Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Which RDB problems have you had, or are just living with?

• Stubborn break down pins

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • Bent hammer

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Jamming hammer

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Piston bushing separation

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Ejector pins walking out

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Bent OP rod

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Dirty brass

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • US GI metal mags won't lock in

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Breaking firing pins

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Rail screws walking out

Votes: 27 42.9%
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did I forget anything?
I have heard enough! I really want to love this platform, maybe I will if mine continues to run.
However, I can't ignore the plethora of problems others have had.
These are weapons and we're not messing around. KT, you deserve this.
I actually don't have enough poll options available to post all the problems. Many are user error. I should add sear bar separation but I don't think its common enough to replace one of the other ten.

In fairness, many of these issues have been addressed and don't occur in later guns, but failures continue to leave the factory into the hands of trusting, eager hopeful shooters.

Issues I don't consider to be model defects are any involving the use of accessories that are outside of the OEMs design parameters; such as a failure to fire from a 200 round magazine or issues with steel case ammo. These are user created problems.

· Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I wish there were more options in the poll, because I didn't find the one I wanted to check.

___ No problems to report - couldn't be happier

My runner up RDB complaint would be:

___ No 300 Blackout RDB

The RDB is a relatively new platform, and it's not another 1911 or another AR-15. There's a lot of new stuff in the RDB. There are bound to be some issues in the first year or two with a new platform. It's this way with all mechanical devices. You've probably heard an admonition against buying the first model year of a new car. As issues arise, Kel-Tec will address them. The RDB has a lifetime warranty so Kel-Tec will be fixing any problems, so they're in a great place to know about the problems and they're strongly motivated to fix the problems.

People show up on manufacturer specific firearms forums to post about problems they've had, and that's natural. The majority of us who aren't having problems aren't starting threads entitled, "RDB - Still Running Great". The forum therefore skews the results to exaggerate the percentage of RDB owners who are having problems. It's a well known phenomenon known as reporting bias (and you probably thought that was only the Fake News. :D).

It's good that KTOG members can discuss problems we're having. It helps us to understand these innovative firearms, lets us know what issues to watch for, and it might even add to Kel-Tec's understanding if some Kel-Tec representative pops over here to read the RDB forum, but please keep in mind that the overall return rate must be fairly low or Kel-Tec couldn't stay in business honoring the lifetime warranty.

It's frustrating when you're the one having the problems. It's easy to assume that most people are having similar problems. Knowing that many other people aren't having problems isn't much comfort. In fact, it can be very annoying and even infuriating.

Admittedly, I haven't yet run my RDB hard like I have many of my other Kel-Tecs. I have a few hundred rounds through it, so it's possible that I'll experience one or more of the problems listed in the poll if I start running and gunning with it. If there is a problem, I'll send my RDB to Kel-Tec for repair. If that happens, they'll probably do a full upgrade with all of the rolling improvements.

Until then, mark my RDB as "Winner, winner, chicken dinner."

I have 11 Kel-Tec firearms. PLR-16, SU-16, PLR-22, SU-22, PMR-30, CMR-30, KSG, RDB, Gen 1 9mm SUB-2000, Gen 1 40 SUB-2000 and Gen 2 9mm SUB-2000. I'm cuckoo for Kel-Tecs. Collectively, they have tens of thousands of rounds through them. I've replaced two firing pins. Otherwise, I shoot them and occasionally clean them. None have ever been returned to Kel-Tec, and I'm usually so impatient that I tend to buy Kel-Tec firearms soon after they're released when they are most likely to have teething problems. Maybe I've been lucky, but based on my experience I think most Kel-Tec owners have no problems and are very satisfied.

· Registered
2 Posts
I had an issue with a loose scope rail after the first 100 rounds, but a dab of loctite on each screw rectified the problem. The gun has been 100% since. I have not done formal accuracy testing yet, but i had no problems hitting a man sized target at 100yds freehand.

I know Kel-Tec has a reputation for using customers as beta testers, but I am completely satisfied at the moment.

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wish there were more options in the poll, because I didn't find the one I wanted to check.

___ No problems to report - couldn't be happier

My runner up RDB complaint would be:

___ No 300 Blackout RDB

The RDB is a relatively new platform, and it's not another 1911 or another AR-15. There's a lot of new stuff in the RDB. There are bound to be some issues in the first year or two with a new platform. It's this way with all mechanical devices. You've probably heard an admonition against buying the first model year of a new car. As issues arise, Kel-Tec will address them. The RDB has a lifetime warranty so Kel-Tec will be fixing any problems, so they're in a great place to know about the problems and they're strongly motivated to fix the problems.

People show up on manufacturer specific firearms forums to post about problems they've had, and that's natural. The majority of us who aren't having problems aren't starting threads entitled, "RDB - Still Running Great". The forum therefore skews the results to exaggerate the percentage of RDB owners who are having problems. It's a well known phenomenon known as reporting bias (and you probably thought that was only the Fake News. :D).

It's good that KTOG members can discuss problems we're having. It helps us to understand these innovative firearms, lets us know what issues to watch for, and it might even add to Kel-Tec's understanding if some Kel-Tec representative pops over here to read the RDB forum, but please keep in mind that the overall return rate must be fairly low or Kel-Tec couldn't stay in business honoring the lifetime warranty.

It's frustrating when you're the one having the problems. It's easy to assume that most people are having similar problems. Knowing that many other people aren't having problems isn't much comfort. In fact, it can be very annoying and even infuriating.

Admittedly, I haven't yet run my RDB hard like I have many of my other Kel-Tecs. I have a few hundred rounds through it, so it's possible that I'll experience one or more of the problems listed in the poll if I start running and gunning with it. If there is a problem, I'll send my RDB to Kel-Tec for repair. If that happens, they'll probably do a full upgrade with all of the rolling improvements.

