Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hellion length of pull is 16.5" minimum. Way too long for most people.
Sight design is clever but has design flaws that cause vertical and horizontal errors in aiming.
Yes, it is long. It becomes tricky when shouldering the rifle while wearing body armor. I have two carriers, one is a Mayflower APC and the other an Agilite K19. It's terrible with the K19 because of the QD shoulder strap buckles.

FWIW, the average height for males in Croatia is 5' 11". That in my opinion, explains the LOP.

As for aiming issues, haven't experienced that under general shooting of 50 yards and further with an EOTech. The height over bore though does require a bit more Kentucky elevation when shooting man sized targets within 20 yards.

Personally, my biggest gripe after running drills with the rifle all day last Sunday is the mag well isn't flared enough. The bolt release became second nature after the 4th mag, but the lack of any flaring of the mag well opening was what slowed me down the most. I hope the after market addresses that.

Only other thing that irks me is the angle of the safety.

Oh, one last thing to mention is that it appears the barrel is of the tool-less, quick-change type. It's not detailed in the manual, but based on the exploded diagrams and the fact that there's an obvious button right behind the pistol grip, leads me to think that it comes out fairly easily. It seems one captive push pin needs to be removed in order to manipulate the button.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lol. Perhaps. The RFB and RDB LOP are quite short. I think around 14" if memory serves. I find those perfect, even with body armor on and I'm 5'9".

The Hellion can become difficult to shoulder depending on carrier worn. Without a carrier, most people including my daughter who's 5'6" can shoulder and shoot it just fine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
BTW, here's a comparison shot with my M4. The stock on that is fully collapsed as I run that rifle with body armor exclusively.. you can see how far forward the trigger is on the Hellion.

The other photo below has it next to the Tavor 7, RDB, and AUG.. sadly, I sold my RFB to some guy 2 years ago. Anyway, you can clearly see that it's got the longest LOP of my bullpups.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
True... but too much compromise.
Why does one need to compromise with an AR? Build it exactly the way you want and don't look back. Just because it's versatile doesn't mean there needs to be compromise. What it does mean is that it can be had precisely the way the user wants it. Not having versatility absolutely means having to compromise.

·
Registered
381 Posts
TAVOR X95 with the 16.5" barrel is also a very good candidate. At $1750 it isn't cheap........
Yes, I like the X95. The only thing preventing it from being an excellent platform is its lack of an adjustable gas system. My friend has an X95 that he shoots regularly with a SiCo can, and it gets quite gassy.

I'm hoping that if IWI develops a gen 2 X95, that they employ the adjustable gas system featured in the big brother Tavor 7.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Having never run a hellion, but having run and owned several quality bullpups - Tavor/FN2000/Steyr - having owned and run in combat conditions in every major weather/climate in the US/Central America - AK variants and AR variants -

My choice remains at this time the venerable, proven AR in a reliable caliber.

Why?

1. Reliability, this is primary always. Will run steel or brass -
2. Accurate with even crappy ammo - important
3. Lightweight when not run with every attachment known to man simply because some youtube/instaho player said so.
4. As designed can be dismantled for most fixes by starting with a single boolet
5. Having run tens of thousands of rounds through most of the above listed types or firearms...reliability/longevity is still weighted towards AK variants and ARs.
6. Parts availability for the inevitable break down- ease of fix or replacement.

These are fun thought experiments but, in the end most of them are completed to reassure us of our purchase of whichever new/fun gun we have. I am certain many will agree with the OP, just as I am certain many will not.

Suggestion? Do you! But remember what's really important.

1. Reliability.
2. Long term durability.
3. Accuracy benched
4. Component follow through
5. Support availability
6. Monetary outlay- do you have enough left over for actual training and boolet purchase

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, I like the X95. The only thing preventing it from being an excellent platform is its lack of an adjustable gas system. My friend has an X95 that he shoots regularly with a SiCo can, and it gets quite gassy.

I'm hoping that if IWI develops a gen 2 X95, that they employ the adjustable gas system featured in the big brother Tavor 7.
OSS suppressor

I agree that the X95 should have an adjustable gas system like the Tavor 7 or MDRX. I'm really surprised there isn't an aftermarket solution to that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
OSS suppressor

I agree that the X95 should have an adjustable gas system like the Tavor 7 or MDRX. I'm really surprised there isn't an aftermarket solution to that.
Yep, have one of those in NFA jail going on about 5 months now. I bought that to run on my AUG and a few other rifles without an adjustable gas mechanism.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sounds like I won't even be tempted by the Hellion then due to the LOP.

