range trip #4

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rdemilt, Oct 7, 2010.

1. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Yesterday I went to the range, Trip #4, so I was nearing the end of the break in period  :) I purchased my range ammo out front and went to the back for some fun. After firing 24 rounds with 10 FTF's I went back out front and spoke to the counter guy who is always very nice. I told him the situation and he threw me a new box of ammo ( different brand ). he told me that the overseas brand ammo use boxer primers ( whatever that means) and they tend not to work well in the p3at keltec. So back to shooting I went with different ammo, 50 more rounds and no FTF's. It could be my imagination but it really seems like everything is working better and smoother now with about 250 rounds thru the gun. I always do a good cleaning after each trip but this prior time I greased the rails and hammer face with a thin coat of white lube beacuse I wanted to see how much dirt is really accumulating and it was always difficult with dark color grease.

Oh -  the first ammo I was using was Prvi Partizan Ammunition sold as PPU
           and the second ammo was Federal American Eagle

Thats my story,
    Rick

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I'm not surprised at your P3AT's problems with the Prvi Partizan can be somewhat variable, most of the time its great, and other times it can be bad. Prvi Partizan used to be a member of C.I.P. SAAMI's counterpart in Europe and in the 90's C.I.P. withdrew their certifcation. I don't know what they are doing to proof their loads these days.

C.I.P. standards though really only looks at pressure and bullet size, whereas SAAMI also is also concerned more with case sizes too. That being said US ammo tends to be loaded lighter than C.I.P. standard ammo. For my P3AT I'm still trying out differnt brands to see what it prefers.

Best Wishes: :)

3. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Just another gunshop/gunrange idiot. Most of the overseas places (but not all) use Berdan primers. In the U.S. it's just about exclusively Boxer primers. The major difference is two flash holes versus one for Boxer primers.

Anyway, it was the offbrand ammo.

4. jerryg22

jerryg22 New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    They call it PPU for a reason. ;D