Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Which RDB problems have you had, or are just living with?

• Stubborn break down pins

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • Bent hammer

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Jamming hammer

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Piston bushing separation

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Ejector pins walking out

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Bent OP rod

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Dirty brass

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • US GI metal mags won't lock in

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Breaking firing pins

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Rail screws walking out

Votes: 27 42.9%
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
No sweat, Your comment is fine. It's just where it goes from there when someone had another opinion that turns into another subject, and so on.
This IS the place to learn about the RDB and, unfortunately, too much negative as well. But keep in proper perspective, that the majority of RDB should be problem free. There is this thing about KT, and the KS7 is the latest, that the initial release of a new platform is often failure prone.
If anything, I hope KT is watching these forums to get feedback from the field.
There aren't many rifles out there with so wide a gas range. A lot of ppl have early failures because they don't understand the gas. where else can they go for help? FB, sure.

· Registered
2 Posts
Rifle problem.
This looks really bad and and first time Ive heard of cases being so mangled they can't eject.
I definitely recommend sending it back to KT. Don't feel bad, Unless you are one of the lucky ones, I generally suggest everyone send their new RDB, and older RDBs, back for fixing the problems.
Just watch, someone will reply to delegitimize you and say something like, "I've shot thousands of rounds without and hickup". Well, happy for you.
Send your RDB back so it will get the attention you deserve for giving KT a chance.

Having said all that, now I'll say this:
Your problem could be user error.
Most problems with RDBs are from being undergassed. I know that if I FTE, and do the standard tap& rack, I will get stuck and mangled cases. You should do the one round at a time gas adjustment drill until you get (1) positive ejection and (2) slightly dented case necks (it's in the manual)
Just got the rifle back today with a message saying they cranked down the gas and polished the feed ramp. I put a few rounds in a magazine and cycled through them with the charging handle to see if any cartridges ejected warped. All came out just fine with only the normal dents. I’ll be taking it to the range tomorrow and I’m feeling optimistic.

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Something as simple as that? I have not heard of anyone having brass crunching by being over gassed.
You can be the first. Please keep us posted. I hope you run!

· Registered
22 Posts
Something as simple as that? I have not heard of anyone having brass crunching by being over gassed.
You can be the first. Please keep us posted. I hope you run!
Sorry, I’m so late. I was just going through some old posts and saw this.
KT has had my RDB back twice and they have done a great job of making it work the way it was intended to. One of my RDB’s issues was bending bullets and crunching brass. After an advanced gas block setting tutorial, I was advised that over gassing would cause it to do what it was doing.

I openly admit I fall into the category you mentioned with folks not knowing or understanding how the multi setting block works. I have a PWS ar in .308, which has an adjustable gas block but it’s not nearly as complicated.

thank you for all of your input and advice.
I am pleased to say that 450 rounds after getting my RDB back it is going strong.

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Sweet. Glad to see you're running. Remember to periodically check your spent brass to see the case necks as tell-tales of when you're getting under gassed as carbon fouls the valve.
It seems to be sensitive for a lot of folks when you hear, " it ran fine, now it jams". The gas setting isn't static, its will eventually need to be adjusted again. I have marked my dial with a return point for a clean valve.
However, I am surprised that you are crunching at full+, or not even full+. Most RDB are able to run at full+ without damaging bullets. With a can is another matter; you can be over gassed easily.

· Registered
33 Posts
Did I forget anything?
I have heard enough! I really want to love this platform, maybe I will if mine continues to run.
However, I can't ignore the plethora of problems others have had.
These are weapons and we're not messing around. KT, you deserve this.
I actually don't have enough poll options available to post all the problems. Many are user error. I should add sear bar separation but I don't think its common enough to replace one of the other ten.

In fairness, many of these issues have been addressed and don't occur in later guns, but failures continue to leave the factory into the hands of trusting, eager hopeful shooters.

Issues I don't consider to be model defects are any involving the use of accessories that are outside of the OEMs design parameters; such as a failure to fire from a 200 round magazine or issues with steel case ammo. These are user created problems.

Magizine wont latch unless cocked

· Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
After about 1500 rounds I got the broken firing pin. Cleanest break I've seen. Rifle functioned fine and I only discovered it while cleaning it.
My SU-22 did that. The firing pin broke but the hammer would strike the back of the back piece of the firing pin, knocking it into the front piece of the firing pin, and that would ignite the primer. My SU-22 was one of the first hundred made and I don't think they had the heat treat process working properly. The little 22 uses the same hammer and hammer spring as the SU-16 so that little lightweight firing pin took a pounding. It's a simple and cheap fix. I try to have spare firing pins and extractors for all my guns.

· Registered
3 Posts
Mine was functioning perfectly until about 200rds.
Then it started locking the bolt back on magazines that still contained rounds.
I dialed the gas in as per instructions and now my rifle has 600rds through it and shoots amazingly soft with no reliability issues.
Very mild recoil. Even less than my M4 which is saying a lot in a piston gun.
I think it just loosened up over the first 200rd break in period and needed a bit of gas dialed back once it was broken in.

· Registered
107 Posts
My problems are that awful POI shift with the weird rail mounting. Also had light primer strikes on all kinds of ammo so it went back for that.
I haven't really shot my RDB a lot because of the problems and my lack of time... it's gonna get the love it needs next time I go out and we'll see how it acts. Pretty sure mine is an earlier model.

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
y'all look under the bolt group, you can see where the hammer falls on the firing pin. see if the hammer is actually touching the firing pin...

141 - 158 of 158 Posts