AR vs bullpups...

FWIW, I have a MDR and was waiting on a 300BLK barrel. Bought and paid for for 5 years. I took a refund instead and built a AR handgun using everything to my specs. It's no lightweight, but it wears a can 24/7 (Amtac CQB). It's smaller than the MDR, lighter, build quality is at least as good or better. Too, my AR folds making it even smaller should I ever need that and can be unfolded in a heartbeat. Yeah, I know the MDR can also be made smaller, but not conveniently. Both compared to the RDB? The RDB is built to be a range toy IMO. But I like the weight of the RDB.

Later I was told by someone online (maybe on KTOG) that MDRs in any of the non-standard chamberings don't work very well. Sooooo happy I went the route I did. My AR build works fine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like I won't even be tempted by the Hellion then due to the LOP.
Honestly, the Hellion LOP isn't terrible. I'm 5'9" and have no issues with it as long as the stock is fully collapsed (or even up to a 1-2 clicks out), and I'm not wearing body armor.

It really becomes an issue with a carrier though; some are better than others in that respect. The Hellion isn't a good gun when wearing an Agilite K19 v2 due to the shoulder strap QD buckles. OTOH, it's manageable when I'm using my work issued Mayflower. Ymmv, so it's best to try one with whatever carrier you're using before spending the money.

I like bullpups and I've replaced my M4 SBR with the Hellion as a home defense rifle. If I need to go out and actually fight, I'm still leaning towards the AR platform as my weapon of choice.

You can see what I mean about the K19 shoulder QD buckles. It's the carrier on the right.
Plastic Glass Electric blue Pattern Event

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. But I'm far from being a spring chicken.

I'm really sensitive to LOP and my rifles are far too short there for many people. I like 'em short. Shorter than the measure of putting the butt in the elbow and the trigger finger should be in the right place on the trigger. Decades ago that was what I wanted but not today. I don't know why. Competition and a short PCC? Maybe? But in bolt and single shots I can tolerate the standard LOP measure ,just not in a firearm where I excel.

I'm 5'8" with stubby fingers. Maybe that's why? IDK. Maybe to help get around barricades? IDK. I'll still pass on it. The only way for me to try it is to buy one and it's just not worth it to me. I'll pass. I doubt it'll give me something I already don't have. I've been at this a very long time and my search for the same tech has pretty much ended.

My crawling through the puckerbrush days are over. This tiger still has teeth but age has blunted them in some ways. But I compete to stay sharp as far as shooting.

I'm not pissing on your Hellion. It works for you, but I doubt that I need one at the expense of buying one to try it, that's all I meant. I'm really done buying firearms unless some breakthrough technology comes forward (maybe a rail gun?). Now I'm into getting the most out of what I have in todays cartridge tech through load development.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Fair points. Don't worry about not agreeing with me. I don't have an emotional stake in it. Guns are tools, and some tools work better or worse for others. No big deal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those are some pretty high speed looking rigs you have got there.

Back in the day I have used M16A2 with IBV and IOTV, it was awkward maneuvering in and out vehicles but shooting isn't bad (I'm 6'1" and mostly shooting prone). Good to keep warm during those freezing winters

·
Registered
381 Posts
Those are some pretty high speed looking rigs you have got there.

Back in the day I have used M16A2 with IBV and IOTV, it was awkward maneuvering in and out vehicles but shooting isn't bad (I'm 6'1" and mostly shooting prone). Good to keep warm during those freezing winters
Thanks. The K19 is usually left in the trunk of my car. I run steel plates in those with a backer as well as a spall sleeve. It's fairly heavy. The Mayflower OTOH has these crazy light Hesco level 3 plates in them. Each plate weighs less than 3 pounds and is rated to stop 7.62 NATO/308. For 223, it'll stop SS109 or M193, but not M855 or M855A1.

I train almost every week, including in the winter. I still have to wear thermals underneath (especially when it's 15 degrees outside), but yeah, those carriers do a decent job of retaining body heat for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it was a survival shtf events I would pick the ar just because of mag and round availability also the ar platform is so popular that parts and availability is everywhere, other than that pick whatever you want
and add another later on

21 - 40 of 62 Posts