Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is on FB and I forgot to make it public. I just made it public so that anyone on or off FB can view.

Try the link and see if it works now.
Works.now thanks. That looks pretty cool and seems to help with reloads especially because you really can't see unless you purposely look. Do they have a price point figured out yet?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No price point info. Part of them giving me one to play with was to see what the desires would be for them to produce it. Also, is 3D printed okay (cheaper) or a no-go.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
Injection molded is nice, but I've been VERY impressed with the strength of 3D printed ABS. I'd guess it's about 80% as strong as injection molded ABS, which is to say wicked strong. In the real world, a mag well would probably be way stronger than needed regardless of whether it was injection molded or 3D printed... or the 3D printed part might have 25% more ABS if needed to meet some minimum strength requirement.

On the down side, 3D printed parts have a fine layered look that can look like fine detailed texturing or it may look like a 3D printed prototype, depending on the particular design. On the up side, it's possible to 3D print parts that can't be manufactured any other way, including injection molding. It's also possible to optimize the part for strength only in the direction it's needed and otherwise as lightweight as possible/ And for low volume production, like an RDB mag well accessory might be, there is no tooling cost as there would be for injection molding. If a manufacturer was forced to buy a $20,000 mold and only sold 1000 parts, there is an added $20 to the cost of each unit... before applying any markup to create a profit.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
FYI,

this magwell is 3D printed using a Carbon fiber reinforced nylon material at 0.1mm layer thickness (most likely it will stay at that layer thickness, but no guarantee). It is EXTREMELY durable and looks fantastic (MUCH better than the usual ABS parts from the hobby printers out there). most people probably can't tell it is 3D printed until they look up close.

We are planning a few other 3D printed accessories too (CMR-30 case deflector is next). As Liberty4ever mentioned above, it's just not always viable to injection mold something, especially if there is no guarantee of a market to justify the mold costs. But 3D printing has no mold cost (or mold making lead time), and allows for more unique designs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thank you for the clarification on 3D printing and suppose I personally don't have a preference as long as it's tested to hold-up.

As an observation, I haven't heard of the magwell being a huge issue for any number of people nor have I found it to be problematic in my somewhat limited use. (I haven't even notice the need for a case deflector on my CMR-30 for that matter - again limited use on that one as well.) I would agree with the brass catcher request earlier in the thread given the number of times I've been burned when bench shooting. In any event, I'm sure you have good visibility in terms of what people are asking for and necessary enhancement areas so will be nice to see these materialize.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FYI,

this magwell is 3D printed using a Carbon fiber reinforced nylon material at 0.1mm layer thickness (most likely it will stay at that layer thickness, but no guarantee). It is EXTREMELY durable and looks fantastic (MUCH better than the usual ABS parts from the hobby printers out there). most people probably can't tell it is 3D printed until they look up close.

We are planning a few other 3D printed accessories too (CMR-30 case deflector is next). As Liberty4ever mentioned above, it's just not always viable to injection mold something, especially if there is no guarantee of a market to justify the mold costs. But 3D printing has no mold cost (or mold making lead time), and allows for more unique designs.
Got mine today, the top part is a bit rough, but the more visible areas and all the functional parts are super smooth for 3D printing and look nice. Seems really sturdy, and works great. What would easily be a fumble/miss on a reload is swiftly guided in by these shiny black lips of glory. An unexpected, but much appreciated addition to the rifle! Worth 20 bucks, and super fast shipping :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.