Range Report!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by goprepared78, Apr 11, 2010.

1. goprepared78

goprepared78 Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Well I took her out for a spin for the first time today! The lil p3at did a great job. WWB, Remington UMC and speer gold dots. Only issue I had was the first round in the mags on the gold dots, it seemed I had to slingshot the slide to get the first round to feed. Perhaps I was trying to rack to "gently". Otherwise, no ftf/fte, everything was great. Accuracy was acceptable at about 8 yards, paper plate sized groupings... remember this is my first time firing any handgun. So I'm working on my slow smooth trigger pulls. Also trying the staging of the trigger to round out my training and familiarity of the firearm.

I installed a hogue handall jr last night and sanded all the rough edges with 600 grit. I put about 40 rounds through. I was expecting much worse treatment of my hand. I think the sanding and the hogue made a big difference. That along with the fluff and buff made the morning a reliable headacheless outing. I will be putting more rounds through it very soon. Pics with the hogue to follow tonight.

Any advice on the slingshotting of the gold dots? Functionality is fine, but just curious if others experienced that on their first fed round of gold dots. The error may be on my side, the ball just seems to require less rack snap. I think I've read you actually need to be aggressive in racking to properly chamber a round. Yea... its me, time to get rough with her! Ooo baby, now only if I could talk my gf into the same stuff.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It is not uncommon or abnormal for JHP rounds to be a bit tricker to load than FMJ. Don't be shy about pulling back the slide and letting her rip. Even if you have to bump the slide after racking when loading the intial round it matters not, so long as it feeds well upon firing. It is hard to replicate the action of the slide under fire. Usually, this improves with more rounds fired and also varies depending upon the ammo being used. The profile of some JHP feeds better than others.

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

It's not a uncommon minor break-in issue, and a few hundred rounds shot through your P3AT should solve the problem.  You could take a 5/16th's round dowel and 400 to 600 grit sand paper or a Dremmel w/jeweler's rouge & felt polishing tip can help you polish the ramp and that would probably solve the problem too.  

Best Wishes

4. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    What he said!

ALL of my semi-auto's have feed ramps that look like mirrors-thanks to my trusty Dremel tool. They'll all feed anything I can stuff in the mags. I know that the ramps are smooth enough when I can slowly allow the slide to go forward and the round will chamber without any pushing or fiddling with the slide. So far it's worked on my Keltecs, Browning HP, Astra A75, Sig 220, CZ clones, and a bunch of other pistols. From a visual standpoint, I polish the ramps until there is absolutely NO evidence of any toolmarks whatsoever. Sure glad I bought my Dremel tool a long time ago as this would be a PIA without it! ;)

5. goprepared78

goprepared78 Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Fluff and buff was done guys :) Feed ramp looks like a mirror! Though I wanna do it just a tad more when I get the correct sized/shape dremel tip. I think i'm just racking the slide on the soft and careful side. I'll keep everyone posted!

On another note... I think I'm bitten by the bug! Actively hunting for a full size range gun for a while now, but now I have have have to have one !

6. Emack76

Emack76 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    :exclamation Welcome :exclamation

Sounds like you have a winner. As mentioned before, breakin will help with the chambering of the first round. Also, don't baby it. I do this without thinking when I get a new firearm. Just yank it back and let'r'rip! A little lube will help with this too as I'm sure you've discovered by now.

I'd recommend a HiPoint C9 as a range gun. It's one of the best bang for the buck there is! Not to mention that 9mm is cheap (for centerfire) and plentiful, great for plinking. Then when you want to go to the next step get a HiPoint 995 Carbine. Oh yeah...

Be safe! [smiley=beer.gif]