Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys or Gals!
I’m considering upgrading my RDB 17 to a M-Lok Rail. I need a little advice before I send my hard earned duckets downrange. Of the two variations I’ve been able to find, which is the better choice of the two? The Lucky Irishman Rhino Rail or the M-Lok Forend offering by Keltec. From pics, I see subtle differences in design and they list at comparable price points with a negligible $5 difference. What say you?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have no experience with them so won't comment on one vs the other. But if you live in a cold climate and intend to use them in the cold they're aluminum. They will suck the heat right out of your hands even if they're gloved. Maybe they can be insulated somehow to help mitigate that. But its the reason I stay with low conduction plastic or wood.

People may be getting tired of reading that from me, but it's big deal with me and the first thing I think of with aluminum. I dodge it like the plague.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered OEM M-lok handguard from Kel-Tec with free shipping offer on the Veteran's Day. The installation is super easy ( take less than 1 minute). The drawback is that the handguard still have slight movement like the plastic one.

I don't own Lucky Irishman Rhino Rail. Others reported that it will require a bit of time and patient to install, but has tight fitment once installed.

Other subtle difference - OEM one has support flats at the top of the unit where charging handle sit right above it. Lucky Irishman design don't have that. Probably not an issue as it is highly unlikely that one will grip close to the charging handle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered OEM M-lok handguard from Kel-Tec with free shipping offer on the Veteran's Day. The installation is super easy ( take less than 1 minute). The drawback is that the handguard still have slight movement like the plastic one.

I don't own Lucky Irishman Rhino Rail. Others reported that it will require a bit of time and patient to install, but has tight fitment once installed.

Other subtle difference - OEM one has support flats at the top of the unit where charging handle sit right above it. Lucky Irishman design don't have that. Probably not an issue as it is highly unlikely that one will grip close to the charging handle.

Thanks a lot for that. Good information. That slight movement with the plastic seems more of an annoyance than anything. But, I wondered if or which one might get rid of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The latest version of the LI Rhino rail is fairly easy to install. Once the screws are all tightened, there is no play at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks. Yours and another response helped solidify my choice. The lack of that slight shakiness of the plastic forend is an annoyance. Apparently as described, although the LI Rhino rail requires more screws which probably results in the solid mounting, removing it as part of normal field-stripping would be a bit more involved. That shouldn’t be much of an issue since I can’t foresee a great need to remove the forend anyway for normal cleaning or stripping. Rhino Rail it is!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The lucky Irishman has a much more solid feel too it. No movement at all. But the keltec keeps the easy mounting and dismounting option.

Also the lucky Irishman comes in a 20 in variant which really improves the length of pull

1 - 8 of 8 Posts