Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi KTOGers?
Had my new RDB-C (Z4Mxx) out to my parents 160 Acre property for a physically distanced visit and to shoot our firearms! (That day - RDB-C, Tikka T3 light Stainless 308, Husqvarna 9.3x62 Commercial that my brothers buddy loaned him, Dad's Savage 114 Syn in 243.
Dad coined the term "space rifle" for the futuristic appearance of the OD green rifle. He was until last year hunting with a sporterized 1943 Longbranch Lee Enfield No4Mk1* so I didn't hold it against him.
I had purchased some Herters 223 Rem 55gr FMJ @ 3240 fps at our Cabela's. Cheapest I could find at .50$ CAD a bang. I have acquired some LAR-15 10 rd magazines and the 10 pinned to 5 (Canadian Law) PMAG the rifle came with. UTG back up iron sights and that's it right now. The barrel is 5.56 stamped.
135 rounds, at least 15 failure to fire due to (we think) light firing pin strikes. Some did fire after a few trips thru the rifle. It could be the ammo? I've never used Herters before in my Tikka deer rifle.
I thought I had tightened all the wee hex nuts but apparently the ones on the front of the rail came loose (which I have read here is not uncommon) Cabelas was out of blue loctite and the Canadian Tire was a zoo prior to our May long weekend so...
The UTG sights need a longer sight radius I think. But when I had it on the bench rest the rail was loose (unbeknownst to me at the time) so we shall see the next time I shoot.
Impressions of the rifle:
1. 223/556 is LOUD! Except for my brother's Mosin M-44 I think it is the loudest rifle we have in the family arsenal. Too bad suppressor's are deemed too scary for us up here.
2. Boy is it fun to shoot. I can't wait to get a decent red dot or 3 power on it. Or nicer irons.
3. Its very easy to stay on target. I found the recoil impulse to be "fairly" smooth, but the only semiautos I've shot are 10/22's and our SKS's. Compared to keeping my light Tikka on target this is fantastic.
4. I could feel the change in the action as it locked open but my 100 lb heavier brother was missing it.
5. He had a few failure to feed but I think it was related to improper mag insertion. I had no such issues but I had been practising some reloads.

All in all I like it. I'm hoping I don't have to get a new firing pin, I will do some more reading here, get some different ammo, get some feedback and advice and go from there. Feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Definitely try different ammo once you get a chance. Some owners report light primer strikes with Russian made steel case, but it's possible the ammo you picked up uses hard primers as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely try different ammo once you get a chance. Some owners report light primer strikes with Russian made steel case, but it's possible the ammo you picked up uses hard primers as well.
For sure. This ammunition is made in US, brass cased, annealed shoulder. But I will try some different stuff for sure. I do love how the rifle points and handles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think I read somewhere that some Herters 233 was made by S&B who've been known to use hard primers. Also check to see if the primers are slightly recessed in the pockets.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Look inside at the hammer and firing pin contact.
See if there is contact.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any comments on the heat build up? After a 30rd magazine mine is so hot I have to put it down. Been looking for ways other than a good pair of gloves to mitigate the heat some way.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Any comments on the heat build up? After a 30rd magazine mine is so hot I have to put it down. Been looking for ways other than a good pair of gloves to mitigate the heat some way.
Had the same issue with the stock -C foregrip especially since it encourages fingers ending up so far forward you hit the take-down pin that's directly bolted to the barrel. I can get >100 rounds without issue once I swapped to the -S/Survival foregrip, also exposes more of the barrel so it seems to cool down faster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same issue with the stock -C foregrip especially since it encourages fingers ending up so far forward you hit the take-down pin that's directly bolted to the barrel. I can get >100 rounds without issue once I swapped to the -S/Survival foregrip, also exposes more of the barrel so it seems to cool down faster.
I see, thank you for the info

·
Registered
714 Posts
I swapped to the -S/Survival foregrip, also exposes more of the barrel so it seems to cool down faster.
Is there a link to the seller? I checked the KT website and found nothing in "parts".

I also wonder how well the M-Lok fore-end works.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Kel-Tec is late to adopt the accessories sales concept. Only KT has fore grips.
You gave to contact them and see if they will sell you one.
I don't have any of the metal rails, but I have read that it heats up also.
My advise is to get a vertical grip under the heat. I like the Stark angled grip.
https://www.starkequipment.com/express-grip.html
20200527_160752.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Is there a link to the seller? I checked the KT website and found nothing in "parts".

I also wonder how well the M-Lok fore-end works.
It's $100 + S&H (so $107 in my case) a couple weeks ago from KT directly, open a support ticket with them to start the process. It's a bit pot-luck on what color(s) they'll have in stock, but they had one to match the rest of mine when I ordered it. Got it less than a week after ordering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After 135 rounds, the stock -C foregrip was very hot. I don't expect to have that problem at -20 C in winter but summer shooting will require gloves. On a side note, received my 2 Cross Mags and a few Mag Wedges to join 10 round LAR-15 pistol mags together. I went ahead and bought a Barska 1-6x32 SWAT-AR scope. Haven't been to range yet. Seems like decently bright glass for the price. Heavy though. Nice eye relief and decent eyebox. Reticle a bit thin with illum off. Might be overkill in terms of zoom, if there is such a thing. Will post some pics when back from range. I'll get the blue loctite so the rail stays tight. Rifle still feels pretty balanced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Between 30 -40 minutes. I was letting my brother and father try out the rifle. We were also shooting other firearms, checking the 100m target periodically, and moving to new firing line.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Will do prior to next range outing - anything in particular I should take note of - wear pattern, strike marks etc?
No, just look in the mag well and check for any gap. preferably with a spent shell in the pipe for head space.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I have shot the thing a few more times with some different ammo - less failure to fires compared to the Herters. But still 1 out of 10. Someone on Canadian Gun Nutz (firearms forum with a great exchange subforum) was selling Gen 3 firing pins so I bought one. Is 1.3 mm longer than my current one supposedly. Will see. I finally got that rail locked on, so the Sightmark FSR red dot has stayed zeroed. I sure hope the new fp solves the failure to fires. I've a collection of about 12 rounds that look pretty sketchy! Posted some pics of the setup in the photos only. Need more ammo for the next outing.
Quick question- anybody hunted whitetail with theirs yet? Any ammo you would recommend?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts