Range Report -- Not good

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Robb1313, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Robb1313

Robb1313 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Took my new P3AT out today, loaded it up, pulled the trigger...

<CLICK>
    <CLICK>

over and over.

Took it apart and noticed the hammer block is not disengaging.

I was able to finally get it to fire, but about every other round was a <CLICK>.

Also, about 25% smilies. Going to work on that. PMC Bronze FMJ.

Anybody have a suggestion on the hammer block issue?

Thanks

Rob

2. spark

spark New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Have U done a complete tear down and cleaned the manufacturing gunk off everything, checked for free moving parts and burrs, then lube and reassemble?

3. Robb1313

Robb1313 New Member

Mar 6, 2011

Yup -- Including removing the hammer block and spring -- now that was an interesting reassembly!

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I'd call KT tomorrow and ask to speak to a technician. Whatever it is, they have seen it before. Hopefully they can send you replacements for the offending part/s and avoid having the send the gun in for warranty repair.

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    do you happen to have the belt clip installed?

6. Robb1313

Robb1313 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    No belt clip installed. Stock out of the box, ZERO rounds out.

I spoke with Kel-tec today and they told me to send it in for warranty.

So, here's a brand-new pistol, near zero rounds which needs warranty.

They reimburse up to $35.00 for shipping -- problem is, it was $55.00 fedex! OUCH!!!

We'll see how long it takes. Any ideas on the turnaround time?

Rob

7. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    Why is it so much? Can't you ship ground?

8. Robb1313

Robb1313 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Nope.... Both UPS and FEDEX require priorty overnight, adult signature required. It's not a ATF requirement.

9. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Nope.... Both UPS and FEDEX require priorty overnight, adult signature required.  It's not a ATF requirement.

[/quote]
    A shipping guide;
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

10. Robb1313

Robb1313 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Nope.... Both UPS and FEDEX require priorty overnight, adult signature required.  It's not a ATF requirement.

[/quote]
    A shipping guide;
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm[/quote]

Yup -- that's one of the references I used for shipping.

11. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Might want to re-read it. If you paid more than 15.00 you paid too much.ymmv

12. Robb1313

Robb1313 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Ya, but you're tilting windmills.

Even if it weren't a legal requirement, it's company policy.  You may not get arrested, but they sure could make life miserable.
    --Hold package for not meeting their requirements.  Possibly be banned from ever shipping anything again.
    --Get the Feds involved.  We all know how persistent the ATF can be, and to have them come to your house or work to ask questions is uncomfortable at least.
    --Sue you for violating <pick your bs reason>.  Costly -- who wants to retain a lawyer to fight anything.  It's damn costly.

In the end, it sucks to be taken to the cleaners, but the gun is at KT, being worked on, and will be returned to me.  

I pick my battles, and this wasn't on the list of things I want to fight.  I just wanted to share the experience with the KTOG Community.

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's fine. There is nothing wrong with playing by their rules. However, I have shipped machine parts and lived to tell about it, nor have I ever heard of anyone having any of the problems you mentioned as a result. We also post here as a source for other readers' future refererence. And toward that end, there are other options. I read some time back that either UPS or FedEx, maybe both, now offer 2nd day air on firearms shipments at a reduced rate. Also, FFLs can ship through the US mail at a much cheaper rate. One could probably have their gun shop ship the gun for them a lot cheaper, and simply pay them the cost. Finally, on a new gun that fails "out of the box" a call to KT service may result in them issuing a call tag where they pay shipping. The warranty doesn't require them to do that, so ask nicely. :)

14. TK421

TK421 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I recently shipped a P3AT back to KT that had never run right.  I asked KT to pay for shipping (TxCajun's suggestion, IIRC.)  I simply explained that while I knew under the terms of the warranty they weren't responsible for shipping, I was unhappy about paying for expedited shipping when the gun had been problematic from the start, and would really appreciate it if they would take care it.  They agreed right away, and sent me a UPS next day label via email. When I printed the label, I noticed KT had listed the shipment contents as "machine parts."  I decided that if UPS asked what was in the box, then I wouldn't lie, but I wouldn't volunteer that information either.  They didn't ask.

15. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No, they shouldn't ask and frankly, so long as you are shipping something legal, it's none of their business.  I would suggest that anyone shipping "machine parts" via UPS or FedEx Ground, use one of the little strip center mailbox type places and avoid the major UPS centers.  I find that the folks working in those little shops really don't care much what you do.  However, in the major UPS centers, they...  1.  Don't know the law...  2.  Don't know their own policies...  3.  Don't know their butts from a hole in the ground.   ;D

Years ago, I tried to actually ship a handgun back for service by going to the UPS Center and telling them what I needed to do.  They wanted a copy of the manufacture's FFL.  I complained that this was not required and was sent up the food chain to answer my questions and concerns.  I never got the same answer twice and no one had a clue what they were talking about, but it was clear they were just going to give me more grief.  I went down the road and shipped machine parts from Mailboxes, Etc... via UPS Ground, insured for $200, for $10. :)