Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to the range yesterday.   The P3 functioned flawlessly with 50 rounds of ball ammo and 12 of Gold Dot.   Seemed to shoot a little low and left at 10-15 ft. but that could be me.  However, when I compensated by aiming high and right it was right on.   Wasn't worth a hoot shooting one handed--hit the 12 in square target at 15 ft, but definitely need more practice.

Only complaint I have is the ejected rounds hitting me in the forehead and glasses using what I believe is called a Weaver stance (two handed, left elbow against the torso) and an arms out straight in front of me, left elbow slightly low, stance (don't know the name).   Out of 62 rounds it happened maybe 4-5  times and was more than annoying.  

In October I'm taking a the first of a series of personal security courses that will teach 3 shooting positions.  Maybe one of these would be better for this weapon?  

thanks,

rw

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Empty's hitting you in the face are a very good sign you are letting your wrests break. This allows the gun to rotate upward under recoil and aims the ejection port back at your head.

Using locked wrests and allowing your elbows to flex will put the empties up & back into orbit, well over your head.

rcmodel

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
It's possible that you are limpwristing a bit.  If you don't lock your wrist, the muzzle flip can point the ejecting casing at your head.  
Keep your wrist locked and pivot at the elbow.  

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a lot to learn and this is a great site for some of it. It's a relief to learn that the rounds hitting me is something I can correct with better technique.

Later this week I hope to pick up a PF-9. I bought a Firestorm Mini-9 Saturday and shot it at the range with the P3. The Mini-9 has a good feel and shoots nice.

rw

·
Registered
751 Posts
rcmodel said:
Empty's hitting you in the face are a very good sign you are letting your wrests break. This allows the gun to rotate upward under recoil and aims the ejection port back at your head.

Using locked wrests and allowing your elbows to flex will put the empties up & back into orbit, well over your head.

rcmodel
I agree. Keep the wrists locked and put a death grip on the gun. Try pushing forward a bit, too, so the gun isn't so bossy. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
That is a very common problem with these very light, small pistols. Low weight=more recoil=more muzzle flip.
I had that problem the first 2 magazines, then after I learned how to keep my wrists locked and let my arms raise at the sholders from the recoil and not let my wrists break, the ejection port never aimed back at me. I still get hit on the head with brass but that is because my P3AT bounces the brass off of the 20 foot indoor range ceiling and they bounce back down onto me :eek:

Everyone at the range lets me have the end on the right for that reason whenever I shoot my P3AT or PF-9 ;)

I would strongly suggest safety glasses and a Hogue HandAll Jr grip sleeve. This helps to keep a firm grip.
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/handalljr.htm

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI again Dave,

I got the Hogue Handall and like it a lot. I'm looking forward to shooting again and stiffening up my wrists. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a PF-9. How do you like yours? Did you put the Hogue on it as well?

rw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.