Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sometimes even pulling the charging handle to rack a round would jam a round into the feeding ramp/barrel opening.
Why it happens with one mag but not the other I don't know, could be just luck of the draw. But I would first make sure that the consistent failure with PMAG you describe isn't simply double feed due to initial failure to extract.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stupid Question time... when you're racking another round after clearing a jam are you properly locking the handle up, then thumbing the handle down so it carries forward under full spring weight, or are you trying to just 'pull back and release' the charging handle?

The ejector on the RDB is rather tight, so any kind of 'gentle' release besides the bolt-release or using the 'rotate up' catch can result in it not latching on, so things won't extract at all since the bolt has to latch onto the bullet as it's chambering. When I made that user error I had the same 'pushed in' bullet result.
I don't always rotate up and "thumb/slap" the charging handle when racking a new round but I make sure to pull the handle all the way to the rear and release it. Those pushed in bullets are from me trying to rack another round with the previous jam, user error. The jams are mostly caused after firing a single round and then "click" - jammed round.

My suspicion is that there is something going on with the feeding ramp and changing between magazine sizes may exacerbate this problem. It always seems to be the second round that jams (i.e., the right fed round is fired and the left fed round gets jammed on the feeding ramp).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah my thinking was if the first round wasn't chambered "hard enough" for the extractor to latch onto the bullet then it'd fire... next round gets pushed in instead because the old round wasn't extracted.

It gets better with use as the extractor spring gets enough cycles on it to be a bit more reasonable for spring rate I think, but yeah if the push-ins were from manually trying to rack a new round before realizing there was a jam/FTE then ignore me entirely on that one.

Hopefully it behaves smoothly when you get it back from KT! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've shot at least 500 rounds through this rifle, so it's past its initial break-in phase. Adjusting the gas system didn't help. It's about time to have Keltec figure out what's going on, however much it sucks to ship a new rifle across the country.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Following up on my RDB-C. I sent it in to KelTec for repair on 5/4 and had it returned on 5/17 (fast turnaround! Shipped from CA). The service notes on the Repair Order are as follows:

-Replaced bolt head assembly and picatinny screws
-Added loctitie to picatinny screws
-Upgraded trigger spring
-Inspected and fired with no malfunctions
-Gas set at +8 with 55gr .223 Fiocchi.

I was finally able to take the RDB-C to the range today, now that it's open again, and did not have a single failure to feed or jam. I was using both my 10 round Pmag as well as the 30 round Pmag. I'm so happy that Keltec was able to fix it and get it to 100%. Only time will tell if the rail becomes loose again. Great experience with Keltec and my faith in the reliability of the RDB-C is fully restored.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After a less-than-confidence-assuring buying experience on Gunbroker being sold a 2 year old RDB, and after reading forum post after forum post about inconsistent FTF and FTE issues, and then having issues with even finding any ammo, I finally got my RBD17 out to a "range" to put some rounds though her, and finally see if it had any of the issues some seem to have had.

I was talking to a friend, and mentioned that I couldn't find anything local, he says "hey, I've got thousands of rounds, have a pile", and he gives me about 60 ... idk what they were, and when I asked him, he didn't either. "I think they're 62g? IDK, don't remember, I just dump it all into bins... but this'll get you started."
Got a couple boxes of overpriced($24/20!) Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded 62gr.
Got several boxes of cheapo CMG 55gr FMJ ($8).

