Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I got to fire a PF9 and P3AT - our first time shooting the P3AT and her first time shooting ANY handgun. It was a blast.

We'd narrowed down to those two but couldn't decide which one we're going to get, so the chance to shoot them both was fantastic!

My wife shot the P3AT first and thought "This doesn't kick too bad!" I'd shot the PF9 before and told her I really liked it, so she figured it would be easier to shoot. When she went from the P3AT to the PF9 that sucker kicked a lot more. She hollered "Oh crap!" and laughed out loud. It was a good, fun time.

I was concerned that the lack of 'real' sites on the P3AT would be a problem, but the very brief outing we had gave me some assurance that we should be able to get proficient with it. We'll probably go the P3AT route - smaller, lighter; though the ammo is going to be harder to find (cringe). That is a fun gun - they both are!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think it is great that you got to shoot both guns. I wouldn't rule the PF9 out based on felt recoil. Felt recoil can be reduced by applying grip pads and grip sleeve; finger mag. extension might also help some. If you ever had to shoot the gun in SD or HD situation, God forbid, you're not likely to remember feeling any recoil. The sound of the shots might not even register. This being said the P3AT would in my opinion make a fine SD gun so long as you accepted its limitations (.380, sights, sight radius, etc.).

Take care...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BillK said:
I think it is great that you got to shoot both guns. I wouldn't rule the PF9 out based on felt recoil. Felt recoil can be reduced by applying grip pads and grip sleeve; finger mag. extension might also help some. If you ever had to shoot the gun in SD or HD situation, God forbid, you're not likely to remember feeling any recoil. The sound of the shots might not even register. This being said the P3AT would in my opinion make a fine SD gun so long as you accepted its limitations (.380,  sights, sight radius, etc.).
The P3AT has sites?? :) We thought the recoil on the P3AT was minimal - a pretty easy shooter. PF9 recoil is fun - that sucker pops - and its fun to shoot! I messed around with shooting the PF9 one-handed at a few yards and that was OK. We may have found a new hobby. Ain't cheap but beats golf!

I have a couple of P3AT's on order now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The P3AT is my daily companion. It goes everywhere I go and I have no doubt it will perform if ever called upon.

I understand its limitations as a weaker caliber. But its size guarantees it will go with me and my family.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You'll probably end up with both the P3AT and PF-9 eventually, lol. The P3AT can't be beat for ease of carry, and as you mentioned it doesn't have the recoil of the PF-9... but the PF-9 has it beat in all other aspects. One more point to consider is cost to practice, if you are going to shoot frequently (which is recommended for anybody who carries to ensure that they are familiar with their carry gun) you will spend at least twice as much on ammunition for the .380 vs. 9mm. If/when you can find .380 ammo, it usually runs $20-35 a box for standard FMJ range fodder. 9mm is pretty easy to find and generally runs $10-15 a box, and 9mm is significantly more powerful than .380. That being said, buy the gun that you are comfortable with and go to the range often!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FullMetalJacket said:
You'll probably end up with both the P3AT and PF-9 eventually, lol.  The P3AT can't be beat for ease of carry, and as you mentioned it doesn't have the recoil of the PF-9... but the PF-9 has it beat in all other aspects.  One more point to consider is cost to practice, if you are going to shoot frequently (which is recommended for anybody who carries to ensure that they are familiar with their carry gun) you will spend at least twice as much on ammunition for the .380 vs. 9mm.  If/when you can find .380 ammo, it usually runs $20-35 a box for standard FMJ range fodder.  9mm is pretty easy to find and generally runs $10-15 a box, and 9mm is significantly more powerful than .380.  That being said, buy the gun that you are comfortable with and go to the range often!
Yep. I think the cheapest place I've found so far on 380 ammo is Cabelas. 9mm is cheaper, but honestly, for our lifestyle, we probably just wouldn't carry a PF9 - even though it is a very small 9mm. I've found the 9mm ammo I was getting at Wal-mart was in the mid 30 cents / round range for 9mm. At Cabelas it was about 10 cents more per round - maybe a bit less - for 380. It took more work to find it but I think I'll end up spending maybe 1/4 - 1/3 more for 380 than for 9mm. Not great, but manageable.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
huckle said:
My wife and I got to fire a PF9 and P3AT - our first time shooting the P3AT and her first time shooting ANY handgun. It was a blast.

We'd narrowed down to those two but couldn't decide which one we're going to get, so the chance to shoot them both was fantastic!

My wife shot the P3AT first and thought "This doesn't kick too bad!" I'd shot the PF9 before and told her I really liked it, so she figured it would be easier to shoot. When she went from the P3AT to the PF9 that sucker kicked a lot more. She hollered "Oh crap!" and laughed out loud. It was a good, fun time...
Hi,

Recoil is a relative thing my first Kel Tec is a P-32, and a P3AT, and PF-9 followed.  My advice is go with what is comfortable for you.  I'm comfortable with all three pistols, but end up carrying the P-32  the most just because it fits my life style the best, and most of the situations I'm in for CCW require a really discreet carry.  I could carry the P3AT, but I like the slide hold open on last shot, lower recoil, faster recovery time , and extra round.  Others prefer the P3AT's heavier bullet, and larger diameter, but to each his own if you are comfortable with the P3AT go for it.

