Range Report and a question!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by djsdad, Mar 12, 2008.

1. djsdad

djsdad New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Finally got to the range today to try out the new 3AT. Fired 200 rds. of WWB's, and 20 Federal Hydra-Shok. Out of the 220 rds. I had 2 FTE, but I believe it was me not the gun. One on each of the last 2 mags. I think my wrist was getting a little wore out and I limped it. I did the F&B this morning before I went and couldn't be more happy with this little beast! From all the reading I was expecting more recoil, but it really wasn't that bad, but still pretty stout for a gun of this size. I'm used to my G30 so recoil isn't an issue with me.

Question: How many of you have had an issue with the take down pin working loose while shooting? I didn't notice it until about the 10th mag, but I looked at it and the pin was sticking out about 1/8" or so. I pushed it back in and kept an eye on it for the rest of my range time. Each mag or so it would pop back out. I just kept my left thumb on it until the ammo was gone. I remember someone here had it slotted to keep it in. Where can I get that done to mine?

Overall, I'm very happy and now hooked. If I ever have an issue I can't deal with I know Kel-Tec will take care of it for me.

2. Some have placed on slot in the pin, then cut a slot on the head to ensure proper orentation of the slot in the pin.

Is the grip slightly buldged at the pin? The grip is designed to help retain the pin.

If it is buldged out a bit, a little heat (a hair dyrer will work) and pressure can re-shape the bulge.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    when you push it in, there should be a snap and then the pin cannot be pulled out with finger nail. there has been several that had the grip around the hole a little too thick for the pin to go in enough for the hair pin spring to snap into the reduce diameter under the head. Also the head should be nearly to touching the slide when fully installed.

the slotting the pin seems like a great ideal though

4. djsdad

djsdad New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I'll have to check out the frame to see if it has a bulge. I didn't notice one, but then again I wasn't looking for it either. I'll be cleaning it tomorrow so that will be a good time to check. Thanks for the info.

5. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I still think my grip is defective. I can push my pin in, it snaps and then it can be pushed right up against the slide. The chrome on the slide is rubbed off because it slides against the pin head.
    The only FTF I had was when the head was touching the slide, it must slow the slide down enough to make a difference.

I pull it out a hair with my fingernail and the gun cycles normally. That sucks. cant be adjusting pins while I am in a panic situation.

6. djsdad

djsdad New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Have you thought about sending it back? This is my first Kel-Tec, so I've never delt with the service dept. (yet), but sounds like they will take care of it. I may call them just to see what they say. We all paid good money for a tool or toy or both, so it could at least function properly. I have no problem with a break in period at all, I wouldn't trust my life with anything that is not proven reliable.

7. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I'd just like to add a comment about this forum. You guys are great! Almost every time I come in here I find something new, interesting, and/or helpful. I dunno what it is about "mousegun" owners that makes them so friendly and helpful but they are. I'll get off my soapbox for now. :)