Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wondering if anyone has modified the grip on their RDB-C in any way. Maybe it's just that I have smaller hands, but with my lower 3 fingers firmly around the grip area, it's a bit of a stretch for my index finger to the trigger. It's not a big deal, but I feel that with a bit of additional grip added on in front (like the green highlighted area in the pic below), it would be considerably more comfortable to hold and shoot.

Does anyone have any ideas for a non-janky solution? Maybe Dan Haga wants to cook something up?

1036~4.jpg

·
Registered
345 Posts
Define "firmly in the grip area" maybe?

When I shoot my RDB-C my thumb is wrapped around right behind the rear of the rail, with my three fingers tucked pretty far up towards the trigger. Are you trying to keep your hand near the base of the grip area and reach your index finger forward?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think Steve Nevill first posted his grip tape fix in this thread; https://www.thektog.org/threads/my-featureless-rdb-c.271628/ that increases the amount of grip by a significant amount.

I ended up adding quite a bit more grip tape to mine, and find that my grip rises pretty high on the gun when I'm firing it usually with my ring finger just behind the trigger guard. Is this something like what you mean?

upload_2020-7-15_0-21-10.png

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I understand his original post correctly, I think he means something like the Magpul cheek risers, but for the grip area. Something that would move his hand forward closer to the trigger.

Seems like it would be fairly easy to design and 3d print, for someone that knows their way around those things. Not a complex part. Could probably attach right to the 2 closest screws on the grip.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If I understand his original post correctly, I think he means something like the Magpul cheek risers, but for the grip area. Something that would move his hand forward closer to the trigger.

Seems like it would be fairly easy to design and 3d print, for someone that knows their way around those things. Not a complex part. Could probably attach right to the 2 closest screws on the grip.
Yes, exactly. Having to "choke up" makes the grip angle even higher, and I prefer not to chicken wing and tilt my wrist so much if I can avoid it. For benchrest it doesn't really matter, but standing / moving my stance feels a little awkward compared to an AR or even a regular hunting rifle stock.

I like the rifle a lot as it is - I just think I might like it even more if there were a way to make this work.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Aaaah, so more looking for a 'wedge' of sorts to tilt your grip and arm down, okay yeah that makes a lot more sense. Seems right up DHD's alley if he's up to doing RDB-C stuff, though I dunno if he ever got his hands on an RDB-C or -S to 3D scan to build parts off of yet?

Honestly if he hasn't but has access to the 3D scanner still I'd be up to shipping him my grip if he wanted. Hell I'd include the forend and buttstock since I've replaced those, at that point he'd have a full RDB-C to scan sans the extra barrel length.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has modified the grip on their RDB-C in any way. Maybe it's just that I have smaller hands, but with my lower 3 fingers firmly around the grip area, it's a bit of a stretch for my index finger to the trigger. It's not a big deal, but I feel that with a bit of additional grip added on in front (like the green highlighted area in the pic below), it would be considerably more comfortable to hold and shoot.

Does anyone have any ideas for a non-janky solution? Maybe Dan Haga wants to cook something up?

View attachment 50432

I tried to mock something up, just like the green bit in your picture, using foam and tape to see if it would be worth fabricating something with fiber sheets and epoxy (stuff used in car repairs). It seemed better, but in the end, it wasn't worth it messing with it too much, it would have been kinda janky, and I really hated the crossbolt safety. I bought a pistol grip assembly from KT and made my own fingrip (for CA compliance) for it instead, but it's a pricey way to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been getting into the 3D printing gunsmithing community in part with hopes I could learn to mock up a design similar to what you're describing, that brings the rest of the hand farther forward and under the trigger guard maybe with a bit of hogue-like molding to make it easier to grip, and had the bright idea "what if you made a thumb shelf that disengages the crossbolt safety when you flip it into place", sort of have the thumb shelf be a single piece that protrudes out either/both sides for right or left hand shooting, linked through the grip just behind the trigger guard and design the geometry to push the crossbolt to the fire position when you pop the shelf down, and pops the other side of the crossbolt to safe when you flip it up; works from either side to turn a crossbolt safety into a flip safety and also allows you to lower your grip without hanging your thumb over the top of the receiver. And hopefully it could attach with just the screws on the trigger guard and a couple on the current grip area.

Now that I've seen someone in a thread specifically asking for something similar I guess I have to get serious, so I'm making this post so people who are interested can heckle me to get it done or tell me their better ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts