Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Maybe...

But I just don't like ARs. I didn't like it then, I don't like it now. I feel that performance has always been a compromise. Length for performance.

But now, there is a real alternative. The Hellion is awesome. This rifle has everything I want and need.

Can you point out AR advantages compared to the Hellion? I am not asking this to be snide or confrontational, I really want to know your opinion and what factors you consider and why you put the AR in such high regard.
Parts availability. In a SHTF scenario, you will always find other ARs. Same goes for AKs. Either is acceptable and anyone worried about such things would be wise to have at least one or more of each in their safe. I personally find ARs to be boring, but that doesn't mean I'm going to overlook one simply because everyone seems to have one. It's the fact that everyone seems to have one that I also have one in case I need it.

· Registered
361 Posts
That appears to be one clear advantage. The idea is that you can cannibalize ARs if your SHTF AR dies. Although I don't think ARs will simply be laying around during SHTF? It will probably be in other people's hands and those that are not will be in gun safes that you would be hard pressed to get into. You will have your hands full trying to find food, water, medicine and ammo than to be worrying about how to get into somebody's AR in their gun safe. And what is stopping me from picking up an AR if my SHTF rifle dies? So, the supposed "parts availability" advantages appears to be academic and illusory.

But then again, it is no more accurate than the RDB for which I seek to replace it with. And it is long. And it is no more reliable nor durable since it also is a "civilian" rifle and although it has a military lineage, it is NOT a military rifle.

Now, the Hellion on the other hand is a military rifle. And it appears to be built like a tank and has proven itself to be reliable and durable in Iraq and Afghanistan. It truly has military street cred much more so than any AR we could possibly buy. And early indications is that it is a sub-2MOA rifle. Certainly much better than the RDB. It is a tad heavier than the RDB but then again, that might be more advantageous to bang zombies head with.
The extra weight of the Hellion is not an advantage. I've never known a soldier that wanted MORE weight to carry around. Also the Hellion has a horrible trigger. No one is making an upgraded trigger pack for it yet. Maybe someone like Timney or Geissele will like they did for the Tavor. But they don't now. And the ones for the Tavor aren't that much of an improvement.

As for having military street cred, you don't get much better than the M1 Garand, but I won't be humping mine around if the world goes to hell. Fast, reliable, light, maintainable, easy to feed - that's what you want in a EOTWAWKI or SHTF rifle, not something that looks cool in a comic book or video game.

· Registered
361 Posts
It's only about a pound heavier. Not that much. And the extra weight is justified due to its more robust construction. You can bang zombie's heads all day long, which you can't probably do with the RDB. LOL

Regarding the trigger, we haven't really tried it and compared it with the ARs or the RDBs. So, I'll reserve judgement on that. Do you expect it to be much worse than the RDBs? I don't expect it to be. Most early reviews indicate that it is satisfactory; not the best but not that bad either. Which bullpup trigger do you consider the best? All bullpup triggers will be expected to be worse than the ARs. That's just the nature of the beast. Yes, 3rd party trigger updates are welcome and it won't be long before somebody comes up with it. In fact, I won't be surprised if somebody did before the start of the spring or summer shooting season.

Comparing an aspect of the Hellion to some random aspect of some rifle (ie Garand) is silly. You can always find something that another rifle is superior in. That is not the point. The goal is the overall package. What are those set of qualities that satisfy most of your needs and wants. The Hellion checks the most number of boxes for me. Maybe it does not for you since you have a different set of needs and wants.

And believe you me, the looks and aesthetics while important is not on the top of the list. Why? do you really have the impression that I am that naïve to make looks the primary priority for my SHTF rifle? Before looking at the BR-18 and the RDB, I was considering the Chinese QBZ-97 rifle. And that is one ugly rifle but it has Military Creds.

You may be more informed in this, so tell me which commercial ARs are "direct" adaptation of a military rifle? In other words, it is the actual military rifle with only minor changes made from its military version. The Hellion is one such rifle. Tell me which commercial, civilian ARs are like that and I'll look at it and compare.
The Hellion is two pounds heavier without an optic, than my lightest AR with an optic. Odinforever2000 has done an excellent job of answering your other AR-related questions. As far as the zombie stuff, like I said in the other thread, it's not real. If you want to be taken seriously, leave the fantasy talk out of the discussion.

· Registered
361 Posts
I will no longer respond to any insult in this thread. Please continue insulting me on the new thread I created for that purpose.
Nothing I said was an insult, just merely an observation and friendly advice. If I said that you were naive and immature for your zombie talk or because you just threw a tantrum about a tantrum that didn't exist, that could be considered an insult. But don't worry, you won't hear from me on this topic again, or any other for that matter, because you clearly can't have a civil conversation.

· Registered
361 Posts
I did not know this was an 80s game..Cant really comment on Biological warefare..If it happens..its bad ju ju for all of us.
Speaking of steel cased..I wonder if Tula and the like are going to produce a 6.8 variant ammo in steel case..
Also..did you know there is an "Ignore" option in these forums? Fascinating.
The first video game I ever played was Pong back in 1978.
I was hoping for years that Tula or someone would produce cheap steel 6.8 SPC, but that has never come to fruition. I love my Mini Ranch rifle in 6.8, but it's expensive to feed. Thankfully I used to buy a case of brass here and there over the years, so I'm well stocked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts