Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my SU-16CA out for the first time. Prior to this, I had polished the bottom of the bolt carrier, piston and piston rod.

I really like this rifle a LOT :D. No FTL's, no FTF and no FTE's. I use 30 round PMAG magazines with the side windows. I ran 80 rounds through it flawlessly. I did have one issue, but not with performance. Either the gun is not straight or the sights are really bad! I do not have any optics and was only using the stock sights. In order to get the sights/barrel lined up with the target, I had to adjust the rear sight ALL the way to the left as far as it could possibly go and then tighten it a bit more. Once that was done, the gun shot straight.

Other than getting some optics for it which I will be doing, any suggestions as to why the sights are so far off when adjuted to the centerline of the rifle?

I am very happy I purchased this rifle. I really look forward to building it up more. It is LOUD without a suppressor on it. The people around me were all smiling when it went off, especially at rapid fire.

After zeroing the sights at 25 yards, below is the last target I shot at rapid fire while maintianing my sights on the center as best as possible. I think with a suppressor and optics I can do much better. I think though for this rifle it shoots pretty darn good. With optics, I will take the targets out to 50/100/200 yards and see how it does.

25 yards resting on my ammo can gripping the magazine well
25 rounds
Stock SU-16CA sights
Federal 5.56 55g
Air temp 53F
No wind
Grey overcast day

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
The sight issue was probably what KT calls "core shift", which means the barrel shifted it's position in the receiver before it set up. My first SU-16C had this problem, my second is better. Not really a problem unless you can't zero your sights. You will have to adjust your optics similarly so keep this in mind as you may need one with plenty of adjustment. Good luck with the longer range shooting, they are pretty accurate guns and you should have a ball with it.

Nice group for rapid fire BTW!

Bam Bam

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
And... since it could be core shift, call KT and talk to the service dept. For a customer to desire a product and put so much preparation into the smooth running of your new purchase as you have, you deserve some warranty work. IMO
The mothership has been known to do the right thing for the right reason. It's worth a phone call.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Kel-Tec this morning. What a great group of people! They will send me a prepaid shipping label today so i can ship my rifle to them for repair.

Thank you very much for the suggestion on contacting KT to get it fixed.

bgb

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is good news bgb. You deserve a rifle that shoots straight down the center. When you get your rifle back you should have full range of windage both left & right. This will be a big plus when you add optics. We'll all be looking forward to updates on your new range report :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple weeks ago I received my rifle back from Kel-Tec. First I must say that Kel-Tec service was GREAT!!!! They sent me a UPS shipping label. There was no out of pocket for me on anything.

Took the rifle out today and it shoots straight. Fantastic job by Kel-Tec fixing the "core shift" problem. Sites are dead on. Took it over tot he 100 yard range and with iron sites nailed the target at center mass. Love this rifle. Now it is time to make the modifications I want to make it my personal rifle!

While out at the range, I think I sold an AR15 user on getting a Kel-Tec. I let him shoot my rifle and he loved it.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts