Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Which RDB problems have you had, or are just living with?

• Stubborn break down pins

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • Bent hammer

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Jamming hammer

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Piston bushing separation

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Ejector pins walking out

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Bent OP rod

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Dirty brass

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • US GI metal mags won't lock in

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Breaking firing pins

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Rail screws walking out

Votes: 27 42.9%
121 - 140 of 158 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
I searched everywhere here and cannot find a single report or picture of a broken ejector.
Ejector pivot pin backing out on the early ones, yes.
Broken firing pin, yes.

If the problem doesn't exist, it's unlikely Kel-Tec knows about it or fixed it:rolleyes:.
(we are still looking into Russian meddling though View attachment 42614 )

Speaking of, instead of worrying about what might break on an RDB, spend a couple hundred on a drum attachment for your AK:
View attachment 42612
You won't need your AR or an RDB:D.
But but but, what if my MAK90 or AR breaks? Just kidding

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Yea, like Blake says, ejector issues have been early and few. Seldom an issue in recent years. When you read about a problem see how old the rifle, or report is.
The RDB is an interesting rifle, not a high quality rifle. You will not find high quality anywhere on the rifle. So one can be yours for $700. If you must be a quality snob, there's H&K and others that are durable and reliable. Then there's the AK. Don't blow them off, they're light sturdy arms and the RDB isn't any smoother than an AK. If you're ever in a firefight you will have more to think about than troubleshooting your RDB jam.
And RDB is plastic. Know what happens to plastic?

· Registered
25 Posts
Yea, like Blake says, ejector issues have been early and few. Seldom an issue in recent years. When you read about a problem see how old the rifle, or report is.
The RDB is an interesting rifle, not a high quality rifle. You will not find high quality anywhere on the rifle. So one can be yours for $700. If you must be a quality snob, there's H&K and others that are durable and reliable. Then there's the AK. Don't blow them off, they're light sturdy arms and the RDB isn't any smoother than an AK. If you're ever in a firefight you will have more to think about than troubleshooting your RDB jam.
And RDB is plastic. Know what happens to plastic?
My goal is finding the best gas piston ambidextrous platform in 5.56 I can without risking a divorce. I know there are choices in the $1400> range but I don’t want one THAT bad if you know what I mean. I’d looked at a used Baretta ARX100 recently for $800+ but was slow and missed my chance to get it because I was still contemplating the RDB. I fully expect to give up something because I’m not willing to pay 2 grand for it. Reliability isn’t One thing I’m willing to give up.

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
So, Gregory, are you a lefty?
In this case, I suggest a basic lefty AR mid length with an Adams Arms multi setting piston kit. You can build the AR up to your spec in time.
Just make sure the barrel you get, or buy separately as part of a build kit, has the correct gas block diameter for the AA kit, which is milspec stsndatd .75.
There is a gun shop I go to that has a indoor range with rental guns. The automatic AR is an Adams piston kit. It sees thousands of rounds without fail.
PM me I'll get you on touch with them.
I got a shopping list for ya. A $700 lefty piston AR is doable.

· Registered
2,824 Posts
Wait.... you mean that there are so few problems with the new RDBs that we’re sitting here rattling on about AKs and ARs? Do we have a facepalm smiley?
Yeah, pretty much. Remember, the thread was started in 2017.
Most stories lately start out with: "There was this one time, at band-camp..."
Here's your smiley:
Black Yellow Green Emoticon Head

· Registered
288 Posts
So, Gregory, are you a lefty?
In this case, I suggest a basic lefty AR mid length with an Adams Arms multi setting piston kit. You can build the AR up to your spec in time.
Just make sure the barrel you get, or buy separately as part of a build kit, has the correct gas block diameter for the AA kit, which is milspec stsndatd .75.
There is a gun shop I go to that has a indoor range with rental guns. The automatic AR is an Adams piston kit. It sees thousands of rounds without fail.
PM me I'll get you on touch with them.
I got a shopping list for ya. A $700 lefty piston AR is doable.
I'm lefty but I would never bother with a lefty AR as the ejection port is a non issue on the AR platform as long as the upper has a case deflector. It's the controls that are wonky for us. You can get ambi controls to make it more lefty comfortable and you don't need a special lefty BCG.

Personally I use Radian Raptor charging handle, the new Strike Industries Ambi Mag realease. I haven't done an ambi bolt catch yet but I'd suggest staying away from BAD levers as putting controls that aren't the trigger in the trigger guard is a recipe to a ND. I will eventually go with a PDQ Ambi-Bolt Release but this does require some cutting of the lower to install.

