Range report with new HC P-3AT.  I'm hopeful.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by blinky_88, Feb 19, 2008.

1. blinky_88

blinky_88 New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Well, until now I had only fired a P-32. I had heard all of the stories about people not being comfortable with the P-3AT and I thought that I was going to get the 32 and be done with it. That was until I walked in a saw the HC/Blue p-3at that just screamed TAKE ME HOME! Who am I to argue, right?

When I first got my hands on it, I noticed how tight it was. Honestly, I was really surprised at how solid it felt. I picked up a Houge grip, a box of Remington FMJ and a box of WWB and out the door I went.

First thing I did was go home and strip it. Again, I was surprised at how easy it was to field strip. I guess somehow, I had gotten it into my head that it would be a pain in the butt. I really didn't go beyond a clean and lube. I did take some very fine sand paper and shine up the feed ramp a bit though. I put it back to together and off to the range I went.

When I got to the range I got a box of DPX and a box of the standard Corbon JHP to test also. I loaded it up with the Rem., sent the target back to 15 feet and off I went. The first mag was SWEET. POA and POI was right on. I tell ya, I was grinning from ear to ear.

I wasn't until the second mag that I had my first failure to feed with the Rem. ammo. That one could have been my fault, I'm not 100% sure. But, I ended up with a total of three FTF's in the first 50 rounds of the Rem. The 50 WWB went down range without a hitch. Then I tried the DPX. It DID NOT like the DPX. Out of 20 rounds, I had 5 FTF's. Then it was the standard Corbon JHP. Out of 20 rounds of that, I had one FTF. All the FTF's were pretty easy to clear too, just a quick tap, rack and bang.

I'm going to try out some different brands of ammo next week, but so far I really have no complaints about the gun. I'll probably do some more polishing on the feed ramp, etc.. but, like I said, overall I'm pretty excited about it. I think I made the right choice.

Oh yeah, here she is too:

[​IMG]

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Re: Range report with new HC P-3AT.  I'm hope

Congrats on your purshase.

You might try the other ammo again once you're past 200 or so rounds. Maybe the springs will loosen up a bit and the ramp might be a bit more broken in. I've got 100 rounds of FMJ through mine so far, I'll put another 100 through on the next range visit before I try any JHP.

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Re: Range report with new HC P-3AT.  I'm hopeful.

That's a lot of shooting a brand new P3-AT without cleaning. I'm pretty sure the FTFs will begin to disappear after some more shooting (and cleaning).

Congrats on finding the HC/Navy combo - think they are nicest looking factory P3-ATs!

Bobo

4. blinky_88

blinky_88 New Member

Feb 17, 2008

The first thing was go home and give it a nice clean and lube. Are you talking about putting 140 rounds through it on the first day out?

I REALLY love the looks of this gun. There is one more at the shop too..

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

The first thing was go home and give it a nice clean and lube.  Are you talking about putting 140 rounds through it on the first day out?

I REALLY love the looks of this gun.  There is one more at the shop too..[/quote]Yes, 140 rounds is a lot without cleaning when brand new. My gun would start to FTF at about 25 to 50 rounds when new - now at over 2000 rounds I have shot over 150 trouble free without cleaning.

Bobo

6. Prostatix

Prostatix New Member

Feb 7, 2008

Mine is a new HC also, and after a detailed fluff n buff and relube, I made it through 100 rounds without a malfunction. Now I think I am around 400 rounds, and still no FTE or FTF. That includes 40 rounds of DPX.

I think your malfunctions will disappear without much hassle as you break in the gun.

I noted the DPX is really a snappy load, so also consider your form. I used to get a good deal FTE's out of my Ed brown 1911 .45, and my buddy shot it flawless, same ammo... so I knew I was prolly limp wristing or had some flaw in my form. To fix it he gave me his .357 snubby loaded with some hot rounds, but he snuck a snap cap in somewhere to observe my form. Man those were brutal to fire. Good idea though and maybe one you might want to try with the P3AT. That did the trick, and ever since I have not had a FTE from ANY of my guns.

7. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008

Just a comment, the books says that 50-100 round is needed to break the P3AT in.
    I just tried two new guns today and suffered about 15% failure to extract the expended rounds from the barrel.
    Two types of ammo with a firm hold on the guns and two shooters.