Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the mothership returned my HC P3-AT with a new slide and barrek I have been working at breaking it in. The first 80 or so rounds worked just fine then I fired a box of Fiocchi.

I was trying to anticipate using it in a BG situation thus firing it fast. Here are the results and my question:

1 FTF
3 FTE's

I finished it with 12 rounds of Santa Barbara shooting it normal with NO issues.

I usually do not limp wrist and do not experience any FTE's with my Glock when firing the same way.

Could these be caused by my quickness or not allowing the slide to reset?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
That's good advice. Give it a good cleaning of course and test the Fiocchi before shooting any other brands.

By FTF, do you mean failure to feed or fire? If it didn't fire, then you didn't allow the trigger to go fully forward to reset before pulling the trigger again.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Kwesi said:
I usually do not limp wrist and do not experience any FTE's with my Glock when firing the same way.
This is a much smaller and lighter pistol than your Glock. Larger, heavier guns with a bigger grip are much less susceptible to limpwristing.

Do you have a magazine finger extension and/or a Hougue Handall, Jr. ? Both of those can really help with your grip.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
It is nearly impossible to limp wrist this gun from a very firm, push-pull grip:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

Single hand grip:

1. Line up on target.
2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you are using one of these grips, and you get malfunctions, it is NOT limp wristing, but the gun that is causing them.

Packer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Troubleshooter said:
Take the Fiocchi back to the range and shoot them with the same method you normally shoot. Then shoot one or more brands with the method you had the failures with and that should confirm or disprove your theory.
I will do that but has anyone else tried to fire 4 -5 rounds quickly and is so did you have any FTE's?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alamo said:
That's good advice.  Give it a good cleaning of course and test the Fiocchi before shooting any other brands.

By FTF, do you mean failure to feed or fire?  If it didn't fire, then you didn't allow the trigger to go fully forward to reset before pulling the trigger again.
FTF - faild to fire. I ejected the round then finished the mag before reloading it and then it went bang.

Am I using "FTF" incorrectly to describe my issue?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Some people use FTF for Fail to Feed. It should be Fail to Load or FTL, then FTF would always mean fail to fire.

Are you releasing the trigger properly? Is the button head tight?

Packer.

G

·
Kwesi said:
FTF - faild to fire. I ejected the round then finished the mag before reloading it and then it went bang.

Am I using "FTF" incorrectly to describe my issue?
would almost bet ur ftf on that one round was due to not releasing the trigger far enough to hear those two little clicks. I have myself in trying rapid fire been guilty of that, u just have to let that trigger release our u are firing from a half cocked weapon. that is a no-no...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Let me add my voice to the choir singing about not letting the P-3AT trigger go far enough forward and getting a light strike from the partial reset.

Prove it to yourself. Grab a snap cap and "fire" it. Hold the trigger back and partially rack the slide (about a quarter inch or less) to reset the hammer. Then slowly release the trigger until you sense a click. Now try to "fire" again. You will notice that the trigger is very light. If you watch carefully you can see that the hammer did not go very far back before "firing" again. This light strike is almost certainly what you experienced, especially since the ejected round fired normally later.

TucsonMTB . . . been there done that, no Tee shirt, mildly embarrassed

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Some people use FTF for Fail to Feed. It should be Fail to Load or FTL, then FTF would always mean fail to fire.

Are you releasing the trigger properly? Is the button head tight?

Packer.
Packer; thanks for the update and for the earlier shooting tips! I think I was not letting the trigger reset. Next trip I will shoot normally then I'll rapid fire and compare.

Have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends!

Kwesi

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  The P3AT trigger is a rock and a hard place for rapid fire. If you release it too soon, the trigger guard will bruise your finger. If you hold it too long, then you might not release it enough to reset.

The key is to always touch the front of your trigger finger to the back of the guard. Then you KNOW it has reset. Happy Thanksgiving to YOU too!

Packer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.