RDB First Run

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by Stevie-Ray, May 10, 2018.

1. Stevie-Ray

Stevie-Ray Active Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Took my brand new RDB for it's inaugural run over the last two days. Sighted in the Nikon at 25 yards first and that was as far as I got, as I met a guy there doing the same thing with a Henry, and we got to BSing. Needless to say, we didn't get much done, but it was nice to make a new friend. Went back yesterday and took it out to 100 yards. Wasn't even on paper. Couldn't figure out where they were going, so I plastered paper all over the backboard and figured out I was high by a bunch. Got it sighted at 100, and resting the front, while holding the stock against my shoulder, the best I could muster was 3MOA. This sound about right? It may do better in a full rest, (I have one on order) but my hands aren't quite as steady as they once were, and I'm a coffee drinker to boot. I figured the Nikon would be better served on the AR, and the EOTech and BUIS from the AR on the RDB, for shooting at 50 yards max, which gave me great groups. Did I jump the gun, or is that about the size of it? Oh, and ammo was American Eagle XM193.

The RDB gave me no trouble and was a total blast with every shot, and I can't wait to shoot it again.

2. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Sometimes the rail is loose.

3. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    Sometimes it's the coffee-drinker:rolleyes:.
    3 MOA is about all I can do without a good gun-rest.
    I either put the gun in a sled or let other people shoot it to get a good idea of how it shoots.
    More interested in fun instead of the 'covered-the-group-with-a-quarter' thing:p.

4. kaveman

kaveman Active Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Just looking at the design I would expect best accuracy with the rifle lightly rested against the forward bow of the trigger guard. I think you're asking for it to throw shots if rested up near the forward handguard mounting point which is attached to the barrel.

All theory,.....my one trip to the range and I didn't even get the -S or -C out of their cases.

Liberty4Ever likes this.
  5. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    What kaveman said. I was going to post almost exactly the same thing.

Semiautomatic bullpups are not known for accuracy, Kel-Tec or otherwise. The RDB uses the barrel as the spine of the rifle, which is kind of the opposite of a free floated barrel. Supporting the rifle as far back as possible minimizes the changes in the forces that tend to bend the barrel, but it's still far from ideal. It might get you a bit better than 3 MOA, but it still won't be a sub-MOA semiautomatic.

6. Stevie-Ray

Stevie-Ray Active Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Thanx guys, that's kinda what I figured. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the performance, but I'm going next time with a full rest, and try out both the AR and the RDB, after seeing what I can do with the above suggestion. Both rifles are a lot of fun, and at least I've got plenty of ammo for them. Whichever rifle does best, gets the Nikon, though I'm expecting that to be the AR.

7. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I want to see some groups without the fore arm. They all are loose.
    Try some 65-70 grain .223