Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hi guys,
I bought a gun. It's been almost 14 months since the last one so I did it. I still need a snub .357 though.

What I was looking for was a high cap 9mm for range use only. I have no intention of carrying this gun. I just wanted another gun that I can use against my dueling tree. My Sig p226 will still be my side arm of choice.

So what I was looking for was A. 9mm, B. Hi cap C. low dollar.
The Ruger 9E fit the bill nicely. I have more rugers than any other maker, to my surprise. I tend to get them to fill work horse niches. I've never had a problem with a Ruger, and the company politics doesn't bother me. IBM sold computers to the Nazis.

What I like about this gun: It has a slim grip and ambidextrous controls. I'm a righty, but this is a 'guest' gun. I have lefty guests, and often young and/or female guests who tend to have smaller hands. It is not light (27+oz empty) so it is pretty easy to shoot. It has a safety like a 1911, but not as easy to take move. I wouldn't want this gun as a carry piece with that safety, but I'm quite happy with it as a guest gun. I has the 3 dot sights which is my preference. They aren't night sites, but it is a day gun. For a Ruger it has a simple take down. That means it is only 3 times more complex than anything else. Actually, it is pretty simple. Mag out, slide back, depress extractor with finger, trigger forward, remove take down pin, slide forward.

It might surprise a few of you, but I took it down to the range when I got it home (after a quick review of the owners manual, and a patch down the pipe). I only ran two mags worth ( it only came with one) thru, but had zero fails.

This is my only striker fired gun and I found it very shootable. I did notice that if the front site wasn't on target it tended to miss. I brought just two paddles for my tree down and was able to smack them back and forth with authority from the git-go.

Lets see, the main spring and spring rod are and assembly. I didn't see if they could be taken apart, but if you like to clean the rod and spring every time it might be more complex. The gun holds more than my sig, but feels smaller. It shoots nicely. It has windage for the rear sight with an allen key. The back strap is rubber and reversible. Push the lanyard pin out, slide out the back strap, and it is flat on the other side. Plastic checkering on the grip and the front strap with a nice smooth thumb groove (ambi). Rail up front that I won't need, and both the safety and the mag release are ambi, slide lock is for a righty only.

The magazine is marked as ruger, but says 'made in Italy'. (Gun is Prescott Az, USA) The mag is a bit tricky to load. You need to do it right to get that first round in and the follower to drop down a bit, after that it works better but takes more effort that my sig that has had 10's of thousands of rounds thru it.

I bought this gun new. MSRP is 459, local had it listed at 370 and sold it for 360 plus tax.

Is it a carry piece? No, not with that safety. Is it a solid range gun? Yes. Is it a good guest gun? Yes. Am I happy? Come on, it's a gun. YES

http://www.ruger.com/products/9E/models.html

Attachments

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, quick follow up. In the last picture it is hard to see, but the barrel sticks out the front just a little. The slide sweeps back a bit, and the top of the barrel juts out. Is this good? functional? Useful? I don't know. It looks good. The whole gun just sang to me. You know how that is. It just felt right to me. It also felt like it would feel right to a lot of others. And it had been almost 14 months too. ;-)

Lop

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Nice price. I assume it's the same size as a Glock G19.

How's the trigger?

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Gary,
I couldn't tell you about the g19 comparison. The trigger is ok. Single action S/W revolvers are better. T/C single shots are better. Keltek's are worse. At 8 yards I was hitting the 6 inch steel paddles most of the time and only missing when I goofed. That was an 'un familiar gun' (which is not my strong suit) and shooting fast(ish).

For the cost of the gun and the application I bought it for, the trigger is fine.

I just weighed it and my sig. Both empty. The sig is 810.7 grams and the Ruger is 688.0 grams.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Sounds like a solid purchase. Ruger makes some super heavy-duty revolvers and pretty good .22's. Their semi-autos often are lacking in a few key things here and there, or they have extras for which I do not care at all, but the SR9 and this 9E are pretty darned good pistolas. They're affordable, well-made, they go bang reliably, and they're easy to shoot. I had the SR9 and SR9C, and both shot very well for me. The SR9C carried a lot easier, of course, but the SR9 was easier for me to shoot. If you disregard the manual safety altogether on that 9E (seriously, it's completely unnecessary), you basically just have an American-made Glock 17 with a slightly more involved field-strip/assembly process. The trigger on the SR9 and 9E is actually a tad better than on most factory Glocks, IMHO: a little lighter, a little shorter, a little crisper. I just wish that Ruger made a mid-sized SR9 like the Glock 19; the SR9 and 9E are a bit too big for summer concealed carry because of the long grip, and the SR9C is okay but the grip's too short for my hands and 5 extra rounds (or at least 2 more) would be nice.

