Range Report - P3AT's first time out - some pics

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by diamond, Jan 23, 2010.

1. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Total Impression: Wow!  I am totally impressed with Kel-tec and this little P3AT!

[​IMG]

I bought this gun about a week ago and immediately gave it a fluff and buff.  Pretty easy to do and it made a fun project.  It took me about an hour or so.  Then I lubed it up real well and put it away.

A week later now from my purchase date, my local gun shop got in some PMC 90gr fmj for $24.99/50.  I thought the price was decent, especially considering this was the first fjm ammo in .380 I have seen in months.

[​IMG]

Well, on to the range report.

As I said in my first comment...I am totally impressed.  This gun just shoots...period.  I went through 100 rounds of the PMC without a single hitch and 7 rounds of my future carry ammo.

Most of my experience over the past 6 months at the range has been with my Glock 27 in .40S&W.  That thing has some noticeable recoil.  Not that I mind...recoil is just a guns way of saying, "Hi." :)

I've never shot a P3AT before.  I've heard some people say they have A LOT of recoil.  They say, "Those things kick like a mule!"  Not in my opinion.  The 107 rounds I put through it were no problem at all.  Follow-up shots were very manageable.

I'll admit that my first couple of magazines were not grouping very well.  At 7 yards, I was grouping at around 6-7".  But as I worked through the ammo, my groups began to tighten up.

I did take 1 magazine very seriously to see just how good of a group I could get.  I put 6 shots in a 3" group at 7 yards using my best breath control, grip and trigger control.  Very acceptable for a micro-gun like this.  Note: I did stage the trigger by pulling it until just before it wanted to let the hammer go and then gave it one last light pull for each of these 6 shots.

I also tried a rapid fire.  I emptied 6 shots out of the mag very quickly and put all 6 shots within an 8" radius at 5 yards.  I didn't shoot it like a fully auto machine gun, but I was pulling the trigger fairly rapidly only allowing enough time to see the front sight come into view on my target and then pulled off another shot.  Amazing little gun...just amazing.

Limp Wristing

[​IMG]

I have read a lot online in forums and was even told by my local gun store guy that the main problem with failures in this gun is limp wristing while shooting.  Sounded like a challenge to me.

I loaded it up and held it just like you see in my picture.  I went through two magazines without a single failure.  This really increased my confidence level for carrying this gun for self-defense in a huge way.  

Flawless was my final outcome for my first trip with my new Kel-tec P3AT.  I could not have been happier...well, unless I would have remembered to bring a large pizza and a Diet Coke. ;)

When I was all through shooting and packing up to go home, it was like this little P3 just looked at me and said with a smile, "Thank you. Let's do this again soon."

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Re: Range Report - P3AT's first time out - some pi

Excellent range report. Those are some great groups for that distance and type of fire! Next thing to figure out is how to carry it. Some suggestions...
    [table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][td][​IMG][/td][/tr][/table]

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

Great report!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks,
    Bobo

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

thanks for the report and pics

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

Some good ideas. I have a pocket holster. That is how I intend to carry it at this point.

6. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006

Nice range report.

wyo-man

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

I've heard comments from some that these are "good guns for the money." Heck, their just good guns.

8. jim-sks

jim-sks New Member

Dec 18, 2009

Great Range Report. They are nice weapons. :)

9. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

I found some ball ammo the other day, and got the chance to run 50 rounds down range today. Just a sweet little gun all right. It had been awhile.