Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received my brand new RDB two weeks ago. I took it to the range and put about 60 rounds through it with no issues or gas adjustments.

After returning home, I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it, and now it won’t feed.

It bends and dents brass cases on the locking lugs and won’t chamber.

I’ve tried several different magazines.

The only thing I can see that’s odd is the action spring is visible out the back (stock end) of the bolt carrier assembly. The photos in the manual lead me to believe that I shouldn’t be able to see this spring (I.e. it should be contained within the tube).

Also, I don’t see part #321 piston retainer. Did the design change to eliminate 321?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
You are seeing some of the new changes made to later RDB. Good news for you because the spring catch would break.
Also, your firing pin should not have a spring
Your rifle is correct.
After a good clean, you may run different.
what is happening to you now is typical of being under-gassed. How could this happen? because the gas adjustment is a bleed-off that vents out the front. By cleaning, you just made more clearance for gas making the piston underpowered. clean again, go to range and shoot one at and time adjusting the gas more + until you get (1) positive ejection (2) bolt hold back (3) lightly dented case necks. When you find this, mark the place on the adjustment wheel.
Then as you shoot more, look at your brass necks to see is your getting over gassed and adjust.
This is not a "set it and forget it" rifle.

Reactions: 0wen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are seeing some of the new changes made to later RDB. Good news for you because the spring catch would break.
Also, your firing pin should not have a spring
Your rifle is correct.
After a good clean, you may run different.
what is happening to you now is typical of being under-gassed. How could this happen? because the gas adjustment is a bleed-off that vents out the front. By cleaning, you just made more clearance for gas making the piston underpowered. clean again, go to range and shoot one at and time adjusting the gas more + until you get (1) positive ejection (2) bolt hold back (3) lightly dented case necks. When you find this, mark the place on the adjustment wheel.
Then as you shoot more, look at your brass necks to see is your getting over gassed and adjust.
This is not a "set it and forget it" rifle.
Thanks but that’s not it.

I can insert a loaded mag, pull back charging handle, let it go to load a round, and it strips a new round and crushes it against the back of the barrel locking lugs.

It won’t chamber a round to even attempt to fire it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I received my brand new RDB two weeks ago. I took it to the range and put about 60 rounds through it with no issues or gas adjustments.

After returning home, I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it, and now it won’t feed.

It bends and dents brass cases on the locking lugs and won’t chamber.

I’ve tried several different magazines.

The only thing I can see that’s odd is the action spring is visible out the back (stock end) of the bolt carrier assembly. The photos in the manual lead me to believe that I shouldn’t be able to see this spring (I.e. it should be contained within the tube).

Also, I don’t see part #321 piston retainer. Did the design change to eliminate 321?
Kemo,
I have the exact same issue with mine (#Z2W). I purchased it in February of 2019. First 600 rounds were problem free, and then it started bending bullets.

Called KT and they sent a shipping label. I just got it back yesterday. The work order showed that they changed the barrel assembly, bolt head, polished the feed ramps, and test fired, with no malfunctions. The gas was set at +6.

Took it to the range immediately and had the same issue...still waiting for a call back.

I am still holding out hope for this gun, but I am less than enthused at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Uuugh!:wall:
Do guns work better in Florida?
Just wait, someone will pop up here to say they have had thousands of rounds without a hick up. That's not me.
I am sure KT will make it good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
KT may not be the best at quality control but they're at least pretty good at owning up to their issues and making them right if this forums is a good measure for that.

Uuugh!:wall:
Do guns work better in Florida?
Just wait, someone will pop up here to say they have had thousands of rounds without a hick up. That's not me.
I am sure KT will make it good.
The trick is you need a beard and a wizard hat for perfect magical RDB functions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you take a pic of the ejection "port?" .. sometimes, during reassembly, the rear end of the spring giide rod is not seated properly causing extra tension on the spring...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Progress today.

I polished the bolt face with a dremel tool and gray compound. It will feed and fire about 80%-90% reliable now with brass Ammo.

After test firing about 30-40 rounds, I took it back into the shop to polish the chamber with a hone as well as the radius entry to the chamber. The radius into the chamber had rough ridges from machining at the factory. I also de-burred the lugs on the bolt and barrel. They were so sharp that the were gouging metal out of steel cases rounds.

I’ll test fire tomorrow and give an update.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish I had a pic of the barrel lugs before smoothing them and the chamber radius. They were extremely sharp

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran about 60-80 or so rounds through it a couple of days ago.

After all of the polishing it was still occasionally crushing a brass round.

Oddly, increasing the gas setting alleviated the problem.

The issue now is that it’s throwing 4-6 MOA groups with brass. It’s better with steel. Not sure if it’s the rifle or the scope. 1-6 vortex strike eagle.

Impact point (center of group) was moving around 2-3 MOA per click. Scope is 1/2 MOA per click by design.

I pulled and pushed on the scope and the rail will move or deflect side to side. All of the screws are tight. I removed the second from rear rail screw and it had thread locker on it. I re-installed and torqued with thread locker. Weird design in that screw only went into a threaded bracket that isn’t connected to anything. It simply provides the screw a threaded hole.

I removed the scope and re-mounted with loctite on the screws and used a torque screw driver.

I’ll test it again soon. Group size may have been bad from slight damage to brass rounds as they chambered or due to scope mounting problems.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
The rail is meant to float under the rear screw because of the flexing, like a wet noodle, you can see it in slow motion. the rear screw should have a spring between the head and the rail. The screw should be snug, not tight.
The bullet leaves the barrel before any rail movement can affect POI.
RDB likes heavier weight boolits. What are you shooting?

I don't know for sure which barrel you have, but 4 MOA isn't bad for these RDB. You may get 2 MOA with 70 grain. the 6MOA is probably you or a hot barrel. The shots that count are your first cold shots.
The forearm can have some movement needing to be taken up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Th rail is meant to float under the rear screw because of the flexing, like a wet noodle, you can see it in slow motion. the rear screw should have a spring between the head and the rail. The screw should be snug, not tight.
The bullet leaves the barrel before any rail movement can affect POI.
RDB likes heavier weight boolits. What are you shooting?

I don't know for sure bbl you have, but 4 MOA isn't bad for these RDB. You may get 2 MOA with 70 grain. the 6MOA is probably you or a hot barrel. The shots that count are your first cold shots.
The forearm can have some movement needing to be taken up.
I’ve tried a variety of loads. Most were 55 or 62. I do have some 75 that I haven’t tried

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the RDB back to the range today.

I can’t believe I paid $800 for this thing. I could have bought 2 AR-15s for that much.

I’m getting about 5 MOA groups from a bench rest with 6x scope. Pics attached.

About 50% hit probability on large torso plates at 200 yards.

Oddly, the hits are “better” at 350 yards.

Before anyone says anything about the ammo used, it will not feed brass ammo without bending or crushing the cases. Brass groups are worse.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 109 Posts