Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching the Bullpup forms on the highley touted, greatly anticipated Desert Tech MDR and man those guys are frustrated. The pup is weighing more than advertised and delays are killing the ones on the preorder list. Some guys have backed out and walked away, others are thinking of doing the same while others are hanging in there tough. Myself, I can't waite until this pup comes out so we can finally see if it will live up to all the hype.

For a Keltec owner I know about frustration and I know some of you are drooling over the Survival model and I am wanting the Tactical model. If Keltec is shooting for the 3rd quarter of 2017 (allegedly) with a more realistic date of 2018 (allegedly) I like to see them do a preorder because if they do produce I bet these tokens will be hard to find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd love to know if there is anywhere to pre-order the survival model. Does anyone know about the status of their release? Did the RDB-C model ever get produced?

Resurrecting the thread to find out...

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I've been watching the Bullpup forms on the highley touted, greatly anticipated Desert Tech MDR and man those guys are frustrated. The pup is weighing more than advertised and delays are killing the ones on the preorder list. Some guys have backed out and walked away, others are thinking of doing the same while others are hanging in there tough. Myself, I can't waite until this pup comes out so we can finally see if it will live up to all the hype.
For $2500, you're a braver man than me:rolleyes:.
While you're waiting for your MDR to materialize, take some time to shop for soap.
Here's a snip from a 'non-factory' MDR review:
Photo caption Adaptation Photography Jaw Selfie

@sadsackmac: Pre-orders don't work with KT's because they send the guns they make to distributors who send them to dealers pretty-much at random.
They know wherever they send them that they will sell in less than a week so they don't really keep track of how many of what went where and when.
Like if you have 30 dealers that all want 10, and you only have 8 total to ship, where do you send them?
Pre-orders basically just guarantee that for every happy customer, you have 20 more angry people. (see the MDR below)
Unhappy Curt said:
Curt says:
October 16, 2017 at 09:01
I’ve been on the preorder list since Feb 2016, basically just after they opened preordes at the NRA show. That’s a paid in full preorder direct through DT. I still have not received mine and my current ship date is at the end of November which was recently updated from the end of October. I’m not betting on getting mine before Christmas. If you ordered the 556 version, I think they are in for a longer wait. I bet we don’t see in different accessories or barrels well into 2018 or maybe even 2019.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
Paying 100% up front for a new rifle design is indicative of some serious mental issues, and hey, I have a few irrational firearms behaviors of my own so I'm not throwing stones. Even if I was a manufacturer with The Next Great Idea and people wanted to throw money at me, I wouldn't take it because it's a down payment on a metric ton of future grief and heartache when (not if, but when) the project runs later than initially estimated.

Heck, I won't even pay to get on a list to get a Kel-Tec that's already shipping, because those sorts of pre-paid orders put all the power in the dealer's hands. Too many times, I've seen cash strapped dealers take an MSRP payment on a soon-to-be-released Kel-Tec, use that money several times to buy other guns they're selling to help their cash flow situation, then when that Kel-Tec comes in they sell it online or quietly out the back door for 1.6X MSRP. So what did that pre-purchase get for the buyer? They think they're getting an allocated firearm ASAP for MSRP, but really all they've done is tied up their money with one dealer so they don't have that money to shop around when they could buy it on a competitive market, although definitely a seller's market. All the buyer has done is agree to buy it from one dealer when the street price drops to the price they paid, long in advance. As I said, it sets everyone up for a lot of grief and heartache.

When I want a new gun, I buy it when it's available at a price I'm willing to pay. I don't mess around with waiting lists and pre-orders, although if you have a trusted local dealer with a fixed markup a waiting list can be a good way to go. I generally prefer to keep my options open and not get locked in to one dealer, regardless of whether it's money paid in advance or an agreement to buy one when they get it.

There's no way I'd pay in advance for a Desert Tech that's under development.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
I wouldn't do it for KT. You wouldn't be any better off. Let the model go through the shake down for a year.
Then you will find one wen and where you're not looking for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't do it for video games, I don't do it for cars, and I don't do it for guns.

Pre-ordering is basically you giving a zero interest loan to the producer. Why? Because you're impatient. Put the money in the bank, wait three years, and buy an RDB survival, and you'll have made a few bucks of interest and learned some important life lessons.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't do it for video games, I don't do it for cars, and I don't do it for guns.

Pre-ordering is basically you giving a zero interest loan to the producer. Why? Because you're impatient. Put the money in the bank, wait three years, and buy an RDB survival, and you'll have made a few bucks of interest and learned some important life lessons.
yeah the only thing i preorder are movie tickets at theaters that allow you to pay for particular seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one F S in New Orleans if anyone is on the area ????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.