Range report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Walkers, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Walkers

Walkers New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Well took it to the range today (new gun) and had a blast. Ran 40 rounds of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ through it.
    Not a single misfire or FTF, and most to my pleasant surprise it was a breeze to shoot. The internet folks (not on this forum) who complain about this gun hurting their hands...I don't have a clue what they are talking about.

The sights are not the greatest but grouped shots at 7yards nicely.

All in all I am VERY pleased with this little gun and can't wait to get back to the range.

2. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Great to hear. You always hear about the bad ones so it is nice to hear about the good ones too. Mine was great out of the box. The only hickup it ever had was when my 100# soaking wet niece was fireing it and I'm sure she limp wristed it. It is not my first choice to go out with to make noise but it is always with me and I trust it to do what it should if I ever need it. Put a couple hundred rounds through it to break it in if you can find ammo and enjoy it. Remember a differant brand of ammo may have differant results. Always shoot enough of your carry ammo to make sure it is as reliable in your gun.

3. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Welcome and congrats on finding a P3AT and on finding ammo for it!!!

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Clean, Lube, shoot. Clean, lube... ;)

5. markboss

markboss New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I have two P3AT's, and a friend has one, all have been perfect since day one....
    Sounds like another happy K-T owner....

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Good for you!

My first P3AT (J2Rxx) gave me problems which actually was good because it led me to this site; info here helped me get it working reliably. My second (JPMxx) has been without problems.

Take care...

7. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Glad to hear of your great experience. Thanks for sharing your positive experience.

2 of the most maligned brands in weaponry are Hi Point and Kel Tec. In my experience, most of the naysayers are folks who haven't owned, or even fired the guns, or those who weren't used to the unique charactor of the weapon, and didn't give it a chance. That's why blogs like this are important, so that valid critiques brom both sides can be expressed, and commented on.
    Thanks again for a POSITIVE review.

8. roll_tide_daniel

roll_tide_daniel New Member

May 25, 2009
    I couldn't agree more with you! These little guns are great. After putting the pads from KTaddons onto mine along with a Hogue grip, it is really not a bad gun for me to shoot at the range. I always tell my friends that Kel-Tec's are great little guns, but they are definitely for people that like to tinker with guns! I like to tinker, so they are perfect for me!

9. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I can't relate...I have never "tinkered" with either of my KT's. I clean them after firing, field stripping them after 3 or 4 trips to the range for more thorough cleaning. I have never filed, tweaked, sanded, buffed, or modified them internally. I did disassemble my P3 to send the slide to get plated. I must have gotten 2 of the good ones...lol
    tr

10. roll_tide_daniel

roll_tide_daniel New Member

May 25, 2009
    I think part of why mine needed the tinkering was due to the fact that I have a 1 Gen P-3, and an early model PF-9 as well. I must say I was not all that well informed when buying them, and didn't know the difference between Gen1 & 2. On the other hand though, since getting these I have begun dong a F&B on all my new firearms. It gives me alot more confidence in taking them out for the first time, and it also allows me to familiarize myself very thoroughly with them.

11. chiefjason

chiefjason New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Put a couple of clips worth through mine the other day. They are fun to shoot. Yeah the sites are not much but the gun seems to point well for it's size. So close in the sites are almost irrelevant. Now to find more ammo! ;D

12. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Jason, Welcome to KTOG. They ARE fun to shoot. Enjoy your new little friend.
    tr

13. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    Welcome and a little bit of bright paint on them sights make them just a bit better to see. All though these are point and shoot guns we all still like to use the sights at the range

14. frank

frank New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    [​IMG]
    ;)

Everyone needs a friendly reminder every now and again...

15. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    When your eyes are closed, the sights are TOTALLY irrelevant!
    tr