Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through all pics in the photo thread and do not see RDB-C builds with flashlights.

I am using a Holosun 403b red dot mount far down the rail. Can anyone recommend how to mount a flashlight? And what hardware works well for a home defense build? I am considering a Streamlight like the HL.

Thx.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You could mount a flashlight on top of the pic rail in front of the red dot. Something like Surefire M300 (or maybe even M600) should be out of sight that way. Streamlight HL will definitely be too chunky for that. Or you could use RM45 mount from Surefire to offset it to the side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can also mount a pic rail to the front stud and mount a flashlight underneath the handguard that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can also mount a pic rail to the front stud and mount a flashlight underneath the handguard that way.
Do you have a picture? I am not sure what you mean by the front stud. On the C version the grip is plastic with no bottom rail. Thx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have a picture? I am not sure what you mean by the front stud. On the C version the grip is plastic with no bottom rail. Thx.
I don't have enough posts to add links, but go to amazon, and search for caldwell pic rail adapter plate. It can be adjusted so that the rail is perfectly parallel to the barrel. I can then swap out the light with a pic bipod as needed. The fit is very good on the rdb-c.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't have enough posts to add links, but go to amazon, and search for caldwell pic rail adapter plate. It can be adjusted so that the rail is perfectly parallel to the barrel. I can then swap out the light with a pic bipod as needed. The fit is very good on the rdb-c.
I'll be honest, if I'd found that I'd likely have kept using the stock RDB-C handguard instead of switching to the shorter RDB-S model, because yeah that'd be a perfect place to mount a flashlight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be honest, if I'd found that I'd likely have kept using the stock RDB-C handguard instead of switching to the shorter RDB-S model, because yeah that'd be a perfect place to mount a flashlight.
Hopefully this will give people some more ideas. I found it after wanting a bipod, and Keltecs spec page indicated stud mounted bipods were supported. Beats a barrel clamp I tried earlier.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi all. My first post here.
Here's my solution for a Streamlight ProTac Rail 1 light mounted on the OEM RDB-C handguard.
I did just order a Lucky Irishman Extended handguard for 20" barrels. I'll decide how well it works vs this modified RDB-C handguard.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all. My first post here.
Here's my solution for a Streamlight ProTac Rail 1 light mounted on the OEM RDB-C handguard.
I did just order a Lucky Irishman Extended handguard for 20" barrels. I'll decide how well it works vs this modified RDB-C handguard.
Was the first picture the tactile switch for the light on the left side of the handguard? It looks very ergonomic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Was the first picture the tactile switch for the light on the left side of the handguard?
Yes, it's the pressure switch that came with the Streamlight Protac Rail 1. A Protac Rail 2 or HL-X would fit the same. In fact, the two screw bolt pattern on the bottom of the Streamlight Protac Rail 1/2/HL-X is the same a the Surefire Scout Light pattern so lights in that ecosystem should work too.

The trick is measuring and marking the spots to drill the holes so that it's straight. Calipers help here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if they should build a standard shared power pack on rifles and provide a standard bus you can tap into. We have flashlights, scopes, range finders, lasers, night vision, cameras each with their own battery pack with different cell sizes. They'd need something like a power bus built into the rails and exposable jacks or pogo pins so any thing you clamp on can draw off it, but it would make power management so much easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been struggling with a good way to mount a light to my RDB-D, this is the best I've come up with, and it works, but I don't love it. I have an Mlok 45 degree rail section and the light is somewhat tucked in, and somewhat ambi

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want to mount in on the 12oclock rail section, but it put its pretty high, and pretty far back. The new idea I am thinking of is one of those gooseneck AK rails that extends the picatinny rail towards the front (and in this case) slightly lowers it.

It would put the light farther forward, and a little lower, and eliminate the need for mlok rail sections and the pressure pad, which are all wins in my book, but it would be right over my can and piston, dunno if the old O light is up to the task

·
Registered
44 Posts
I want to mount in on the 12oclock rail section, but it put its pretty high, and pretty far back. The new idea I am thinking of is one of those gooseneck AK rails that extends the picatinny rail towards the front (and in this case) slightly lowers it.

It would put the light farther forward, and a little lower, and eliminate the need for mlok rail sections and the pressure pad, which are all wins in my book, but it would be right over my can and piston, dunno if the old O light is up to the task
If you're not married to the Olight, a Thorntail offset picatinny mount for scout light pattern could do what you're referring to (paired with a new Protac Rail or other scout compatible light).

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I really like the QD on the left. How does it not pull through? Is there a flange on the other side?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really like the QD on the left. How does it not pull through? Is there a flange on the other side?
I threaded the polymer, applied a healthy dose of epoxy, screwed the QD cup in, and built up the front and back with more epoxy. After fully curing, it's been pretty solid. I would've used the "polymer stock" QD cup but the back surface of the forend isn't flat enough to use that.

Check Grovtec for the QD cups.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're not married to the Olight, a Thorntail offset picatinny mount for scout light pattern could do what you're referring to (paired with a new Protac Rail or other scout compatible light).
I'm gonna try to stick with some sort of pistol light I can mount at 12 o clock

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm gonna try to stick with some sort of pistol light I can mount at 12 o clock
The olight pl-mini 2 valkyrie might be thin enough to mount to the top rail upside down and have your reflex sight still clear it.
It's 600 lumen is pretty bright but there may not be a remote pressure switch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts