RDB Bolt Stop Button- what does it do???

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by Robbo, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Robbo

Robbo Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Just received my new RDB S and trying to get familiar with it. I can't find anything in the manual beyond naming that button in the chart of the rifle. Likewise have scoured a number of YouTube videos without success.
    On a related theme, how can I hold the bolt open to inspect the chamber? Is it basically trying to look up through the magazine well?

2. WolfWings

WolfWings Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Kansas City
    When you pull the charging handle back you can tilt it 'up' to hold it back fully. Also you can push the 'bolt release' up a little with the handle back fully but it's a bit more complicated to do the motion. There's a small notch in the wall between the 'ejection chute' and 'mag well' that can be easier for some folks to look through into the chamber, but yeah, problem with most bullpups: Hard to examine the chamber without disassembly.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Robbo and dazed like this.

3. kdgrayson

kdgrayson Member

Jul 19, 2020
    New guy here, I just received my RDB-S yesterday. The bolt release button is used to release the bolt after it is held open on an empty magazine. I was confused initially with its operation also.

I am keeping the chamber flag in when it is unloaded and not in use. Seems to be the best way to visualize the chamber is empty, especially for those unfamiliar with its operation.

dazed and Robbo like this.
  4. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    For you new guys,
    When you are shooting and you get a FTF (failure to fire), first put it on safe, then remove the magazine, work the action to extract the last round and visually inspect the chamber to ensure there isn't a round in it or anywhere else in the breech.

This seems very basic but Im telling you new guys this because a surprising number of people (myself included) have had jams because we don't clear the rifle after a FTF or FTE.
    Do this, and you will avoid a lot of problems, especially during the gas adjustment stage.

RogueIV likes this.
  5. Robbo

Robbo Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Thanks for the quick responses.

WolfWings likes this.
  6. UhClem

UhClem Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Middle America
    Did someone answer his main question? I was wondering the same and if it's there I missed it.

7. Robbo

Robbo Member

Aug 6, 2020
    i'm still confounded by that button. Nothing seems to happen if I try to push it with the bolt open, closed, or whatever

8. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I think if you will separate the receiver off the lower, and actuate the buttons, you will see what they do.

9. Robbo

Robbo Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Thanks
    Might try that

10. Cj3waker

Cj3waker Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Do you know what a bolt catch on an AR15 does? This does the same thing

dazed likes this.
  11. Robbo

Robbo Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Not exactly. But I qualified on the m16 in the 70s.