Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a RDB-C before moving to WA state. Never was able to take it to the range since I couldn't load more than a few rounds in a magazine. Every time I rack the charging handle, slap it down from the rear position, use the bolt carrier release it fails to feed crushing the cartridge on the feed lips. This happens with factory PMC 62 grain xtac and federal 55 grain. Called and emailed keltec going to ship it back. If all else fails I'll polish the feed lips myself but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do this to a new rifle it should just work.
20200413_120544.jpg

·
Registered
345 Posts
XTAC is the only ammo my RDB-C just refuses to play well with also.

I can't even get through a 10-round clip without some kind of feed or extraction issue.

Frontier 55 grain HP Match runs like absolute butter. The single brick of 20 Frontier 68 grain BTHP Match did too, hope to try the other BTHPs once they're available again. Herter's and Winchester 55 grain both run well. Even TulAmmo 55 grain .223 when I tried a couple mags worth had no issues once I adjusted the gas.

But across 3 different ammo lots in 6 different MagPul PMags I've never managed to get 10 rounds off without XTAC ammo getting mangled in some way by the RDB.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Is there any possible correlation between the RDBs that crunch, and the RDBs that wont take magazines de-cocked?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Is there any possible correlation between the RDBs that crunch, and the RDBs that wont take magazines de-cocked?
Mine takes all mine de-cocked without issue, so doesn't appear related? They're all 10-round PMAGs mind (TL;DR: Got 5 for the price of shipping from a friend that moved to a state with no mag-size limit and had upgraded.) but I can lock a mag in with even my pinkie finger without issue.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Can't go blaming the magazine.
Any rifle should be able to feed from any STANAG pattern magazine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Oh no blame, just having nothing but poly 10-rounds means I have only the lightest of the light-weight magazines and more or less rules out 'resting the magazine on things' issues. So more a cavest on the data point: Might be half a dozen mags, but not a lot of variety.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heard back from Ericka at keltec today. Going to send a FedEx label to ship the rifle back but only after I asked for one. I'll try the ammo recommended above once I get it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently bought a RDB-C before moving to WA state. Never was able to take it to the range since I couldn't load more than a few rounds in a magazine. Every time I rack the charging handle, slap it down from the rear position, use the bolt carrier release it fails to feed crushing the cartridge on the feed lips. This happens with factory PMC 62 grain xtac and federal 55 grain. Called and emailed keltec going to ship it back. If all else fails I'll polish the feed lips myself but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do this to a new rifle it should just work. View attachment 47750
So this was the same issue I had with mine. I recently got it back. Extremely fast turnaround even during this pandemic and I live in Commiefornia, it was a total of a week. They replaced a bunch of stuff and did polish the feed ramps. It was really disappointing this was happening to begin with, especially when you spend $900 on a rifle you expect to work for that price. I have yet to go test fire myself, but I did dry cycle several full mags, not a scratch on the casings and I'm shooting same ammo as you. Hope they turn yours around quickly too and amend the issue. Those look a lot worse than my deformed casings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good news! I shot the RDB-C this weekend after the repair and it shot flawlessly. I shot brass and steel cased for the heck of it. No hiccups with either case material, both 55g and did not need to adjust the gas piston for them +10 is where the piston is set. Casings were not damaged. Kel-Tec ran 80 rounds through it and I ran 100 through it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recently bought a RDB-C before moving to WA state. Never was able to take it to the range since I couldn't load more than a few rounds in a magazine. Every time I rack the charging handle, slap it down from the rear position, use the bolt carrier release it fails to feed crushing the cartridge on the feed lips. This happens with factory PMC 62 grain xtac and federal 55 grain. Called and emailed keltec going to ship it back. If all else fails I'll polish the feed lips myself but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do this to a new rifle it should just work. View attachment 47750
I had this exact same issue with my RDB-C. Sent it in to Keltec for repair and it has been running flawless since the last time I took it to the range. FYI, I really had to slam in loaded mags with the bolt dropped before I sent it in but ever since it's been repaired, loaded magazines slide in effortlessly with the bolt dropped. Maybe these issues are correlated.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Any luck on fixing issue with KelTec yet?

