Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sort of thread has been made on other forums for the RDB, but since this forum is specially for RDB owners, I thought I would ask here.

There are only two things I think can be improved with the RDB.

-One is the Gas Adjust. I feel like the adjust should be marked with stamped numbers so that one can see which setting one is on. Each click should be more distinct. And there should be a way to lock each setting in place to avoid accidentally moving it.

-Second is the Bolt release. It should be actuated from below rather than from above. When inserting a fresh mag, one's hand is going to move upwards towards the bolt release. Redesigning the bolt release in this way would make for more fluid, quick and intuitive speed reloads. I feel like this is a big deal. At the very least, make it so that the angle of pressing is completely horizontal directionally, so that you can bump it with the broad heel of your palm, much like the AR.

These are imo, the most important and critical changes that need to be made. I for one would pay good money if someone could produce quality components of these two needs. *Cough GHW, cough*
Agree-disagree?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that was meant more as flavoring to my post merely to accentuate how much I really want to see those mods. This thread is an idea thread for ideas for mods. And to see if anyone concurs with my idea.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
All great ideas.
But the bolt release thing, IDK. its where it is because it directly acts on the hold open armature. Anything else would require more linkage. Not a lot of room for much else.
My big soap box issue is the mag catch release method.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand. What do you mean it would require more linkage? Right now the bolt release needs to be pressed downwards. Why can't they flip it so that it can be pressed upwards?

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Why can't they flip it so that it can be pressed upwards?
I would have to mentally design a new mechanism to answer that.
No interest. Sorry. Im having worse issues with my RDB than the bolt catch.

I do think enlarging the existing buttons into paddle size levers is a good step. My RDB bolt release is very firm and requires several pounds of force to release. It has become a two finger operation for me. I think more surface area on the button would help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that you don't have the time to explain why reversing the bolt release so that it can be affected from below, but without said explanation, I must maintain my insistence regarding this issue, as this is my primary request for an RDB mod. No offense. I do appreciate your situation, but this mod is critical for me.

As for the idea for increasing the surface area of the existing bolt release to that of a paddle so it can be more quickly slapped or "heel of the palm bumped" much like an AR. I think that's a fantastic idea! I will certainly incorporate that to my criteria for the modification of the bolt release!

I'm really hoping some people come up with some quality mods in this regard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Another mod idea I have (although it's not a critical one, more one of personal preference) is to have permanent rail incorporated folding BUIS, much like those on the Tavor. With the Tavor, the buis folds down into, and becomes a part of the picatinny rail. I would love to see this done for the RDB. It would be possible if someone either machined a replication of this system for the RDB, or if someone took an existing rail from a Tavor, and cut it down for size for the RDB. I think this is more of a pipe-dream, but I would love for this to happen. The RDB is imo, the best semi-auto 5.56 rifle on the market today. It deserves every bit of optimization as much as possible.

Other potential modifications that I have heard about and think are good ideas, is a redesigned handguard that has Mlok attachments (which is in Keltec's pipeline), but also free floated (would be nice!).

One mod I think would be a fantastic idea is a trigger guard mounted bipod. Many people have noted that the barrel is fairly thin and is subject to shifts in POI when pressure is placed on underside of the handguard. Much criticism has been made of Youtube videos where the speaker shoots the RDB from the traditional setup where one rests the handguard on a rest, given that this method creates inconsistencies in accuracy. A bipod that can clamp onto the trigger guard (clamp onto the forward bend of the trigger guard) would eliminate this problem. It could project directly below the trigger guard, or be cantilevered forward for a more traditional fulcrum point. This would be an incredible boon to the RDB system!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Keltec says they have no timeline to make a replacement handguard... so I am.

M-Lok with QD mounts on the back.

There's no real way to free float it. Nothing to attach to the receiver area to secure it. We have tried to make two reinforcement pieces front and rear in an attempt to anchor the handguard better for bipod-mounted shooting to eliminate the POI shift, but we'll have to actually try to shoot it and see if it still has a problem.

Prototype has been 3-D printed in Kevlar-reinforced ABS and is on its way to us. Might take a look at the bolt release next, but I'm more of a charging handle after new mag in kind of guy so it's lower on my list of wants and needs. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is more interesting. Do you have a physical need, or a muscle memory pattern you don't want to un-learn?
It's a simple matter of ergonomics and speed. When conducting a speed reload, one typically wants to drop the empty mag and insert a fresh mag as fast as possible. Once the fresh mag is locked in place, one would typically hit the bolt release to load the next round. All of these movements would be done rapidly and fluidly in order to get back into the fight as soon as possible. As I mentioned before, repositioning one's hand above the bolt release in order to drop it takes considerably more time that bumping it from below, or even the side (like an AR15). With the RDB in its current form, I need to reposition my hand above the bolt release and apply firm downward pressure with my thumb. While I can typically do this quickly enough, much less can go wrong when one can slap a paddle (AR15 style) with the heel of the hand, and get back to work.

The ability to quickly and fluidly reload a weapon consistently under pressure is a requirement for any weapon that might be used for self-defense or in any other serious situation.

The RDB's current bolt release is counter-intuitive and counter to natural human ergonomics, and one of the few characteristics that is not impressively well designed.

This is why this upgrade is a top priority to me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keltec says they have no timeline to make a replacement handguard... so I am.

M-Lok with QD mounts on the back.

There's no real way to free float it. Nothing to attach to the receiver area to secure it. We have tried to make two reinforcement pieces front and rear in an attempt to anchor the handguard better for bipod-mounted shooting to eliminate the POI shift, but we'll have to actually try to shoot it and see if it still has a problem.

Prototype has been 3-D printed in Kevlar-reinforced ABS and is on its way to us. Might take a look at the bolt release next, but I'm more of a charging handle after new mag in kind of guy so it's lower on my list of wants and needs. :)

Aww, cmon! I highly encourage the bolt release lol!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The bolt release is something I'm thinking of, but it's down the road. I don't like to load myself up with design changes. Maybe near Halloween.

I'm thinking of something similar to the bolt release bar like the have on an AR. It would require a mount to the side of the rifle, a spring, and the lever itself. That would be the only way to pull down with any kind of leverage. The release is hard as crap. Something I'll have to tinker with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to ask frostburg, do you understand how the bolt release interacts with the bolt internally?

Asking for an upward moving release isnt nearly as simple as you think. The very nature of the release/bolt engagement requires the bar that holds the bolt to move down to allow the bolt to release. I dont think you'll ever see an upward moving release, based on the fact it gives no real benefit. It may be slow for you but many are very fast releasing the bolt on speed reloads. An upward movement would be very complicated and wouldnt even net a tenth of a second on reload times of a properly practiced shooter. (seat mag, thumb engages release, reload done)

Improved mag release is a whole nother story. A fundimental design change in magazine release could net a huge gain in relaod times. Im brainstorming ideas now but havent come up with anything worth investing my time into, YET. It is definitely a solvable issue, just a matter of time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only problem I've seen with the bolt release is how difficult it is to operate. I've notice a gradual improvement in ease of use the more I shoot it so I'm guessing it will only continue to get better the more it breaks in or whatever. When the gun was new, I had to position it where I could get a fair amount of force to get it to operate whereas now not so much. Ultimately the location, linkage, operation, etc are much different from anything else I've used.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, you will see an upward-moving bolt release.
I agree, i just dont think there will be a big market for it. With the difficulty of removing the stock bolt release and the minimal gain, im not sure how many would buy.

Now a push button or slap type release, with a big surface, i see getting popular. People love their AR type releases, and i think it would be pretty easy to design.

I just got my RDB last weekend, so im behind the pack on R&D but when i get some time i plan on dibing into this badboy! A freefloat handgaurd is ontop of my list, as well as a 300blk conversion..... with the adjustable block 300blk should be simple as a barrel change.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.