I have 11 Kel-Tec firearms. PLR-16, SU-16, PLR-22, SU-22, PMR-30, CMR-30, KSG, RDB, Gen 1 9mm SUB-2000, Gen 1 40 SUB-2000 and Gen 2 9mm SUB-2000. I'm cuckoo for Kel-Tecs. Collectively, they have tens of thousands of rounds through them. I've replaced two firing pins. Otherwise, I shoot them and occasionally clean them. None have ever been returned to Kel-Tec, and I'm usually so impatient that I tend to buy Kel-Tec firearms soon after they're released when they are most likely to have teething problems. Maybe I've been lucky, but based on my experience I think most Kel-Tec owners have no problems and are very satisfied.
All good points and thank you for writing. The sole intention of this post is to create a collective of issues that have been reported by users, as accurately as I can, and create an awareness of these problems so that the owners can watch for them. People are trusting their lives to these weapons and there should be a level of awareness of these issues.
As for me at this time, although some of my issues have been worked out, my SU16C and AR15 still continue to be my primary PDWs. I had high hopes that my RDB would replace them. Although I think very highly of the RDB in concept, the level of trust is not there yet. But I continue to work with this rifle and its getting an ACOG this week. If I can run the next 200 rounds smoothly, RDB goes back into PDW rotation. If not, its going back to KT. I wasn't one of the lucky ones, i guess.

· Registered
27 Posts
I'm about 400 rounds in with no issues at all...no feed issues using multiple mags (Magpul, USGI steel, Lancer, Troy), and multiple ammo sources (Wolf steel, Remington, Dynamic Tech, IWI, Federal) in 55 grain 223 or 62 grain 5.56. Went with factory gas setting and have not adjusted it at all

· Registered
2,824 Posts
...I am completely satisfied at the moment.
I'm about 400 rounds in with no issues at all...no feed issues using multiple mags (Magpul, USGI steel, Lancer, Troy), and multiple ammo sources (Wolf steel, Remington, Dynamic Tech, IWI, Federal) in 55 grain 223 or 62 grain 5.56.
You guys are not helping the poll AT ALL!
The problem is the OPW's (one-post-wonders) who fly the coup once their problem is fixed.
Where are those guys when we really need them
Font Logo Graphics Art

· Registered
27 Posts
You guys are not helping the poll AT ALL!
The problem is the OPW's (one-post-wonders) who fly the coup once their problem is fixed.
Where are those guys when we really need them View attachment 34130 .
sorry for not being helpful but if something does go wrong I'll be happy to report it...figured it would be useful to know that some folks are not having issues...yet (hopefully never)

· Registered
4 Posts
I have had several of these issues that I documented. I also have had a problem with steel cased ammo causing double feeds. I documented these issues in a youtube series I did on the gun from purchase to return from factory. One thing that keeps coming up is that I shouldn't have adjusted the gas system to completely open. I did this to correct the double feeding problems because it wasn't stripping the cartridge when feeding the next round. Right or Wrong, it was a jammo matic until the extractor pin walked out and bent.

· Registered
117 Posts
Up until 800 Rds I had rail screws come loose, and about 4-6 failure to feed in 200 rnd range sessions. At 800 Rds the firing pin tip broke. Got a new one and am now a bit over 1k rnds. Failure to feed has gone away, and I locktited the rail which for now is holding. New issue on the last range session has been once I get the gun pretty hot from firing many magazines, on the last round the bolt gets jammed to the rear. The bolt release and charging handle are not effective. Have to butt stroke on the ground to free the bolt. If I let the weapon cool, it doesn't happen again until hot. Very strange. I don't mag dump, but fire fast consistent shots at steel for at least 4-5 mags straight. GI mags never worked, even with a replacement magazine catch. Only use Pmags

· Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Up until 800 Rds I had rail screws come loose, and about 4-6 failure to feed in 200 rnd range sessions. At 800 Rds the firing pin tip broke. Got a new one and am now a bit over 1k rnds. Failure to feed has gone away, and I locktited the rail which for now is holding. New issue on the last range session has been once I get the gun pretty hot from firing many magazines, on the last round the bolt gets jammed to the rear. The bolt release and charging handle are not effective. Have to butt stroke on the ground to free the bolt. If I let the weapon cool, it doesn't happen again until hot. Very strange. I don't mag dump, but fire fast consistent shots at steel for at least 4-5 mags straight. GI mags never worked, even with a replacement magazine catch. Only use Pmags
This is the 'Hammer jamming" issue I have on the list. I attribute the problem to the hammer being at the wrong place at the wrong time blocking the bolt. I have heard of one other owner having a bolt jam issue but while cold.
I wonder if a spacer can be put on the OP rod to prevent the length of travel where this happens?

· Registered
117 Posts
This is the 'Hammer jamming" issue I have on the list. I attribute the problem to the hammer being at the wrong place at the wrong time blocking the bolt. I have heard of one other owner having a bolt jam issue but while cold.
I wonder if a spacer can be put on the OP rod to prevent the length of travel where this happens?
Interesting. I read about that issue he had. As I cycled by hand everything seems fine. Perhaps I'll dial some gas out and see if that will cure it. My hammer doesn't have much side to side play and his pictures showed it very crooked. I'm three clicks out from full gas now and only run brass. Mostly 5.56

· Registered
96 Posts
My RDB is from the first production run, serial Z007x. I have had no issues at all with it, aside from dirty brass from using a suppressor. It's been flawless. I ran 2000+ rounds through it before it's first cleaning, and it took all of maybe 20 minutes to disassemble, clean and put back together. It's my favorite rifle, bar none.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts