Range report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, Aug 28, 2009.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Got my new p3at today and went straight from the gun store to the range - no fluff, no buff.  With my son's help put 100 rounds through it: 7 Gold Dots, 43 S&B and 50 Atlanta Arms.  Had 4 jams in the first 4 mags - all failures to feed, no fte's or light strikes.  1 feed failure was with the gold dot (I limp wristed on that one).  The other 3 were S&B.  Didn't have a single problem after that even throught the 50 rnd box of dirty AA.  Smileys were present but were much much lighter than some I've seen.  To say I'm pleased would be an understatement.  I found the p3at much more pleasant to shoot than my P-11 although the sights suck by comparison.  The lighter trigger pull made a huge difference and I was able to fire many more rounds than with the P-11 before hand fatigue set in.  Took the gun home and cleaned it.  The feed ramp came from the factory a little more polished than my P-11 but for good measure I buffed it to a glass finish with 1000 grit sandpaper.  Using somewhat rougher emory cloth rapped around a screwdriver, I took a smidgent off the bottom of the feed ramp to prevent the smileys.  They were barely stamping so that should be enough.
    All in all I'd say it was a great day and a great purchase.  Can't wait to get back to the range. :) :)

2. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Nice Report,

I found with mine, as long as I keep it clean and lubed, it will shoot just about every thing I feed it.

Have fun breaking it in ;)

3. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Have fun breaking it in ;)[/quote]

Thanks.  I will, especially since .380 ammo's gotten much easier to find.

4. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I took my new P 3AT out to the range for the first time last week. I too am very pleased. For a small handgun, I find it very pleasant to shoot. The trigger pull is not an issue and its very accurate. It ate up 100 rounds of Fiocchi 95 gr. without an issue. No feed or eject problems at all. This is my first Kel Tec and now I'm looking at the P11 and PF9.

5. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    VectorFL, I don't have the PF9 but do have the P11.  My p11 has been very dependable 500+ rounds.  It's not as pleasant to shoot as the p3at if you have tired hands like mine.  Growing up on revolvers the p11 trigger doesn't effect shootability for me but I can't put many rounds through at a time without shaky from fatigue.
    I find the extreme ejection of the p3at almost comical.  You could almost his airplanes with the shell casings. LOL.
    How's that Fiocchi feel? I've read good things about it and understand it's a tad hot.

6. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    gordon11, Fiocchi feels fine, shoots well. Since this is my first 380 and the fiocchi is the first ammo I ran through it, I have nothing to compare it to. All in all, 100 rounds through the gun with no issues. Slight kick, but very comfortable for a small gun. I really like it.
    I got my Glock 19 up for sale. Once that sells, I will be looking at a PF9 or P11. I'll decide once I'm at the gun shop and can play with both of them. The Glock is way too big to conceal, which why I want a Kel Tec 9mm. The 380 is nice, but I'd much rather carry a 9mm

7. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Hope you can find a PF9 I have been looking for one for about 2 months, then came across a new P11 with extra mag and a box of 50 fmj for $284 so I brought it home so my P3AT could have a big brother. Gonna take some getting use to the trigger pull but really like the P11

8. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I went with a PF9, but to be honest I have been so impressed with Keltec's products and customer service, that if I found a good deal on a P11 I would be hard pressed not to snap it up just because.

Heck, a Sub2000 in 9mm is most likely in my very near future...

9. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    i've been in the market for a g17 or g19 based one for about 6 months now ... seems pretty much impossible to find one unless you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars over msrp... :(

<edit> just checked gun broker... seems they've come down quite a lot over the past few weeks! maybe its the obama scare finally wearing off :) hmmm.... </edit>