Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

RDB - 300 AAC Blackout barrel and other accessories.

23K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  IamScotticus 
#1 · (Edited)
I just recently bought my RDB and I'm loving it. It's a fun shooter, and it's been reliable for me after a few hundred rounds. While the 5.56 round is great and I don't mind shooting it, I think it would be awesome to have the option to swap out the barrel and be able to shoot a larger slug, such as the 300 AAC Blackout. I'm thinking about using my RDB in different roles, and a Blackout round would make a great home defense and hunting round.

I'm thinking it would be awesome if the whole barrel assembly group, you know with the upper rail and gas system, could be bought and swapped out in different calibers and lengths. If the whole assembly could be swapped, I wouldn't have to worry about re-zeroing my scope, I'd just have a scope one each assembly.

Also are we going to see accessories for the RDB anytime soon? I'd love to be able to change out the hand guard so I could add extra rails. I heard talk of a brass catcher attachment, yes please!

Please Kel-Tec, I'm loving this gun and I want to throw more money at you!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
From another thread:
...If KT could make the RDB work a 30-cal round, it would have been available from day-1 instead of the .223 . Even the 7.62x39 (which is certainly common:rolleyes:) would have been a better choice since the market is already flooded with a gazillion choices of rifles in .223 .
The 7.62x39 is much less punishing to a rifle than the .308 round and they are not building it in that chambering either.
In short: not going to happen any time soon:(.
KT has also said that they aren't going to build any rifle in .300 blackout either.
The variations in cartridges make it a nightmare to cycle reliably. Suppressor, or not, subsonic, or not.
It's easy to build a bolt rifle in 6 chamberings, not so much with an auto.:rolleyes:
What makes auto rifles work reliably is standardized ammo.
And there aren't many left:sorry:.

#3 ·
no .300 blackout?

From another thread:

In short: not going to happen any time soon:(.
KT has also said that they aren't going to build any rifle in .300 blackout either.
The variations in cartridges make it a nightmare to cycle reliably. Suppressor, or not, subsonic, or not.
It's easy to build a bolt rifle in 6 chamberings, not so much with an auto.:rolleyes:
What makes auto rifles work reliably is standardized ammo.
And there aren't many left:sorry:.
I'll have to admit i don't know the operation of the RDB and why it would have trouble with the range of .300 blackout loads. Putting a properly ported barrel on an stock AR platform seems to work fine with 120, 147, and 220 subsonic on my ARs both with A2 and M4 buffer tubes.
Is there something about the RDB that makes it more ammo sensitive than an AR?

#4 ·
I'll have to admit i don't know the operation of the RDB and why it would have trouble with the range of .300 blackout loads. Putting a properly ported barrel on an stock AR platform seems to work fine with 120, 147, and 220 subsonic on my ARs both with A2 and M4 buffer tubes.
Is there something about the RDB that makes it more ammo sensitive than an AR?
Umm, lack of a buffer tube? Little tolerance for over-travel? Much greater reciprocating mass, just to name a few...
It is not an AR.
As stated, if they could make it work, it would be available in anything but .223 .

#5 · (Edited)
Umm, lack of a buffer tube? Little tolerance for over-travel? Much greater reciprocating mass, just to name a few...
It is not an AR.
As stated, if they could make it work, it would be available in anything but .223 .
I'm not sure these would be actual problems. I don't see how having no buffer tube is an issue, the RDB has a long recoil spring instead for the same purpose.

Much greater reciprocating mass? The Blackout uses the same case, just shaved down a bit in length. The mass difference would probably be negligible during extraction. And I also don't see the Blackout creating much more friction picking up a new round since both calibers have about the same overall length.

Over-travel also will not be an issue since as I said both the 300 Blackout and the 5.56 are about the same overall length. Heck it's the same cartridge, the Blackout case is just a cut down 5.56 case with a longer slug making them almost the same length. The magazines are even interchangable.