A Magpul 30 and a 20, and a steel 10 round mag, all ran through the whole pile without a hiccup, no gas adjustment from factory recommended of -5, no FTE/FTF. Ran smooth as a sewing machine. The only screws that walked out at all were the ones that hold on the butt-pad.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Haha, not sure if you're being sarcastic about my no-issue post. ;)
Mostly I wanted to add the info here to reassure people researching the rifle. This post and forum in general, are some of the first places that come up in goog searches re: the reliability of this rifle, so I just thought I'd add a bit of positive to balance the worries.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Same thing is happening to me. Just got my RDB-C. It’s my first rifle. Using Pmags and lancer 10 rd. My problem seems to be on chambering the first round. If I don’t do it just right, not to hard not too soft, it doesn’t fire and bends a round.
Yea..If its on chambering the round..You need to send it back to Keltec.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
I w hand cycling my action and trying the take down pins in various positions.
I found that upside-down, the bolt face will not rotate fully and stop on the barrel extension face. Then with a pin removed it locks up fine. There is a lot of slop between the rails and the bolt carrier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kemo3425, Oddly enough your rounds could be mistaken for mine. I have had this for almost a year now and have tried everything related to the gas port, nothing will make this thing function correctly. I have been to two different ranges on 3 different occasions and have had at one time no less than 3 guys out on the range trying to figure out what in the world is going on with this thing. Due to my workload I don't have a lot of down time so that's why I've had it for so long before returning it. I bet in total it doesn't have 300 rounds through it. Even charging it to load the first round 9 times out of 10 just crushes the casing. I'm finished, It's going back, I'm tired of guessing and having everyone tell me how uncommon this is. I will be following your post in hopes you get somewhere with it, I will let you know what I am told as well. God Bless.....
I have this same issue. I have not had time to research it, but it bends bullets just like in everybody’s images!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, Just a follow up. I went to the Kel-Tec website opened(Or attempted to open) a ticket. 3 days later I have still heard nothing. Called Kel-Tec and honestly the guy on the phone sounded extremely annoyed and told me to send it in, I told him I haven't gotten a response from my email yet and he said so what, You want it fixed send it in we'll look at it. I was less than impressed when he then asked what I was using and I told him an RDB bullpup and he said, "Yeah, thanks, I know what an RDB is." Guess I didnt need to add the "Bull pup" on the end? I don't think Ill even send it in, I think Ill sell it and let whoever wants it know something is not quite right and I don't know what it is, I'll take a hit but this thing will be out of my hair. This will be my last Kel-Tec.
I’m pretty disappointed, I have never bought a firearm that did not work at all! That’s crap. What if I had to defend myself?!? I got it!!!! Throw it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m pretty disappointed, I have never bought a firearm that did not work at all! That’s crap. What if I had to defend myself?!? I got it!!!! Throw it!
I recently bought mine new, I would think keltec would have worked out the issues since all these posts of sending them back for service! I’ve only had one worse fire arm, an Italian Guisepi pistol!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
When KT services the RDB, they usually polish the feed ramps as part of any functioning solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got an RDB-C. I haven't taken it to the range yet (trying to find ammo :(), but I've been dry firing with some snap caps. These snap caps are made from real casings and (I think) real slugs, but the primer is replaced with some rubber. I bought a pack of 15 snap caps, and all but 6 of them are dented and bent.

I'm trying to figure out when the casings are getting dented. The dent is in the exact same spot. once a round is dented, I have to disassemble the rifle and yank it out of the barrel with a pair of pliers...not promising. But, that does tell me that the rounds are getting as they're getting loaded into the barrel.

At least a few of them were double feeds, because I didn't realize there was one stuck in the barrel, but it's happened on a the first snap cap in the mag at least once.

and, obviously, this isn't a gas adjustment issue since these are snap caps.
IMG_1070.jpg
f

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got an RDB-C. I haven't taken it to the range yet (trying to find ammo :(), but I've been dry firing with some snap caps. These snap caps are made from real casings and (I think) real slugs, but the primer is replaced with some rubber. I bought a pack of 15 snap caps, and all but 6 of them are dented and bent.

I'm trying to figure out when the casings are getting dented. The dent is in the exact same spot. once a round is dented, I have to disassemble the rifle and yank it out of the barrel with a pair of pliers...not promising. But, that does tell me that the rounds are getting as they're getting loaded into the barrel.

At least a few of them were double feeds, because I didn't realize there was one stuck in the barrel, but it's happened on a the first snap cap in the mag at least once.

and, obviously, this isn't a gas adjustment issue since these are snap caps.
View attachment 52078 f
I have similar snap caps and they cycle just fine in my RDB-C. Granted that I have already ran about 200 rounds of XM193 in my rifle at the range without any issue.

One way to determine what could have caused the damage is by slowly let go of the bolt when doing manual cycling. You should not feel any resistance with the bolt movement until the very end of its travel where it locks in to the barrel extension. When I carry out this action too slow, sometimes the bolt will fail to lock properly. Good thing is on RDB when the charging handle is unfolded and is locked into the operating rod, it can also act as forward assist.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts