Range Report with the 2 p3ats

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tomdickandharry, Apr 23, 2011.

1. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    In total shot about 275 rounds. First 100 rounds had 4 failure to feeds and a failure to eject. Around 150 rounds, started getting failures to extract, probably due to some pretty dirty remmington ammo. All in, did about 175 rounds. I'm going to give it a good cleaning, put 100 through it next time and if everything is good, I'll consider it broken in.

The other 380 performed flawlessly, shot a little over 100 rounds. Also shot the double tap 80gr. Gf said it looked rather hot, I didn't really notice much of a difference. How much of a noticeable difference is the hot stuff usually compared to the range ammo. Also put a few gold dots I had lying around through, and they didn't feel much different either. I'd love to see how the double taps perform with the barnes bullet. I'll need to see if there's a place I can do some wetpack tests.

2. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Yeah, a P3AT needs to be cleaned after 50rds or so, or else you'll start having problems with jams and such. Otherwise it sounds like you had a good day at the range. :)

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    +1

Break-in for my two P3ATs was 50 rounds clean, 50 rounds clean, etc. Since then I've never put more than 57 rounds through either of my P3ATs before cleaning.

Man, that is a lot of shooting you did. Sounds like that "other 380" might be the one to dedicate to carry.

Bill K.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's not unusual during breakin.  It should improve to at or very near 100%, especially if you figure out which ammo it prefers.

Or a dirty gun with failed lubrication.   ;)

After cleaning, lube it like this.  Some grease in selected locations is advised, especially if you are shooting a lot of rounds.

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm  

5. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    57 rounds, Really ? I put nearly 200 rounds thru mine last weekend without cleaning it and do that often,  We had maybe 2 issues the whole day most likely caused from limp wristing, I Have always cleaned it after every range trip but considered leaving it dirty until the next trip just to see how far it would go before issues develop.  I did clean it because Im carrying it daily. Personally if I had to clean any gun after 1 box of ammo I would choose another brand gun. Im not trying to down play anyones opinion here, just telling you what works for me.

6. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    That's not unusual during breakin.  It should improve to at or very near 100%, especially if you figure out which ammo it prefers.

Or a dirty gun with failed lubrication.   ;)

After cleaning, lube it like this.  Some grease in selected locations is advised, especially if you are shooting a lot of rounds.

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm  

[/quote]

I was very happy that the feeding issues resolved in the first 100 rounds. Any advice / guides to cleaning? I just attack the parts with an old toothbrush and rubbing alcohol and a bore bruish for the barrel, then lube / grease up.

7. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    +1

Break-in for my two P3ATs was 50 rounds clean, 50 rounds clean, etc. Since then I've never put more than 57 rounds through either of my P3ATs before cleaning.

Man, that a lot of shooting you did. Sounds like that "other 380" might be the one to dedicate to carry.

Bill K.
    [/quote]

Well I didn't want to stop and clean ;)

Shooting was fun. I call them the black and brown ones. The black one i bought from a friend and in about 125 rounds has been flawless. Plan is to get my *** in gear and get the concealed carry app notarized and mailed out.

It did suprise me, I figured the defense stuff would be a lot harder on me.

8. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Check to be sure that the extractor spring screw hasn't backed out a bit.  I've had a few FTEs on two occasions and both times the screw had loosened about a quarter turn or so.

9. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    Hmm yeah dead on, backed out a 1/4 turn. Also the assembly pin walked out a little too.

10. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yes, 7 rounds of my SD ammo through my carry P3AT and then a 50 count box of ball or reloaded ammo through my practice/training P3AT and I'm done. Will often do more shooting with another gun or two but not a whole lot. Because I shoot on my own property, in kinda suburban Connecticut, I'll generally only only shoot once a week and then not a whole lot in consideration of my neighbors. Since I've got other guns it is not every week that the P3ATs get shot. Now, when I get out to family property in rural PA (Mansfield, PA area on my wife's side and Fulton County, near McConnellsburg, on my side) all hell breaks loose.  :)

In no way suggesting there is anything wrong with putting more rounds through the P3AT, I just don't do it.

Bill K.