The only way to know if 300 Blackout would run properly in an RDB would be to try it out. It wouldn't be to hard, KT would only have to mill out a barrel to .308. That's the beauty of Blackout, no other modifications are needed besides a new barrel. The original bolt carrier and extractor would be used since the Blackout round is just a shorter 5.56 case.

I have a feeling the RDB would probably handle it well with some gas adjustment. It would be awesome if they at least tried. Accessories and mods to the RDB are lacking right now, adding some would be a shot in the arm for the platform

#6 · (Edited)
Much greater reciprocating mass? The Blackout uses the same case, just shaved down a bit in length. The mass difference would probably be negligible during extraction. And I also don't see the Blackout creating much more friction picking up a new round since both calibers have about the same overall length.

Over-travel also will not be an issue since as I said both the 300 Blackout and the 5.56 are about the same overall length. Heck it's the same cartridge, the Blackout case is just a cut down 5.56 case with a longer slug making them almost the same length. The magazines are even interchangable.
Well, they do hint at it in the owners manual:rolleyes::
RDB Manual said:
The RDB™ is a semi-automatic, magazine fed rifle for 5.56NATO/.223REM or other
intermediate cartridges
(they also list specs for a 20" barrel variant which has yet to be seen in the wild:rolleyes:)
Maybe (hopefully) they will make a liar out of me:).

By reciprocating mass I was referring to the bolt carrier being heavier than an AR and the fact that it has to travel past the magazine the length of a cartridge case to eject.

By tolerance for overtravel, if the bolt were to try to overtravel, it strikes the rear and passes the impact into the shooter's shoulder.
If overgassed, the AR just compresses the buffer spring in the buffer tube a little more before changing direction.
The gas action on the RDB bolt carrier must be closely controlled so it travels far enough, but not too far.

Machine

That's where variations in ammo would affect it much more than an AR.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm not sure these would be actual problems. I don't see how having no buffer tube is an issue, the RDB has a long recoil spring instead for the same purpose.

The only way to know if 300 Blackout would run properly in an RDB would be to try it out. It wouldn't be to hard, KT would only have to mill out a barrel to .308. That's the beauty of Blackout, no other modifications are needed besides a new barrel. The original bolt carrier and extractor would be used since the Blackout round is just a shorter 5.56 case.

I have a feeling the RDB would probably handle it well with some gas adjustment. It would be awesome if they at least tried. Accessories and mods to the RDB are lacking right now, adding some would be a shot in the arm for the platform
Sounds more like what you're looking for is the MDR but you're a bit SOL there given the delays, delays, and more delays and given those who are waiting you're going to be waiting even more as I'm pretty sure what first run pre-orders are (for lack of a better term) available are spoken for. So might be able to get what you're after but you're going to be waiting probably a minimum of six months right now.

Though all that said and to be fair I won't profess to be an expert on this but my ego likes to think i know enough to be dangerous.

#8 · (Edited)
Sounds more like what you're looking for is the MDR but you're a bit SOL there given the delays, delays, and more delays and given those who are waiting you're going to be waiting even more as I'm pretty sure what first run pre-orders are (for lack of a better term) available are spoken for. So might be able to get what you're after but you're going to be waiting probably a minimum of six months right now.

Though all that said and to be fair I won't profess to be an expert on this but my ego likes to think i know enough to be dangerous.
I like a lot about the MDR, but it's really telling that there isn't any recent press or any YouTube videos on it. I'm going to wait for reviews before I even consider buying an MDR.

IWI unveiled a 300 Blackout Tavor. IWI's Tavor and X-95 are in my opinion the premiere bullpups. I only went with the RDB over the Tavor because it offered a better price for not much less of a rifle. I may still get one in the future, considering it's much more popular and gets way better support than Kel-Tec's RDB, hopefully that changes.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do for a larger caliber yet. I may just settle for a 6.5 Grendel RDB conversion when they're available.

#10 ·

I am like you.. I don’t think it would be a problem at all... After I got the magazine release issue addressed... I am carrying mine daily in my patrol car and feeling confident... have used it on multiple assignments and it has never failed to deliver... Now everyone at my department is wanting me to get them and issue them instead of ARs....

#17 ·
I have to agree with concerns about the RDB in real-life danger. Don't want to offend anyone on this issue but my RDB had to go back to KT twice to fix multi-tapping issues AND more importantly, slam-firing. In the year +process I had my rifle apart a few times trying to figure out what was wrong. My RDB runs fine now but my concern is the complexity and fragility of the fire control group. I've had my hands inside many firearms from pre WW2 to brand new current production stuff and I simply don't trust the FCG in the RDB. Don't misunderstand I just live that little gun, cool as the dickens, great ergonomics etc, etc. BUT AK47 it is NOT! I think if I reslly wanted something in 300AAC to use in life threatening situations and did not wsnt an AR, consider the ever faithful Mini 14 in that chamber. I know they're not tac drivers, but neither are any of us in those heart pounding for real shooting situations. That old Mini is darn hard to beat. On a different subject; the business of persuading an RDB to run safely and reliably can be helped a whole lot be making the gas valve appropriately adjustable. I have had lots of good results getting semi auto rifles to

#19 ·
You get it JM. Too many real and potential failures.
Ah, the Mini! I could get into that gun but I would want AR magazines.
Might as well throw in the M1 Carbine.
Too bad The Universals can't take rails. We have one in the fam Id like to upgrade.

#22 ·
Just turned 68 years old. Can not wait for Kel Tec, bid and bought an IWI x95 green Tavor for $1798.00 off Gunbroker. Purchased an ATN Thor LT 4x8, and ordered the 300 Blackout conversion from IWI. Gun will be here Monday, already have the scope, just have not decided untill now what to mount it on, and the conversion will be here on the 22nd. One expensive birthday present but you only live once. Now if I can still manage to night hunt hogs. Also updated my Atn X-SIGHT II 5x20 IR to a ATN IR850 SUPER NOVA to extend my range out to 300 yards. Hofefully the hunt will be on soon.

#28 ·
I was waiting for a 300BLK conversion for a bullpup (long story that I won't go into again), gave up, and built a SBR from top drawer components during the pandemic and anarchist temper tantrums.

A bullpup in 300BLK still interests me. It does me good to see yours. But I'm obstinate enough to not throw any more $ at the company who should have sent my barrel w/o playing favorites. I have my 300BLK but I still like the idea of a bullpup 300BLK.

If you can, I'd like to know how you like it after you get enough rounds through it for a solid opinion.

#29 ·
So for I have shot 200 Sig 220gr subsonic with no problem. Got some Underwood 194rg subsonic Maximum Expansion I am going to try next. Other than that I have a mixture of S&B, Remington 220 gr. and possibly will do some reloading. Everthing is running smooth and good trigger pull. Just do not want to waste ammo at this time. Had alittle problem with sighting in the ATN Thor LT 4x8 so I am going to mount it on a 5lb Ar15 I built and try it again. I can not go wrong with the Vortex Strike Eagle 4x8 I am using now. Fantastic scope.

#31 ·
Just speculating, Kel Tec probably wont out of liability reasons. We see what happened with the KSG, through no fault of kel tec, people were stupid and got themselves hurt. 300blk is asking for someone to put the wrong magazine in the gun and cause the mother of all bore obstructions, and that just does not seem to be the kind of liability kel tec would like to expose themselves to given their largely un-earned poor reputation.

Grendel I was expecting them to come out with, but it doesnt seem as if they are, largely, I think, because the market for that isnt all that huge and there is a drought of really good reliable high/standard capacity (whichever term suits you) magazines.

#33 ·
Surprise more are not in this market place, with a 300 Blackout bullpup.
With the ATF outlawing ar pistols with a brace (05/31/23) there will be a market. I will miss my 300 Blackout AR pistol with flash-lite ready for use, if needed in my bedroom at night.
"Never registor your guns, unless you want them to come get them."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.