Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply.....mine is brand new...just took awhile for me to make some time to get to an outdoor range.......I have a Romeo5 optic on it, so I should probably take that off before sending it back to KT. I was going to clean it before sending it back, but, I was thinking that could make it more difficult for them to identify any issues with it that were due to manufacturing.....so I think I'll just leave it as is.....it shouldn't be too dirty considering I didn't fire many rounds through it.
Update on my issue - I ended up sending it to Kel-Tec. They did the following:

(1) Replaced bolt head assembly
(2) Updated firing pin with newest revision
(3) Polished feed ramps
(4) Tested, no malfunctions, with 55gr .223 Federal American Eagle, gas set at +8

I normally use 5.56 Federal, and I hope to go to the range tomorrow.

Any suggestions on gas setting for 5.56?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’d say leave it at what they set it at for at least a few mags to verify it runs. If you don’t have any issues, then decide if you want to adjust it again. They sent mine back set at +6 (stating the same ammo tested) and I haven’t changed it yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’d say leave it at what they set it at for at least a few mags to verify it runs. If you don’t have any issues, then decide if you want to adjust it again. They sent mine back set at +6 (stating the same ammo tested) and I haven’t changed it yet.
...and you used 5.56 Federal instead of the .223?

Just curious, because I thought 5.56 requires a bit more pressure.....not trying to split hairs with you, just trying to understand.....I"m new to this Kel-Tec and adjusting the gas setting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just checked the work order again. It shows 55gr .223 Federal American Eagle.

I suppose two gas setting levels represents the pressure difference, at least for our two samples specifically for KT function testing. We don’t know whether that’s intentional, a difference between tester preferences, or variance between our rifles... ymmv I guess.

Edit: I reread your post repair post. It’s the same test ammo as they indicated. In that light, the gas setting difference probably isn’t that important, unless the RDC-C and RDB-S are different enough to matter. This is a 16” barrel, so the 20.5” barrel of yours may account for the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
yall,
the whole 5.56 vs .223 thing is not anything you can say one thing is definite compared to another. the pressures are very similar. Variances in chamber cuts and bore diameters between rifles will have two different comparisons varying widely. Even between two of the same make.
You got what you got and it⁰s not going to be like another, exactly.

You can shoot at the setting KT gave you, and later, it may have to change. This isn't a set it and forget it gas. Go by the neck dings. when you get slightly dented necks and last round lock back, you're good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yall,
the whole 5.56 vs .223 thing is not anything you can say one thing is definite compared to another. the pressures are very similar. Variances in chamber cuts and bore diameters between rifles will have two different comparisons varying widely. Even between two of the same make.
You got what you got and it⁰s not going to be like another, exactly.

You can shoot at the setting KT gave you, and later, it may have to change. This isn't a set it and forget it gas. Go by the neck dings. when you get slightly dented necks and last round lock back, you're good.
Makes sense......I didn't even consider the barrel length either......I'll go with the current setting and see how that works. Seems like if I do a test case where I only put one round in the mag at a time and try that, I'll know pretty quickly....vs. going through a whole mag full. I think someone posted that somewhere else in another thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Makes sense......I didn't even consider the barrel length either......I'll go with the current setting and see how that works. Seems like if I do a test case where I only put one round in the mag at a time and try that, I'll know pretty quickly....vs. going through a whole mag full. I think someone posted that somewhere else in another thread.
Follow up to this posting I made awhile ago....when I went to the range, and fired at the setting KT gave me, there were no feed/firing/eject issues, but the bolt failed to lock back on the last round pretty consistently - I didn't change the gas setting during that outing, but next time out I'm going to tighten it a couple more clicks to see if that resolves it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts