range report for 2nd gen p3at

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by eccoboot, Feb 25, 2008.

1. eccoboot

eccoboot New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    hi, im up to 700 plus rounds, all kinds of 380 bullets from my p3at 2nd gen , i wish i could say more, but i cant, the little fellow has not jammed or FTF, once.......i think ill keep it, i carry it loaded with Corbon DPX, they have very good specs.....

2. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks for this very encouraging post! It's great to see someone with a positive attitude and good news anywhere on the net.

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    People sometimes forget that the p3at is a great little gun because there are so many horror stories floating around concerning issues one way or another. This is a good little reminder of how reliable they can be.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    eccoboot,

Thanks for the uplifting report.

Have you ever thought about getting a 2nd P3AT to use primarily for the range and keeping your current proven reliable one primarily for carry?

Take care ...

5. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    BillK, I agree that is smart. Get a second one and save the first. However, that line of thinking also contributes to the problem or misperception this gun gunmaker has. Even the proponents and lovers of the P3at are Scared it's gonna break at anytime.

No other gun I have owned I have thought of that way. "get two".
    So just shoot it till she blows and get another. Stop the paranoia we inflict upon ourselves that these are super fragile guns. I realize it's a special purpose gun and not made for extended use, that's a given, but the man should be able to go a couple of thousand rounds without having to save it. I haven't shot mine 2000 and probably never will, but an owner should be able to do that with ease with no worry. Afterall 2000 rounds is just a third of the life expectancy according to the manual.

Best wishes and keep shooting it!

6. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I agree. While this gun can be fun to shoot that was not it's purpose to run many many rounds through it.
    I shot mine only to check it out, let it break in which was recommended, and make sure it was reliable.
    But I have done that with every semi auto I have had since I bought my first one while I was in the Army many years ago.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    :) OK! OK! OK already! What? Are you guys trying talk me outa getting a 2nd P3AT? How about 2 soes you can have one for each front pocket?  ;)

8. Prostatix

Prostatix New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    NOW yer talking  ;)

OR, one for the bedroom, one for the kitchen, one for the bathroom...  :D

Eccoboot, congrats on your perfect little AT. I too have had about 400 or so rounds through mine, including federal JHP, DXP, and FMJ, and have not had a single malfunction.

I am only left to wonder, where all these reports of "FTE" come from. 2 of my good friends have P3AT's and they also have never had failures. Maybe people just arent lubing their AT's with Ballistol!!

Maybe its just... the gun works for some people, it doesnt for others? That same friend of mine had a 9mm Rourbough that we BOTH could not make it through a mag with a FTE. That gun went back to manufacturer, and came back the same. He gave up on the Rourbough and got a P3AT. Loves it.

9. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I don't know why everyone is trying to "save" their P-3AT's, the above is a direct quote from the Kel-Tec web page under FAQ. If you do the math, that's 120 boxes of ammunition, so even if you shot 50 rds each month, you could do that for 10 years! :eek:...if you shot 100 rounds a month, you could do that for 5 years. I may be odd, but I've never owned any of my 20 odd handguns that long, IMO you should take it out and shoot it as much as you want. :cool:

10. crazylegs

crazylegs New Member

Dec 25, 2007
    I'm very pleased with my 2nd gen P-3AT.  I've had it a couple months.  I have shot over 500 rounds of a variety of brands (AE, WIN, REM, Federal Premium HS.)   I had two failurs to eject in the break-in period in the first 50 rds.  Since then it has been flawless.   The other day I took 3 guys from work to an indoor range. They were all newbies.  I had 3 different guns for them to try (P3AT. S&W 357 MAGNUM revolver,  Glock 17 and one of guys just purchesed a Ruger P95).  We rotated guns every 50 rounds.  After the first 100 rounds through my little P3AT it was my turn with the KT and I wanted to field strip it, clean and lube the little feller but every one was having such a good time and our one hr range clock was ticking so I just let them have fun.  200 rounds with no problems.  I was impressed so I quickly put another 50 rounds just to see what would happen.  No problems what so ever with the P3AT. :) :)

Just to let you know I did not just waste the 50 rounds, I was practicing drawing and shooting rapid fire one handed from my wheel chair.  Dont feel sorry for me that I am in a wheel chair :'( it has it advantages. :cool:  Just for fun on the way out of the range I was able to conceal all 4 guns wearing Wyoming tight Wranglers with a T shirt tucked in.  Try that walking on two good legs.   ;)   PS and I can always find a seat.  PPS The Newbies did not vote the P3AT the funnest gun to shoot.   The S&W 357 Magnum won that contest

11. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi Crazylegs.
    I'm not in a wheel chair.  
    On a cane.  Got a care person.  
    Don't drive any more.
    But I got a P3AT.  And haveing fun.
    Also got a U.S.Carbine. Had it over 60 years.
    My care person & I go out for breakfast,
    and the range (Top Gun)  once a week.
    I bought her a Walther P22.  She loves it.
    We got our CPL (CCW) together. NRA.
    We injoy the time out.  I'm 81 years old.
    All my parts are wore out.
    Heart, ears, diabetes, kidneys, liver, etc etc.
    I'm with Congestive Heart Failure unit
    at University of Michigan.
    I'm still alive and kicking.
    Injoy life.
    Charlie.