RDB in 7.62/.308 - WHEN?

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by OstAgain, Apr 23, 2020.

1. OstAgain

OstAgain Member

Apr 22, 2020
    Hello everyone.
    I'm new here (Just bought my 1st Kel-Tec, a Sub-2000 to go with my 9mm Glock's & am a fan!), tried looking around but likely missed it if it this were posted before but: When is a 7.62/.308 RDB going to grace us with its presence... or has it already and I'm just not seeing it on the glorious inter-webs?
    Thanks for your help!

2. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    My guess is never, but I don't work for KT and I don't know anyone there. There exists the RFB which is in .308 so why would KT pay for R&D to make something they already have? Yes, I know the actions are different, but they are both bullpups.

To me it would make no business sense. It would be like having a business franchise and opening a 2nd identical business franchise across the street to compete with yourself.

3. Ken_W

Ken_W Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Splendora, Texas
    That's what a RFB is 308. Shoots nice.

odinforever2000 likes this.
  4. odinforever2000

odinforever2000 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Cuz...making a new 308 Bullpup from a 556 gun is hard (Looking at the MDR and Tavor rifles).

5. Ken_W

Ken_W Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Splendora, Texas
    You and me both, mainly the Tavor in 300 black out. Just can not swallow the price when I have 3 AR15's set up for 300 bo and out of work for 5 weeks.

6. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    RFB here, Bullpup Forums, and FB has RFB fan groups
    Good times for FRB, Lucky Irishman is working on a Mlock rail for it due out soon.

7. Signe

Signe Active Member

Jul 25, 2019
    I cant remember exactly where, but in interviews a while ago Kel Tec reps have repeatedly stated they will eventually replace the RFB with an RDB variant in .308/7.62x51. From what I understand, this was primarily due to the high manufacturing cost and difficulty of manufacturing the RFB well, which is kind of self evident when you look at the disassembly of both firearms, especially if you critically examine parts like the bolts of both firearms. The RDB has this very simple square piece that is milled with some basic geometry, and welded to a tube, and the RFB uses this awfully complicated bolt that tilts and has expensive to machine curvature, and so on. And also the prices of both. Kel Tec RDB's are now possible to acquire for $650-750 (and dropping) without any significant sales going on, whereas the RFB has been firmly stuck around $1100 for years. The action size difference is not that significant when scaling up from 5.56/6.5 grendel action sizes, to that of .308, especially with how the RDB is laid out and designed, it should not cost 30-40% more.

I expect eventually they might replace the RFB with another RDB variant, but it might take some time. Especially with the firearms market being the way it is at the moment.

0wen, OstAgain and WolfWings like this.
  8. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    He is and I hope ima like it..I haven't seen any updates to the initial prototype Pics.. Really hoping he does something about the gap between the top of the trigger guard and the bottom of the hand gaurd (I really hate seeing a gap there..)

But as mentioned by others..Dudes..there is the RFB..Its a good gun. Just like its 556 lil bro, best bull-pup for the price they occupy.(650$-800 for the 556) and <1000$-1400$ for the .308. If you want better (subjective) youll have to pay..sometimes ALOT more.

9. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    I was referring more to the problems found in both rifles. The MDR didn't come out for YEARS and its 556 mod for at least a year after that (Shown of a shot show..2014?)..Even after that it still had qc and they updated the gas system twice (1 time less than the RFB).

Cant swallow the price on the Tavor? If thats what you mean..Me either...Thats why I have an RFB and RDB :p

OstAgain likes this.
  10. OstAgain

OstAgain Member

Apr 22, 2020
    Thanks for the responses. I saw an interview with Chad (forgot last name) from Kel tec where he was saying the RDB was the evolution of the RFB, basically. It much simpler, cheaper for them to produce, and a very smart design in my opinion. They already make the RDB in 6.5 just with different plastic on it. I’m no engineer but it doesn’t seem like it’d be that big of a stretch to scale things to 7.62. Stay healthy everyone

11. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    So...the 6.5 Grendel (Not creedmore) is an intermediate cartridge not a full power rifle round..While there are a couple videos (Hank Strange and MAC circa 2016) with the 6.5 Grendel Rdb...Its not currently available.