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's strange but my buddies new 10.5" AR build with a bootleg carrier did the exact same thing. Fired the first round, then squished and jammed on the second. The cartridge casing looked exactly like the photos above.

There were two issues at play as we discovered. Turns out he had inadvertently set the Bootleg carrier to suppressed mode without a can on, and the rifle was severely undergassed. Secondly, the Gen 2 Pmag he was using had too much friction with the polymer feed lips. The combination of under-gassing and tight feed lips caused the squished round.

The dent in the case is from the bolt stripping the round out of the mag but because there isn't enough velocity for it to fully chamber, the round gets jammed up on one of the lower extension lugs. It's that lug that dents the side of the case.

Makes me wonder if something similar is going on with these RDBs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just sent mine in yesterday. My casings look exactly the same as the casings in the in original picture on this thread. Sounds to me like they've fixed everyone's rifle so I'm hopeful that they'll be able to fix mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello....I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd post here instead of starting a new one....I have an RDB-C that I bought new a few months ago, and finally had a chance to take it to the range about 3 weeks ago.

I'm looking for an opinion on whether to clean it really well and go back to the range and play with the gas settings based on the rounds - or send it back to KelTec for warranty repair work.

I only got about 40 rounds through it when it started doing the same thing to the rounds as shown in the photos in this thread. I tried both Federal XM193 and IMI rounds.....30 round magazines of each. The IMI rounds seem to consistently get damaged like this....not every round, but enough to make it a real pain.

The only changes I've made are to add a Lucky Irishman Rhino.......everything else is untouched.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had squished cases in my RDB-S when the gas was turned all the way down. Sent mine back to KT because of light primer strikes and locking open with rounds in the magazine.

6 day turnaround and the thing now runs like a dream. They replaced the bolt carrier assembly (which includes the firing pin), the hammer, and the ejection port assembly... basically all the metal bits in the lower.

I think if you’re having an issue, send it back to KT. If it’s second hand, you won’t be under warranty, but you’ll have a functioning firearm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had squished cases in my RDB-S when the gas was turned all the way down. Sent mine back to KT because of light primer strikes and locking open with rounds in the magazine.

6 day turnaround and the thing now runs like a dream. They replaced the bolt carrier assembly (which includes the firing pin), the hammer, and the ejection port assembly... basically all the metal bits in the lower.

I think if you’re having an issue, send it back to KT. If it’s second hand, you won’t be under warranty, but you’ll have a functioning firearm.
Thanks for the reply.....mine is brand new...just took awhile for me to make some time to get to an outdoor range.......I have a Romeo5 optic on it, so I should probably take that off before sending it back to KT. I was going to clean it before sending it back, but, I was thinking that could make it more difficult for them to identify any issues with it that were due to manufacturing.....so I think I'll just leave it as is.....it shouldn't be too dirty considering I didn't fire many rounds through it.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
I has ammo squishes OOTB also. I got through it but I also had my bolt carrier assemble replaced because the plug in the front of the tube had worked loose and ejected. I don't know if that was a contributor to the squishings or not but it didn't squish after I got a replacement. I did play with my gas a lot, working the dial from lowest gas and up to see what worked. I got most of my failures then.
Go with the case neck indicator. Adjust your gas up until you get slightly dented case necks. If you still have a problem after that, send it to KT.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I has ammo squishes OOTB also. I got through it but I also had my bolt carrier assemble replaced because the plug in the front of the tube had worked loose and ejected. I don't know if that was a contributor to the squishings or not but it didn't squish after I got a replacement. I did play with my gas a lot, working the dial from lowest gas and up to see what worked. I got most of my failures then.
Go with the case neck indicator. Adjust your gas up until you get slightly dented case necks. If you still have a problem after that, send it to KT.
Also the obvious but you WILL have problems if the gas is too low OR too high both. Find the boundaries of the gas settings for a given type of ammo, put the gas setting in the middle of that range; if you use several types of ammo I do hope there's an overlap in their ranges, otherwise you'll be corking on the knob every time you change between those ammo types.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts