Range Report Kel-Tec P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RABrant, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RABrant

RABrant New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Well, I finally made the time to take my brand new P3AT to the range yesterday. When I purchased it, and brought it home, I ran 600 grit along the slide rails and polished the feed ramp. I'm happy to report that out of 96 rounds, I had zero ftf/fte. I inspected the weapon after the first 50 rounds, looking for any cracks or deformations. So far it seems that I'm not plagued with some of the problems I've heard about from other owners of this fine little pistol.
    How'd it shoot? I thought the recoil was very light using S&B FMJ's with a pinkie extender on my magazine. As far as accuracy, let me just say I SUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!! The trigger pull was smooth and fairly light. I tried it with a full pull on the trigger, and also tried staging the trigger to near break, and couldn't seem to get good groups at even 12'. This is, for me, a very inaccurate weapon!
    I brought my beloved Makarov with me as well, and put 100 rds through that just to make myself feel better about my shooting skill. I shoot extremely tight groups with the Makarov at, and beyond thirty feet, so I know that I'm not a complete loser with a hand gun.

If anybody has any advice on how to improve ones accuracy with this weapon, I'd certainly appreciate it!

2. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I'm not what you'd call a marksman by any measure, but I found this little gun to be waaaaay more accurate than I would have ever dreamed. I was very impressed by the groupings I put down range. In fact, I was very surprised I hit as many bulls as I did.

Adding the CT laser made it even more enjoyable. I certainly impressed the guy beside me. (and myself)

On the other hand, I have a pf9 that I can barely hit the paper with. LOL

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Patients and experience from shooting these gun will help. Once you get used to the long trigger pull, you should find that KTs are accurate little guns. When I first started I had trouble too. Just so I could know it was me and not the gun, I used a bench rest to proof myself. Once I knew it was me and not the gun, I had something to work with. At that point, I bought some snap caps and using them to "dry fire" my PF-9 and then later my P3AT 1000 "rounds" each. The next trip to the range was gold. ;D

4. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Yeah why don't you get a bench rest you can find one on Midway for around thirty bucks and it can be a great investment for all your guns. Hopefully you can then determine if it's the gun or just your shooting skills.

Tom j.

5. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    My p3at is right on the money.  My P-11 on the other hand shoots a little to the right even from a rest while staging the trigger.
    You might want to try painting the front sight.  Some people paint both the front and rear but I found day-glow orange on the front sight improved my sight picture tremendously.

6. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I second painting the sights. I was also very suprized at the accuracy of this little gun. Practice will help alot too. Good luck :D