Best Wishes:

·
Registered
898 Posts
FullMetalJacket said:
You'll probably end up with both the P3AT and PF-9 eventually, lol.  The P3AT can't be beat for ease of carry, and as you mentioned it doesn't have the recoil of the PF-9... but the PF-9 has it beat in all other aspects.  One more point to consider is cost to practice, if you are going to shoot frequently (which is recommended for anybody who carries to ensure that they are familiar with their carry gun) you will spend at least twice as much on ammunition for the .380 vs. 9mm.  If/when you can find .380 ammo, it usually runs $20-35 a box for standard FMJ range fodder.  9mm is pretty easy to find and generally runs $10-15 a box, and 9mm is significantly more powerful than .380.  That being said, buy the gun that you are comfortable with and go to the range often!
I hear you and agree about the value and importance of live fire practice. However, there is a lot of practice one can do without live firing that could save ones life. I highly recommend using snap caps (actually only one is necessary) and practice drawing, pointing (or aiming if your're practicing longer distances) and "firing". Practice a double tap even though the second trigger pull is on a soft trigger. Think up other drills. This practice could prove more valuable to you than any live fire drills you might practice.

Take care...  

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BillK said:
I hear you and agree about the value and importance of live fire practice. However, there is a lot of practice one can do without live firing that could save ones life. I highly recommend using snap caps (actually only one is necessary) and practice drawing, pointing (or aiming if your're practicing longer distances) and "firing". Practice a double tap even though the second trigger pull is on a soft trigger. Think up other drills. This practice could prove more valuable to you than any live fire drills you might practice.

Take care...  
Snap cap for practicing - that's a good idea. Thanks! While I wait on the P3AT's to arrive, I'm looking for ammo, carry methods and I'll get a snap cap or two.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Snap cap for practicing - that's a good idea. Thanks! While I wait on the P3AT's to arrive, I'm looking for ammo, carry methods and I'll get a snap cap or two.
If you're only carrying the P3AT I highly recommend front pocket strong side. As a backup gun there are many viable carry methods for the P3AT. Even as a backup I still carry my P3AT right front pocket though I could probably be convinced that weak side carry for BU might be more advantageous.

Take care...  

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
BillK said:
If you're only carrying the P3AT I highly recommend front pocket strong side. As a backup gun there are many viable carry methods for the P3AT. Even as a backup I still carry my P3AT right front pocket though I could probably be convinced that weak side carry for BU might be more advantageous.

Take care...  
Ah, the spice of life. Not to gainsay BillK, but I carry my p3 everywhere in my BACK strongside pocket. When I got larger carry guns I still put the little guy back there, because, well, why not? I like the back pocket because I can get to it while sitting down (like driving). I keep it strong side, but the spare mag goes front weak side. Just remember to keep it in a holster even when it is in your pocket. The covered trigger is an intrigal part of the safty system on this gun.
Shoot, clean, lube, repeat...

Lop

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lop said:
[quote author=BillK link=1272889855/0#9 date=1273493507]

Take care...  
Ah, the spice of life. Not to gainsay BillK, but I carry my p3 everywhere in my BACK strongside pocket. When I got larger carry guns I still put the little guy back there, because, well, why not? I like the back pocket because I can get to it while sitting down (like driving). I keep it strong side, but the spare mag goes front weak side. Just remember to keep it in a holster even when it is in your pocket. The covered trigger is an intrigal part of the safty system on this gun.

Lop[/quote]

What holster do you use?

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
huckle said:
[

Lop
What holster do you use? [/quote]

I'm cheap, I make my own if it is an in-the pocket kind.

I put the spacer in so that it would print like a wallet. I made it open at the bottom to keep it small. I'd made one before that was closed at the bottom and it pushed the handle up out of my jeans pockets. the holster is actually smaller than the gun. It lives in the pocket so who cares what it looks like? Oh, BTW, I stole the lace from an old pair of wingtips. Did I say I was cheap?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ref: What holster... ?

I've now used the Desantis Nemesis for years but think there are as good if not better holsters available for the P3AT.

I really like what lop above has made and have considered doing something like it but in Kydex. I would design my holster to allow me to push it off using my middle finger. I do this with the Nemesis to insure that the gun comes out and the holster stays behind.

Take care...

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
lop said:
[quote author=BillK link=1272889855/0#9 date=1273493507]

Take care...  

Lop[/quote]

And just for another option...

I don't often carry the P3AT as primary but when I do I usually like to carry it strong side, OWB in a Fobus holster.  If it's going to be my one and only, I don't want it in my pocket where it could be slow to get to - especially when sitting down, etc.  Some folks don't see the point in carrying such a small pistol in an OWB holster but, for me, the small size means that even under a t-shirt it is nearly as invisible when carried that way as when carried in a pocket holster.

Usually when I carry the P3AT, though, it is my BUG and carried in my weak (left) side front pocket.  My last choice is to carry it strong side front pocket as primary - but I find I do that quite a bit when the weather is really warm.  Truthfully, my perceived threat level is generally pretty low and it is just so darned convenient to carry that way, still be armed but not have to make as many wardrobe concessions.

When I'm carrying it in a pocket, the spare mag goes into the pocket holster with it.  I made the holster to be able to do that.  It might not be the best arrangement when I am carrying it in my strong side pocket but in those situations my weak side pocket holds all my other stuff so I don't have room in there for a spare mag.  The holster can be seen in this pic (this picture was actually one of a few that I did to demonstrate for someone on another forum how much it is possible to carry while concealing a full-sized revolver and P3AT as BUG while wearing shorts, a tank top and an unbuttoned 'Hawaiian' type shirt as a cover garment - that's why the other stuff is in the pic. I don't often carry a full-sized revolver (usually either a snubbie or my P11 as primary) but used that for the demonstration because a full-sized wheel gun is the person in question's best carry option at the time:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ref: What holster... ?

If worn as a backup I have a fobus paddle at 5 oclock.

I don't use a holster for concealed carry. I have a left-side belt clip and keep the P3AT in my strong side cargo pocket (short and long pants), held in by a special loop of webbing sewn into all of my cargo pants. Belt clip slides into webbing loop for proper retention and orientation. Easy access standing or sitting, not visible at all, great for warm climate and light garments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts