Range: point and shoot vs using the sights

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Chris_L., Oct 17, 2008.

1. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

A thread was posted about painting the sights. I didn't want to steal that thread, but it got me thinking about how many people actually practice just pointing and shooting versus always using the sights. It is my belief that in an actual shooting situation many people probably don't even use the sights.

2. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    that is why i like to practice with a laser. i dont even need to look at the gun. shoot from the hip and concentrate on the target. even if it doesnt work for some reason, you still should be accurate. i love my CTC laser. it makes me so much more accurate plus it is fun as heck to shoot IMO

3. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I point shoot my KTs.

You mean the P3 HAS sights?

Never noticed. ;) ;D

4. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    With bifocales and trifocales, some of us have to point n shoot. no choice. :)

5. JB

JB Guest

Since I got my carry permit, I have been practicing both.  It makes sense that point-shooting would be the 'real world' use in a close-confrontation situation.  However, there is always the chance that an armed assailant would be partially hidden behind cover (a door jamb, etc. for instance), or even turned at a bit of a sidelong angle which would present a smaller target area - maybe too small for effective point shooting.  If in such a situation and I could neither get away or get to cover, myself - well, I'd probably be dead, in all honesty, if all I had to defend with was the P3AT (nothing against the weapon, just my take on the situation.)  That said, I would at least like to practice with the rudimentary 'sights' enough to give myself a chance at making a sighted shot at whatever part of the assailant remained exposed.  I sure as heck wouldn't count on being able to get .380 Hydrashocks to punch through cover and hit the assailant.  I do plan to add a laser to the P3, but the way my luck runs, the battery would choose that exact moment to be dead.

Of course, these are 'what if' situations that I (knock on wood) have a slim chance of finding myself in.  However, considering how few civilians ever actually need to fire a weapon in self-defense, I would say that the slim chance of finding ourselves in a 'what if' situation is the justification for most of us carrying, in the first place.

6. jst4kix

jst4kix New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Most experts will agree that we will respond the way we have trained the MOST. Hopefully, none of us will ever have to find out just what we'll do. I've been carrying for almost 40 years and have never removed a weapon in anger, but I stlll practice several times a month, probably 80% point and shoot, 20% using the sights. With any caliber, not just the P3 or P32

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    When I do aim with the P3 OR P40 I hold the gun between me & the target, line it up so I don't see the sides or top of the slide & cover the target.

Fast & reasonably accurate at any distance I'm going to be using these things.

For target shooting I use something else.

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Mostly point and shoot. Painted sights work better, because of more contrast, on my blued P3AT than my HC P3AT. Recently added ArmaLaser to my blued but have only shot it a little to roughly sight in the laser.

In primarily nasty weather I do alot of indoor practice (quick draw, off the X, etc.) with my Airsoft Glock 26. This is primarily practice for my real Glock 26 carry. Would really like an Airsoft modeled after the P3AT.

Take care...

9. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    +1 Good one, I know that frustration.

CK

10. bensin2

bensin2 Guest

I pratice both. You never know when you might need to aim.

Brent

11. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I also practice point & shoot, with/without laser. I also include sights.
    IMHO the most important part is the grip. If you grip correctly, it's much easier to hit what your looking at. Also included in gripping is your stance.
    Norton

12. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    + 1 on laser (ArmaLaser)

Point & Shoot: In CQB, if you have time to "find" the sights, you are already dead! :'(

13. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Love the Armalaser. Like to have the low light help, and the intimidation factor. But JB is right to practice different scenerios. Laser batteries could malfunction because of too much playing...I mean practicing. (animals DO love to chase the laser beam)

14. Gravity_Tester

Gravity_Tester New Member

May 29, 2007
    The P3 points quite well for me, and the shape of the slide is helpful as well. Even with the minimal sights, I can still chase a pop can around at about 10-15 yards.

15. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Going from floor(down) and using Point/Shoot with P-3AT practicing double tap and both with 24/7 9mm.  I usually hit center with 1st round and in the pie area second with P-3AT.