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
OK, The LWRC ambi lower is the best around, IMHO because the local SWAT use these.
When you see it in person its very impressive, very professional. Not a mixed bag of aftermarket add-ons.

This is everything you could want from a piston AR one package:
https://www.lwrci.com/p-329-ic-a5.aspx
And if you don't need a piston AR:
https://www.lwrci.com/p-5071-ic-di-m-lok-556.aspx
Radian has a nice ambi lower:
https://radianweapons.com/lower-receiver

Personally, I would change to a Colt A2 flash hider and HK or BCM mod2 grip.
If you can convince the head bean counter that THIS is THE zombie, (and very large spider) killer the family soldier needs and He swears he will not spend another penny on guns ever again because THIS gun has it all, you might get a conditional approval.

· Registered
37 Posts
I checked the firing pin and hammer, all locks good. It may be an ammo thing. I have been using only Federal .223 55 grain 100 round pack from Wal-Mar. 2 days ago I wen the range with several brands of ammo to try. Fired 200 rounds consisting of Federal M193, Privi Partisan M855 and M193, IMI M193 and some Magtech M193. No light primer hits with any of the 5.56 spec ammo. Tried another 20 rounds of the .223 and had 2 light hits out of the 20. I use the .223 Federal in my AR’s without a problem. I also did a headspace check. The bolt will close on a .223 gauge but not on the .556 gauge. Any ideas what the problem could be.

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Ive been thinking about your issue since Monday.
Its a crazy suggestion, but since you're still looking for help,
Are both hammer springs in place?
Otherwise, send it to KT or get some new firing pins to try.

· Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had multiple cartridges get warped as they go in the barrel from both the factory pmag that came with the rifle and a store bought pmag. They’re usually so bad that the rifle can’t eject them. Is this a magazine problem or something with the rifle itself?

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
I’ve had multiple cartridges get warped as they go in the barrel from both the factory pmag that came with the rifle and a store bought pmag. They’re usually so bad that the rifle can’t eject them. Is this a magazine problem or something with the rifle itself?
Rifle problem.
This looks really bad and and first time Ive heard of cases being so mangled they can't eject.
I definitely recommend sending it back to KT. Don't feel bad, Unless you are one of the lucky ones, I generally suggest everyone send their new RDB, and older RDBs, back for fixing the problems.
Just watch, someone will reply to delegitimize you and say something like, "I've shot thousands of rounds without and hickup". Well, happy for you.
Send your RDB back so it will get the attention you deserve for giving KT a chance.

Having said all that, now I'll say this:
Your problem could be user error.
Most problems with RDBs are from being undergassed. I know that if I FTE, and do the standard tap& rack, I will get stuck and mangled cases. You should do the one round at a time gas adjustment drill until you get (1) positive ejection and (2) slightly dented case necks (it's in the manual)

· Registered
2 Posts
I'd reach around the AR for the AK.
It has proven itself to be the most reliable with lack of maintenance, horrible conditions, abuse and terrible ammo.
Always goes bang.
The RDB is the same firepower of an AR in a smaller package.
Sure it has more :quote:problems:quote: than an AR.
Let's look at the top problems and whether they affect dependability in a firefight:
"Stubborn break down pins" means disassembly may be difficult if the pins are hard to get out.
Will it affect reliability in a firefight? No.

"US GI metal mags won't lock in" means the RDB doesn't like some US GI metal mags.
Almost all other mags work fine in it.
If you are using other mags will it affect reliability in a firefight? No.

"Rail screws walking out", if you know that you need to remove the rail screws and put loctite on them when you get the gun, will it affect reliability in a firefight? No.

Every RDB that has a problem will eventually end up here at KTOG. You will never hear a single word from the thousands that run like a song.
It's easy to look here and come away with the idea that the RDB has all kinds of problems.
:no:
It really doesn't.

Is it as reliable as an AK? No.
But neither is an AR:rolleyes:.
A quality AR is very reliable. In fact, I have never had a malfunction in my AR over many thousands of rounds. A real milspec combloc AK might have a slight edge when it comes to reliabilty when tossed in the mud and dragged behind a tank, but honestly, I question that fact. In any case, most of the AKM's in civilian hands are not true "milspec" AK's.

121 - 140 of 158 Posts