Now..If they had made (which they havent) a 6.5 Creedmore RDB ..yey..a 308 Rdb would be a cinch.

Just a note...There 10,000 PSI difference between 6.5 Grendel and 308.That might be what complicates things..

12. OstAgain

OstAgain Member

Apr 22, 2020
    Fair point :) The video I saw was 2-3 years ago by “military arms channel” on YouTube so don’t know what has/hasn’t happened between then & now. I just like the design of the RDB much more than the RFB. It’s elegant in it’s simplicity to my eyes. I’d be adding another Kel-Tec to the unending number of weapons the wife keeps telling me is more than enough if one were produced haha

odinforever2000 likes this.
  13. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    What would be stupid simple to do would be a .300 BLK RDB and I don't see it. All it would take is a barrel chambered for it.

But a .308 RDB would make sense if they phase out the RFB.

OstAgain likes this.
  14. WolfWings

WolfWings Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Kansas City
    I kinda get the feeling the P11 being discontinued is a sign of things to come, KT being more willing to shrink their SKU's. Even with the RDB the "Defender" is more an evolution of the original 17 since the new foregrip is way more useful, especially with the California/Canada versions turning out to actually be liked by some of us in other areas as well.

15. amstel78

amstel78 Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I like the RFB and the RDB. I actually own both. The RDB has a far better gas system that actually suppresses well. The RFB, not so much. I had to purchase a suppressor-specific piston which makes it work, but it's still slightly over gassed. Going loud means having to break down the rifle to replace the piston.

The RDB is a culmination of lessons learned from the RFB. KT was able to correct most of the mistakes made with the RFB.

For what it's worth though, the trigger in my RFB is still better than the RDB; it breaks cleanly at 3.3lbs according to my digital gauge. The RDB is around 5.5lbs. Both resets are barely audible and mushy though which can be attributed to the linkage setup.

To me, the RFB would have been perfect if they had figured out the gas system prior to launch, as well going with AR pattern 308 mags instead of the FAL. Back in the day, good surplus FAL mags were easy to get. Today, not so much.

I've handled the new Tavor 7. It's a nice gun, but I'd rather keep my RFB and use the other thousand bucks for something more important.

[​IMG]

OstAgain and iamscottasus like this.
  16. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    RE: Gas system.
    Well to be fair..Desert tech hadn't "figured out their gas system" until after launch (And they had 4 or 5 years Before launching that rifle in 308 as it premiered when the RDB did). I believe they are on their 3rd update to that system before the SE models rolled out.

RE: the Keltec Triggers
    I have had Bullpup conversions (Muzzlelite Ruger mini 14 and 10/22 in a p90 stock lol) and shot older bullpups like the Bushmaster m17 and had shot Milspec triggers on several AR..Next to those..The Keltec bullpups have no mush Imho..I enjoy the trigger on my RDB almost as much as I like the Timmney trigger in my Ar :D

I get the complaint about the FAL mags but..Who knew then the AR10 pattern mags were going to be popular?

17. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    TAVOR7?
    Will I regret looking that up?

18. odinforever2000

Oct 6, 2011
    Nope!

19. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Actually they did have the gas system worked out, they just didn't know their clientele for the MDR and that was the problem. They never envisioned their buyers would be using Russian and crap surplus ammo in the MDRs. Previous to the MDR their clients only fired the best ammo. So they never tested the MDR with the cheap stuff. The changes they made reflected that new information. It works fine today, at least in the .223 wylde chambering. Both UK Radford Green 62 gr surplus and Russian "classic" give no problems. I've heard that the 7.62 also works fine today and that's where the problems first appeared. But I don't know that firsthand. Today it's a good gun if one can afford the entry fee. Even the first gen guns are good if the owner got the upgrades that were offered for free.

20. OstAgain

OstAgain Member

Apr 22, 2020
    “I enjoy the trigger on my RDB almost as much as I like the Timmney trigger in my Ar :D” WOW, that is one heck of a claim my friend! I’ve served a bit over 20 years in the military, and built a bunch of ARs, some with nice triggers like you mention. I’ve shot a few bulpups and the triggers are all what I’d categorize as - crap, haha. I need to find one local to check out after the plague passes.