Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a beautiful day here in Eastern Iowa... 63 and sunny. My youngest son and I had the rural range to ourselves for most of the afternoon

Took some guns out for a workout against the steel at 10yds and 50yds

A wonderful day... and my 9mm and .38 reloads performed well! (As did the guns)

-Romanian Draco NAK9 9mm pistol with brace
-Made in Arizona Extar EP9 9mm pistol with brace
-Two Rossi M92 .357s, stainless and blued
-Taurus G3 pistol
-H&K VP9 pistol
- PSA AR9 rifle
- Hi-Point M995 9mm carbine

Photo_2020-04-25_06-05-31_PM.png
Photo_2020-04-25_06-10-32_PM.png

0425201442a_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I knew we had this thread...
Gave up on trying to tele-work and appease the flipping administrators that are scared of making good decisions for my department.

Recently I acquired a new shot gun, so today I grabbed it and another couple of guns for a range day. Came down from the highlands to my outdoor range for some decompression.
I brought the springfield range officer champion 1911 in 9mm, Taurus 605 SS3- a .357 j- frame clone, and for long guns my mossberg MVP in 5.56 nato and the new turkish 20 gauge semiauto- the fedarm FX3 made by Biriska? Been raining like heck up here, today being the only break in the weather for a while now.
springfield9mm.JPG

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3634.JPG

FX3-Right.jpg

So today was a great day, had the range to myself. Set up on the rifle range and started with the new one... last one pictured, the semi-auto 20 gauge. Just to learn the manual of arms I ran a whole box of some low brass fiocchi #8 shot thru it; 25 rds. No issues, everything went bang, ejected and fed perfectly. I brought this thing home and only inspected it, no cleaning- no added lube. Just loaded it and started shooting. 4 in the tube and one in the chamber, gives you 5 as fast as you want to pull the trigger. I got this to me, from gunbroker for $250 including shipping and transfer fees. It ate #8 low brass, #4 high brass, double 00 buck and 000 buck shot and 2 slugs. Only 2 slugs because the barrel has a fixed full choke, so there's the first problem... well sort of; because they still hit minute of bad guy at 12 yards. Brought along a big sheet of cardboard from the recent dishwasher that I replaced, to pattern the gun. For a full choke barrel it patterns like a cylinder bore. Both the #4 and the buck had about 12inches of spread at the same 12 yards, a lot wider than my expectations. As a whole the gun ran, pattern wasn't great, can't run slugs all day and the sights aren't the best, but it can dump all 5 rounds quick; and recoil is nice. Comes with a nice integrated rubber recoil pad and soaks up any felt recoil. Slugs and buckshot were noticeable but the #4 was gentle. Definitely youth or lady friendly. Other note worth mentioning is the handling and size. With the 18.5 inch barrel it's a smaller, quick to the shoulder gun. For what I paid, it exceeded my expectations. They can be had for cheap on the gunbroker, in both 12 and 20 gauges. Put 54 rounds thru that one...

Next I shot the pistols. Revolver first, then the 1911. Did a bunch of draw from concealed with the revolver drills, real slow. First I shot the revolver with some .38 specials, mainly cause it was hot and I'm fat from doing not enough with the pandemic crap, and I'm carrying this gun a lot lately.
For poops and haha's I can hit a paper plate at 70 feet; 2 out the 5 rounds on board... that was fun. Tried some weak hand stuff and can still hit also. Shot some from way out (70 feet), 15 yards and 7 yards...overall hits were 70-ish %. I was happy.
The springfield 9mm 1911 is just one of the nicest pistols I own. Shot 2 boxes of 115 grain fmj, and just grinned the whole time. It's a 1911...if you don't understand you probably have too many striker fired guns. I just played with straight up accuracy shots from all the distances mentioned above. I had a partial to full chub the whole time I shot this pistol, it just hits, even when I suck.
Last for the day was the mossberg MVP in 5.56 nato. It's got a sweet nikon buckmaster 3x9 on it. I've tuned it for the 62 grain hollow points I now have a small stockpile of. Checked it on paper at 100 yards, then started ringing my new steel plate; out at 200 yards. Sheer joy. I connected with the scope at 3x, 5x is like a sweet spot and at 9x it was almost boring... all off a rest.
Shot a total of 80 rounds thru this one, and discovered somethings about the rifle and myself. After 2.5 hours of shooting 3 different guns I was spent. I could hit from a rest just fine, but offhand or kneeling? I sucked. By this part of the day my arms were tired. I could not hit from offhand or kneeling to save my life. Next time, I'm shooting distance first. And my fat a** needs to walk some laps and do a pushup or 20.
Altogether it was a great day.
IMG_4311.JPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
It was a beautiful day here in Eastern Iowa... 63 and sunny. My youngest son and I had the rural range to ourselves for most of the afternoon

Took some guns out for a workout against the steel at 10yds and 50yds

A wonderful day... and my 9mm and .38 reloads performed well! (As did the guns)

-Romanian Draco NAK9 9mm pistol with brace
-Made in Arizona Extar EP9 9mm pistol with brace
-Two Rossi M92 .357s, stainless and blued
-Taurus G3 pistol
-H&K VP9 pistol
- PSA AR9 rifle
- Hi-Point M995 9mm carbine

View attachment 48076 View attachment 48078

View attachment 48082
Ha, ha...any day at the range is a beautiful day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts