Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm waiting on my RDB to be delivered. In the mean time I'm ordering some upgrades. The lucky Irishman rhino, flared mag well, etc.

I came across a dust cover on thingiverse. It's the plans for it to 3D printed. Here's the link.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4001233

It is free to download. I don't have a 3D printer but I found a website where you can submit the plans and pay someone else to print it out.

www.treatstock.com

I ordered mine in a Nylon/carbon fiber mixed plastic. I ordered 2 and with shipping it was only about $23. I don't know if this has been posted before but I'm hoping it works pretty decent.

Now for the next part of the thread. I want fake suppressor. Preferably a barrel shroud version I think. But I don't know anything about them. Can someone point me in the right direction to a good one? Pros and cons to doing this?

·
Registered
337 Posts
First: Neat find on the dust cover! Bookmarked for later. :)

Playing with even cosmetic faux suppressors can be risky from a legal perspective, since there's no legal requirement of any specific degree of suppression for it to count as one. And as the inner baffles can be wearing items in some designs the housing/cosmetic shell is often the serialized part.

Either go all-in and do the paperwork/tax stamp/etc for a full suppressor, or just stick to "blast forwarding", or "blast shield" attachments with a muzzle brake/flash hider/compensator depending on where you're at if you're looking for something to dangle off the end of your barrel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have watched Inrange's mud test on RDB, this is one thing they have mentioned that the RDB could have had in order to make it pass. I personally think if kt were to come up with a ejection port cover, it would be like the bomb doors on the bomber, hinges on the longer side of the cover and has two flaps that opens like a french door. The only question is how to make this flap open on its own when firing.

One solution I can think of is to introduce a spring loaded connector bar at the end of the rifle sitting just in front of and blow the buffer, The other end of the bar will touch the front or the back of the port covers, so that when the bolt is travelling back, the connector bar will "kick" open the covers like how it works on a regular ar15. If it helps you to visualize my idea, think of the heel magazine release of an HK P7. Hmm, if anyone has a spare rdb lower wants to donate to me I can try to make a prototype.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, that mud test was awesome and telling: protect the ejection port bc the hammer is right there.

It got me thinking about bomb doors too, but what I was thinking was making two flaps out of duct/gorilla tape and let the outgoing shell just push them open. This might be a fire hazard though. Maybe put something that's more heat resistant on the inside surface?

·
Registered
337 Posts
So for folks with an RDB-C or -S, this design doesn't work as it relies on the RDB-17's buttstock which has some extra unused mounting holes. It's also tricky to print because it has no single flat plane to work around so it ends up needing a fair bit of support or else you end up with a severely banded print on home printers.

I'm working on a design made to be printable with minimal fuss for the -C/-S models. It clips into the small gap in the rear of the magwell so the pivot is in the front of the chute instead of the rear. This also has good access to a small hole in the wall between the magwell and ejection chute that may allow for adding a spring easily and out of the path of ejecting shells since the spring will stay up against that same wall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts