Range Report - New P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by lagerbrewer, Dec 29, 2007.

1. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Well, I only had an hour and a half to shoot today and I took my brand new P3AT to the range. I am happy to report NO FTF OR FTE! The gun performed flawlessly though 50 rnds of fmj and 25 rnds of jhp. My finger hurts like hell from the kick on this thing, but boy am I happy with this gun. It seems to be off a little to the right. Maybe it's me. I'll have my armalaser by next week so I'll get it dialed in. I didn't do the fluff and buff yet, but I did take it apart and clean it before shooting. I found 1 small metal shaving back near the firing pin. Otherwise it was in great shape.

I did want to ask you guys about the magazine though. Empty, they are easy to insert and remove and I've been holding the mag release in as suggested on here and not slamming the mag in. When full, I really have to cram the thing in there or it will not lock into place. It's almost like I am fighting the mag spring during the last 2mm of insertion. I'm afraid I'm going to break the mag release. Any suggestions?

-MG380

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    When loaded with 6 in the mag, the mag spring has to go completely into the follower.  If one coil of the spring is a little outside, it has to be forced in.

After assembling a mag to be sure the spring is seated proper, load it with six, THEN push down on the rounds until it stops.  It should go far enough to cover the primer [highlight]case rim [/highlight]and should go down smoothly till the follower bottoms out.  If there is a snap or crunch, that is the spring being forced into the follower.

even with a full mag inserted and latched, you should be able to push the mag in deeper, till base plate hits grip.  The same as an empty mag, just with more spring force.

There is a very small group (that is chastisized by the others) that only load 5 in the mag. :eek:

[highlight]EDIT[/highlight] the case rim for the P3AT, just the primer for the P32

3. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    No problems - that's wonderful. Cleaning is definitely important to get that result. You're sharper than most to have studied up on it before shooting it the first time. Welcome to KTOG :)

The problem you describe is definitely unusual. The mag should be just as easy to insert when empty as when full. Do a search for the "smiley" thread. That one describes in detail the following diagnostic process...
    1. remove the mag, and any in the chamber
    2. remove the slide and barrel
    3. install just the barrel (no slide) onto the grip and insert the takedown pin to hold the barrel in its normal position.
    4. insert the (full) mag, and note where it hits the feed ramp on the barrel. you should be able to move the barrel back and forth, up and down, any amount and not hit the top bullet.

4. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Awesome thanks guys. I do see what you mean about the spring sitting just outside of the follower. Things are getting better with the gun since over 100 rnds have gone through it. It's much smoother than when I got it and the magazine problem is fading away also. I hve a feeling that even the magazines need to break in a little. I read a little about the smileys, but will research further. Thanks again for the suggestions and welcome!