Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gregchico Definitely didn't fit. had to remove about .060 to get it to forcefully fit. Took another .040 so it wasn't in continuous contact. Can't tell from the picture but how much clearance does yous have?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe there is sock contact, just very light (as evidenced by the ever so slight wear in the lever in the picture). As stated before in the last D60 thread, I do have to seat the magazine with a genital love tap (as I do with almost all my magazines when I seat them), but after that, it runs great, I have never had any issues.

I'm unable to measure the wobble or space in between the stock and magazine so I tried to do something that anybody else should be able to replicate (I don't own any feeler gauges). I can wiggle apiece a paper in between the magazine loading lever and the stock. When the paper is folded in half, it does not move smoothly when wiggling the magazine. I can not move the paper without tearing the paper with it is in 4ths.

Also I just received my rifle back from KelTec where they replaced the right side of my stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thought I had is possibly your magazine or mine has had design changes made to it I got mine recently during California Freedom week but it could have been on the shelf for who knows how long.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also enjoyed "Freedom Week", that is where my D60 came from also. My rifle is a Z3Gxx purchased back in 1-19. Maybe yours in newer/older.

I just get concerned that some people read something on the internet and take it as fact without trying it out themselves (when it is something this simple). I believe Abraham Lincoln said that....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
01-23-2020 got mine. Haven't even got to shoot it or sights yet. Although I always seem to spend more time working on them than shooting. Having a machine shop in your garage will make you do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The RDB-C in the original post has the new version lower receiver, it may be longer in the grip than yours, Gregchico.
Which variant is the "newer" lower receiver design?
  • The one with the deep-scallop (presumably to grip shortie magazines)?
  • Or the one with the flat M4-style floor?
Visiting Kel-Tec's site today, I took the below screenshot.

• Note the (current?) "RDB Hunter" and "RDB Survival" pictured on sales page appears to use the M4-style floor.
  • Further, the marketing materials claim "Magazine Capacity: 10 or any AR15 compatible magazine".
  • Note the D60 is explicitly "AR15 compatible". Page says nothing about "except".

Looking at 2016 Shot Show announcement, it uses the M4-style floor.

The RDB-C I ordered sometime in 2021 was pictured on store as having M4-style floor, but came with deep-scallop.

Should we write Kel-Tec regarding the inaccuracy of their website description?
The M4 style magwell has distinct "KEEP OUT" zones, which is why PMAG M3 (D60 based on) has overtravel stop.
(Same reason why PMAG M3 vs EMAG are sometimes problematic.)

I think this is worth writing in to Kel-Tec about. The marketing materials (pictures and text) are explicitly wrong.
For those in California, the magazine is (figuratively) worth more than the gun.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Line Gun barrel

Grey Composite material Tool Gun accessory Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
That cut-out looks like it is there to assist in magazine removal for those who are limited to 10 round mags.
It does seem a bit high though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called KelTec and spoke with "Nick" at extension 132, highlighting the issues in Comment #12.

Notes from call:
  • He stated this was the first he had heard of it.
  • He went to "the marketing department next door" while on the call and grabbed a stock module for old + new versions.
  • He reproduced the old version (flat) accepted a D60.
  • He reproduced the new version (scalloped) did NOT accept a D60.
  • The scalloped version is the new version, and is investment-molded (not 3d printed) so changing mold is not actionable.
  • They do not sell only the clamshells (for grinding flat without damaging original) by themselves, only the entire stock module.
  • The entire stock modules are intentionally priced prohibitively ($650+?) to dissuade people from swapping.
  • The only option I was presented was to send the entire rifle in to be assessed.
So this looks like a regression. (Feature that was working, and is no longer working after some update.) That's pretty bad in engineering land.

That is "word of god" from KelTec on this issue, as relayed by some anonymous nobody on the internet. I hope they offer a fix sometime later.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I understand the desire to have the drum mag', but before anyone gets bent out of shape over it try it first in a bullpup that it will fit into. One attempt was enough for me to know that I would need another joint in my arm to be comfortable having it in place and attain a good shooting position. The drum gets in the way and not in a minor way with human anatomy. Keltec should have worded the mag requirement differently. It'll still take Surefire mags and another brand from Germany (should fit) whose name escapes me now. But even if it's able to get it in place I doubt anyone will actually like it there. In front of the trigger it's out of the way but that's not a bullpup.

Too, having all that ammo weight on the Survival RDB sorta isn't what the Survival version is all about to my way of thinking. Just because it can be done should it be done? If I had a Survival I'd be thinking more along the lines of 20 and 30 round (at most) mags where they are legal. It's not a rifle for a firefight, but for surreptitious use where one stays hidden as much as possible and is unseen. That's a good Rx in any scenario where one doesn't have aerial resupply, stay hidden and off the radar. The rifle is there to get outta Dodge (disengage).

Let the flames begin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For clarity: I personally don't feel too strongly on the matter beyond the engineering and design issue.

More companies should design their firearm actions better to decouple them from magazine reliability (cough Sten). And test mags more broadly during vetting and design (cough MDRX 308 SR25-25 vs LR118-25). And have proper current documentation/marketing on their site.

It's about intended use appropriate the design. This (RDB-C) is a range toy for most; for duty use there are clearly mission-oriented designs like M27 IAR/HK 416/etc. "Right tool right job."

Although RDB-Defender (and magwell) may be different, as images of a Floridan school resource volunteer have been making the rounds recently has shown.

But for those who managed to acquire (whatever few or great many) mags they have during Freedom Week, this is indeed a pain point being incompatible with the most reliable/prevalent drum mag on the market. As, unfortunately, other states like Washington may be joining them shortly — until Duncan v Becerra is heard at least.

(The name of the other you are thinking about is Schmeisser imported by ATI, or AC Unity from Bosnia-Herzegovina.)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, that's the name.

Freedom week? There are ways around that and there are other states where mags are legal to buy. Use your imagination and a friend in a free state or a mail box service. I haven't seen a date on a mag in years. I won't write more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts