Range Report at 447rds....Observations

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by chihuahuatn, Sep 28, 2008.

1. chihuahuatn

chihuahuatn New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Hello Everyone…..I have been reading this forum for a while and I wanted to post a range report about my Kel-Tec.  I have been carrying my P-3AT since July religiously and have racked up 447 rounds as of today. Below is my summary I’m sorry if it lengthy.

Total Rounds Fired= 447, (two 6rd mags w/ +1 extensions used)
    5 FTF (feed) total
    0 FTE
    0 FTF (fire)
    0 random jams

1st FTF: First day I bought the pistol without an initial cleaning I had a FTF @ count #2, with WWB ammo; I attributed this to not doing an initial cleaning and user error.

@Round count # 179 a fluff and buff polish was done at this point my P-3AT was digesting PMC Bronze ammo and WWB with no issues. I also tested Corbon DPX 14rounds (my carry ammo) no issues.

I typically shoot 25rds a range visit…once a week and clean the gun that day.  Hopps#9 and CLP.

2nd , 3rd , 4th FTF all occurred with back to back range sessions (two different days)  with Georgia Arms factory reloaded .380 ammo @ around~ 350rd count (first time I used the ammo).  I was concerned that something was going on with the pistol so I stopped shooting the GA-arms ammo and switched to PMC Bronze and Seller and Bellot ammo and since then the FTF’s has stopped. I also shoot another 20rds of Corbon DPX w/ 0 issues.  For the record I love Georgia Arms factory reloads all my other guns eat them up w/ 0 issues so I will continue to buy from them in other calibers but for me I will be hesitant of using it in my Kel-Tec.

Lesions I have learned:
    1) My Kel-Tec P-3AT is ammo sensitive and I suspect a lot of people in this board have had similar issues.
    2) The “Fluff and Buff” works very well every Kel-Tec should have one done. In addition each time I clean my P-3AT I also note where the wear is showing up and adjust the occlusion/wear accordingly with my dremal.
    3) I love my +1 mag extensions, the extra round is awesome and makes grip better in my hands, and this is huge advantage over the LCP in my opinion.
    4) I have a Gen. 2 so at every cleaning I tighten the extractor bolt.
    5) When changing magazines I always manually press down the mag-catch as to save on the plastic mag-catch wear.

For the experienced users on this forum is there anything I could add/improve on? Also for those of you with high round counts, how well has your Kel-Tec held up over a few thousand rounds. I plan on replacing the recoil springs at around 600-700rds.
    Thanks….Mike

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi, welcome aboard!

Add/improve on... A metal mag catch when they become available. Grip pads and sleeve. Painted sights. A second P3AT, one for most of your practice and the second for carry. Maybe a laser for your heavy practice P3AT (I say maybe because though I recently bought an Armalaser its not yet on the gun and tried out). Maybe a laser for your carry pistol?

Take care...

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Great 1st post. I think you have it all figured out. :cool:

4. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Good post, good information. Thanks for sharing.

Bo Bryant

5. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome...Always rember clean, lube, shoot..with plenty lube...

John