Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Range report: first time for the PMR-30

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TxCajun 
#1 ·
Range report:

Took the gun apart last night to clean and oil the locking block and barrel. Disassembly was surprisingly challenging. I have owned something in the neck of the woods of 40 pistols, 35 rifles, and have been screwing around with mechanical stuff for 42+ years, and it took me a hot minute of noodling to disassemble and reassemble the handgun efficiently. I got it cleaned up, lubed and reassembled and repeated the process three times to test myself. I have a handle on it now.

I took 100 rounds of the CCI Gamepoint 40gr stuff and 50 rounds of the Hornady 45gr FTX to Shoot Indoors and loaded 30 rounds into one mag and 20 into another.

Firing the gun is… surprising. The trigger is very short, crisp and has a low weight of pull. The report and flash are…attention-getting. Recoil is not typical for a .22; the light weight of the gun and the greater powder in the cartridge over .22 LR results in a bit more jump in the hand.

Accuracy appears to be good - and possibly fantastic, when I get used to the handling of the weapon. I shot a tiny avatar of my target in the upper right hand corner of the target from ten yards and was rewarded with a smallish group - not bad for an older gentleman with presbyopia.

Function was much better than I could have hoped for, with three stoppages, all of which were caused by my clumsiness with the loading process. My Lula loader came in this afternoon after shooting and I tested it after I got back; if I’d had it I would have had 100% reliability today.

I have to state that I am delighted with my purchase. This gun is an amazing piece of technology and a joy to shoot. I can’t wait to put another 150 rounds through it!
Sleeve Gun accessory Font Pattern Wood

See less See more
#4 ·
I've tried to find Critical Defense .22WMR ammo locally for several months, but no luck. When I order ammo on line in the spring, I'll hopefully be able to find it.

I love the PMR-30, and loved it even more after I bought the mag loader. Beware of the heel mag release on the -30, I've had two mags disengage from the pistol in a IWB holster (made specifically for the gun) after sitting down. I lost one of them.

I have nothing against heel magazine releases in general, but this one is poorly located and too easy to activate. I carried a Bulgarian Mak for over a decade and never released/lost a mag.

#11 ·
NOTE.-

A couple of posts (dboat & gehuckaby) that violated rules were deleted. There is NO COMMERCE allowed on our gunboards. Eligible members can use the Trading Post to buy/sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.