For a range toy and loaner gun, I think ya' done good with the 9E. And as far as wanting a .357 snubby, you can't really go wrong with getting another Ruger ... namely the SP101 in one of its many flavors (2.25", 3", or 4", with a standard or bobbed hammer, fixed or adjustable sights, etc.)

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing in the owners manual (yeah, I read them) that is worry some is a warning box that says 'do not load the pistol until you are ready to use it and unload immediately when you have completed shooting... If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire....Any gun may fire if dropped.

They suggest you carry it chamber empty. What good is that for a carry gun? I thought I owned a lot of drop safe guns. I know some are not, but most are.

As for the .357, it will either be J-frame or and LCR. The sp101 is to big in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
One thing in the owners manual (yeah, I read them) that is worry some is a warning box that says 'do not load the pistol until you are ready to use it and unload immediately when you have completed shooting... If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire....Any gun may fire if dropped.

They suggest you carry it chamber empty. What good is that for a carry gun? I thought I owned a lot of drop safe guns. I know some are not, but most are.

As for the .357, it will either be J-frame or and LCR. The sp101 is to big in my opinion.
Jut another disclaimer from PC Ruger to cover their a**. Their policy is all firearms should be carried, transported, and stored, unloaded. They make good products, but I dislike their attitude, and those big warnings they stamp, engrave, or cast into the exterior of their products really turns me off. I buy what I really want from them only when it is absolutely the best or only choice.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
The SP101 is actually almost the same exact size as the LCR, really. The LCR's grip is just a tiny bit shorter, so that (on my medium-sized hands) my pinky needs to tuck under the grip whereas on the SP101 it just baaaaarely sits on the edge of the grip. The LCR is obviously way lighter, but trust me, that weight makes it FAR less comfortable to shoot very much at all, even with that squishy Hogue grip, than something with more heft to it. (And an Airweight J-frame with an exposed backstrap is just plain miserable to shoot.) And the SP101 is basically a "forever gun" that you almost cannot possibly wear out, whereas the LCR is ... wellllllll ... not likely as durable, due to its construction materials. I don't know of anyone who's shot an LCR apart as of yet, although I do know that the .357 LCR I had did feel a tad bit more loose overall (not terribly so) after a couple hundred rounds, FWIW.

While Ruger's kinda stupid with the lawyer-worship practices, and their products certainly aren't the most refined or prettiest or best-fitting overall, they do at least still tend to make their firearms to last. Your hands will probably completely wear out lonnnnnnng before that 9E ever wears out. Especially if you don't have an UpLula mag loader to help with loading those mags - getting those last couple of rounds in is a chore without it. :)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
If you disregard the manual safety altogether on that 9E (seriously, it's completely unnecessary), you basically just have an American-made Glock 17 with a slightly more involved field-strip/assembly process.
Right, the published dimensions of the 9E are indeed about the same as the G19.

The SR9C is near identical to the G26, except with the unnecessary manual safety.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Last I checked, the SR9 and 9E are closer to the Glock 17 than the Glock 19 in dimensions, mainly because of the longer grip necessitated by the 17-round magazine. Actually, after comparing specs, it appears the SR9 and 9E are actually taller.

Ruger SR9 height: 5.52"

Glock 17 height: 5.43"

Either way, it's a longer grip than most of us can easily conceal without the use of a cover garment like a jacket, coat, or maybe a really big, untucked, button-up shirt. Dunno why Ruger never made an in-between option, or at least maybe a 15-round mag that would plug into the SR9C. Here's to hoping they make a mid-sized version with the new Ruger American Pistol ... and fix that stupid square-shaped rear end of the grip frame while they're at it. :)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Last I checked, the SR9 and 9E are closer to the Glock 17 than the Glock 19 in dimensions, mainly because of the longer grip necessitated by the 17-round magazine. Actually, after comparing specs, it appears the SR9 and 9E are actually taller.

Ruger SR9 height: 5.52"

Glock 17 height: 5.43"
My bad; I meant to type Glock 17, not 19. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.