Range Report, New-ish P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Angry_Bill, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Angry_Bill

Angry_Bill New Member

Sep 21, 2009
    The mrs and I went to the range with the P-3AT today for the second time. I was not at all impressed with the first trip to the range and the first 100 rds thru the pistol last month. I had MANY MANY MANY failure to feeds on my first trip. Most shots were single handed. Limpwristing was possible but doubtful. I was using Federal 380 FMJ and "smilies" :) were plentiful on the ammo in the clip (I got many chances to look on my many failure to feeds. The mrs did like the pistol after the first trip and truest me, I wanted to like it also but overall I was dismayed and disappointed. I thought I'd cut it some slack and figured I'd reserve judgment for another trip to the range.

I cleaned the pistol well and we headed to the range with Armscor 380 FMJ's in the ammo bag. The mrs took the first try and had a flawless set. I too tried single handed and double handed with no failures. My shooting style was the same as the first trip, that's why I'm doubting limpwristing. I didn't get a chance to look for smilies because the ammo was flowing well. We both couldn't be happier with today's performance, accuracy, handling of this fine little pistol. It beats the heck out of my Taurus 851 for comfort, speed (and accuracy). Not bad for a back up gun or a main carry in light clothing. Now if I could only carry the XDM40.... ::)

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG, glad to hear 2nd outing was better.

3. RangerNDog

RangerNDog New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Welcome. I think you find out that the Kel-Tec will grow on you and it will only get better with more rounds through it.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I always advise folks to take more than one round when shooting a new gun.  Especially during breakin, these pistols can be ammo-selective.  I'm glad it likes the Armscore stuff and I'm sure there are plenty of others that will work well.  At least you know what not to buy for that gun.

5. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I love my little p3at. I own a pf9 and that thing is one uncomfortable gun to shoot. I couldn't get more than about a 5" spacing with it until I installed a CT on it. (and I hate relying on gimmiks to shoot accurately)

My fist outing with the p3at was flawless. The armalaser I bought for it failed after the first shot, so I had sights only. I consistantly put the round thru the bull of the paper at many different ranges. I enjoyed the accuracy of the little gun immensely.

My next trip out with the CT laser was even better. This thing has never FTE/FTL/FTF.

It has a permanent home in my front pocket as a result. :)