for more info. I asked about whether it will use a left hand BCG, since there's what appears to be an ejection port on the left side. That would be awesome if that's the case. Will report back if I get a reply.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was able to submit a request for more info. I asked about whether it will use a left hand BCG, since there's what appears to be an ejection port on the left side. That would be awesome if that's the case. Will report back if I get a reply.
The owner emailed me back (that was damn fast) and confirmed that in order to eject from the left side, a left handed BCG is needed. He did mention that they are looking into a way to do both right and left ejection with a single BCG, but it's not high on the priority list. I'm just glad left side eject is an option at all. I'd have no problems buying a left handed BCG to drop in for me and keep a regular BCG on hand for my wife.

Looking forward to following their progress. Hope they can bring the rifle to market. And it works. And it's reasonably priced.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The owner emailed me back (that was damn fast) and confirmed that in order to eject from the left side, a left handed BCG is needed. He did mention that they are looking into a way to do both right and left ejection with a single BCG, but it's not high on the priority list. I'm just glad left side eject is an option at all. I'd have no problems buying a left handed BCG to drop in for me and keep a regular BCG on hand for my wife.

Looking forward to following their progress. Hope they can bring the rifle to market. And it works. And it's reasonably priced.
All they'd have to do is pretty much clone the carrier and cam pin from a Tavor 7 or VHS-2 (same principle in terms of operation between both) in order to do a tool-less conversion from RH to LH ejection. Having to buy a new bolt is just so 90s AUG.

·
Registered
334 Posts
All they'd have to do is pretty much clone the carrier and cam pin from a Tavor 7 or VHS-2 (same principle in terms of operation between both) in order to do a tool-less conversion from RH to LH ejection. Having to buy a new bolt is just so 90s AUG.
Maybe, but then it's a specialized BCG. And it's still a manual process to switch sides. AR BCGs aren't that expensive. Less R&D keeps costs down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Testing Hellion right now. Evaluating from the Ambidextral Gunfighter perspective. Continually updating my reviewer notes which are also open to public comment and input...also a assets vs liabilities of Hellion vs RDB vs MDR vs AR.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts