Range Report...with CTC LG430

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nu_Agin_Shooter, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Well I finally got to try the LG430 Crimson Trace Laser on one of the Kel-Tec 3AT's.

[​IMG]

Short version of report?....... ;D

Now the long version...

The laser is a very simple design and very easy to install.  Simply snap on one side, insert the battery, snap the other side on and install two screws.

[​IMG]

I was concerned about my big hands (almost 10 inches from tip of thumb to tip of little finger when hand is spread) being able to activate the under the trigger gaurd switch.   I had that problem with the small grip CTC laser on my J Frame S&W.  The larger CTC laser grip on the J Frame works fine for me.

[​IMG]

It is NOT a problem for me on the 3AT.  The way the Kel-Tec 3AT and the Crimson Trace LG430 fit, I can EASILY obtain proper grip, activate the laser and fire the gun.

[​IMG]

The laser was zeroed out of the box and remained that way for the first 50 rounds.  After the first 50, I took it off, cleaned the gun, and re-installed.  (THE LASER DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REMOVED TO CLEAN THE GUN!  In fact, the gun could be completely stripped down with the laser installed.)  I took it off because I needed to know if it would hold zero after the re-install.

It did hold zero after the reinstall.  It held zero for another 50 rounds of WWB and 13 rounds of my carry ammo (DPX).

Also worthy of noting is that the 3AT went bang 113 times without a hickup!

Overall, I was VERY IMPRESSED with the laser.  It allows for very fast pointing and shooting without the need to find the sight picture, and to some degree it helped extend the range (distance) of my abilities.  I was easily able to hit COM at 50 feet!

Now switching to how it looks and holster compatability!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HOLSTER FIT

Guru Dave...NO GO!
    [​IMG]

Desanti Nemisis:  GOOD!
    [​IMG]

Uncle Mikes #36:  GOOD!
    [​IMG]

5:11 :  Good!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    at what distance is the laser zeroed? and how does it compare to the armalaser in your opinion?

3. The CTC LG430 is set to zero at 50 feet.

I have never used the Arma Laser.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi Nu_Agin_Shooter,

Nice report. Pleased to read that you're happy with your purchase.

Does the literature you got with your Laser address the fit of the unit if you happen to use grip pads and rubber grip sleeves? From your pictures it looks as if I'd have to do some trimming of my grip modifications in order that the Laser fit properly.

Thanks ...

5. Hey Bill...

I dont use any grips or pads. I did have a Hogue Handall Jr. for a while and took it off.

Based on the Handall I had, I assume you could simply trim some of the rubber off of the rubber grips panels or rubber grip.

Another thing I had done with my handall was use a nylon wheel on a dremel to smooth edges.

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Looks like a nice unit. Thanks for the review!

Bobo

7. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Great review. Man, those are some ape paws!

-Matt

8. Yeah... now that the pic is posted, maybe my KTOG buddies will stop raggin on me every time I report that I sand my mag release buttons flush or below the frame!

9. jocko

jocko Guest

Yeah...  now that the pic is posted, maybe my KTOG buddies will stop raggin on me every time I report that I sand my mag release buttons flush or below the frame!
    [/quote]

nice report, u covered most of the bases to. glad to see how it fits in some of the pocket holsters. Looks to me about as compact a laser as one can ever ask for andCTC makes good stuff, so I have no doubt it is a good set up. Nice report again..

10. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Thank you NAS! Much appreciated

11. VT_Hokie

VT_Hokie New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    What kind of grip extension is that on the P3AT?

12. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Excellent review, nice pics, thanks for taking the time!

I haven't bought one yet but it looks like there are three good choices for lasers in the Kel-Tec family. Crimson Trace, ArmaLaser and LaserLyte. Haven't heard too many negatives about any of them. I wonder if anybody owns all three.

Hmm my hands are only 9 1/2" thumb to pinky. You know what they say about big hands .... Big hands, Big gloves.

13. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    never thought much about armalasers, but the looks of this one intrigues me. might i inquire how much i might expect something like that to set me back?

14. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Don,t wish to hijack the thread,but about a month ago I ordered one my self direct from the factory in Wilsonville,Or.Paid $209. before shipping.Very pleased with the product..

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    LaserLyte makes a unit for the P3AT?

16. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    LaserLyte makes a unit for the P3AT?[/quote]
    Nossir, I don't think so, sorry for not being clear.

I've got both the PF9 and the P3AT jumbled in my head and I am bouncing back and forth between them because I want to buy another KT but can't make up my mind which ...

So ... I tend to interchange them in my head frequently at the moment. :-[

The only LaserLyte I've seen specifically for KT is for the PF9. I can't say I've seen a Crimson Trace specifically for the PF9 but there may be one out there. ArmaLaser is the only one I know that makes something specifically for both.

Apologies for any past (or further) confusion. ::)

17. Hey Hokie... Welcome to KTOG

If I remember correctly, they are Schere.  

Kel-Tec sells them now.    There are at least 3 types of extensions that fit this mags.  BERSA, Shcere, and North American Arms.

BTW... Mine are grip/pinky extensions and add no round capacity.

Kel-Tec sells a +1 mag extension.